Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep... buy an expensive MX or S and then have to charge at a SC because it’s free..
Makes a lot of sense. It’s like going to a Porsche dealership and asking what MPG you can expect... like it matters.
Yep. I’m on the 200 series land cruiser forums and no one is complaining about their $90k + rig getting 12 mpg. Also had 911s for years and Go on the PCCA forums for 911. No one is complaining about MPG there either, and I got 4-6 mpg in my GT3.

Boy, California sounds awesome! :rolleyes:
If you don't mind massive traffic jambs (on the way to crowded superchargers), sky high taxes, urine, feces, used condoms and hypodermic needles on the sidewalks, laws that encourages theft of less than $950 a pop (see San Fran small window break ins) and offshore fishing that does not even compare to yours then yeah, it's pretty nice here!

If you don't mind massive traffic jambs (on the way to crowded superchargers), sky high taxes, urine, feces, used condoms and hypodermic needles on the sidewalks, laws that encourages theft of less than $950 a pop (see San Fran small window break ins) and offshore fishing that does not even compare to yours then yeah, it's pretty nice here!

Low humidity though, so it's kind of a toss-up.

I think part of the issue is people. The more people you have, the more douchebags you have. The more douchebags you have, the more defensive and suspicious non-douchebags become.

Last edited:
I guess because your time is not valuable?;)

If you are lucky and the supercharger is the correct place and you plan well, you can get a charge well you handle other business.

I love that there is a charger a few minutes away from where I meet people on a regular basis. The supercharging saving, covers my parking cost.

That’s the most ridiculous argument. Gas/diesel costs money too (and more than electricity rates, even in California), whether the gas station is in your garage or down the street.

You are one of the people being discussed here. Glad you don’t own an S or X.

I think it is hard to expect people to not take advantage of a free perk given to them when they purchases their cars.

All the EV charging stations in my area are free, and though typically plugging in only save me $3 or $4 I love the idea of saving a few bucks. I guess being money concession is why I can buy a Tesla with cash.

Reactions: Russell
Charging at home costs money, especially with California electricity rates. If I had a S or X I would go charge for free.
Anyone that can afford a Tesla can afford to charge it. It's not running on anti-matter and dilithum crystals.

At my work they found out that giving away anything free to employees is rarely a good idea. It always leads to waste and theft. I'm sure free charging was a bad idea that sounded good to Elon at first.

CA is awesome . Weather, topography, diversity, Tesla. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Not perfect but I will take CA over any other state. To each his own.

Entitled people, at any age, income, region, etc..., can be d@$ks.

I charge at home, but if I were given free supercharging, and it was convenient for me to rely on that, then that's what I would do. And I can understand how someone given this, before the huge influx of model 3s, would feel possessive and entitled. I don't agree, and that person is a d@&k, but I understand the psychology there.

Though, the more these things happen, the less convenient it will be to SC, and the more people will begin to charge at home.

There are simple solutions others here have mentioned. Would be easy for Tesla to set up an electronic queuing system.

Also, if chargers were set up more like gas stations, where you have to get in line and then pull forward to go past the pump/charger, there would be a natural que. the problem with SC is when they are crowded, there is no natural way for everyone to agree on a que, and it is frequently not obvious visually. Leads to arguments when not everyone is paying attention, and when some decide they are more important than others in the world.

D@&ks gonna be d@&ks.

Boy, California sounds awesome! :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad we don't have these problems on the east coast. In almost 4 years, I have waited for a supercharger exactly twice. Once was in Connecticut at a location that only had 2 stalls at the time, and the other was in a temporary location at a shopping mall that isn't even there anymore. It seems to be getting a little more crowded with the introduction of the Model 3, but still not really an issue.

Reactions: gavine
Yes, free is good!

Yes but to save $25 ish a month (Supercharging vs. charging off peak at home) when you've spent between $50K and $140K on a car and then take an hour out of you day waiting in line and charging to save $5 a session is a strange value prioritization...

Great for road trips and opportunistic charging (I'm low, I'm close to a supercharger, there's an open slot and I have more driving around to do later today)

Last edited:
Yes but to save $25 ish a month (Supercharging vs. charging off peak at home) when you've spent between $50K and $140K on a car and then take an hour out of you day waiting in line and charging to save $5 a session is a strange value prioritization...

Great for road trips and opportunistic charging (I'm low, I'm close to a supercharger, there's an open slot and I have more driving around to do later today)

I've worked out my opportunity charging so that on Sunday, I go to the grocery store to buy food for the week, and SuC to 90% for my weekly commuting.

I'll hit the same Supercharger on my way out of town if we're going anywhere ~100 miles or more away.

I Supercharge roughly once a week, but neither of the Superchargers near me is ever over 50% in-use when I'm there, a side benefit of not living in California.

Ageist comments. Thought the Millenials had evolved past discrimination. Diversity and all that.

Also posting based on hearsay. Not cool.

I agree! As an "old guy" myself, I can assure you that (most) people in their 70s are fully capable of understanding how charging works! This sort of sweeping generalization is unhelpful, as is the age prejudice.
People of any age can be jerks, can lose their tempers, can have a bad day, etc. And you (the OP) does not even actually know how old these "old guys" were -- I agree, the hearsay is dangerous to rely upon.