Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Stations in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah! that was you! I was wondering...
Lots of easy, unique features about my car once you know what to look for. The easy one is the reflective decals that say "Solar Powered Electric Vehicle" on both sides and back.

Woodland was actually one of my first stops.

San Ramon Friday night (which is good since I hear it broke on Saturday...)
Woodland Sat afternoon
Davis Sat night
Dixon Sun morning
Vacaville Sunday lunch
Fairfield Sunday afternoon.

Tesla charger tour of Northern California... Whee!

Wow. If those were all full charges you could have gone to Disneyland and back a couple of times. :)

Tesla public charging station list at www.evchargernews.com

Tesla charging stations now have their own charger type at evchargernews.com. Check it out.

There is a special listing for all public Tesla charging stations. Later on, when they are more numerous, the listings will be divided by regions. For now, there is just one listing.

For the time being, EVChargerMaps shows Tesla charging stations as OC -- Other Conductive. Additional programming work will be required to add a new charging station type to the EV Charger Maps system. The best way to access the maps is through evchargernews.com. Start with the Tesla charger listing, then click on the map/comments link on that listing. That will take you to the proper map for the Tesla charging station. You are strongly encouraged to leave comments for each visit to a charging station, using the Add Comment button on the map page.

If you have any questions or corrections, either use the Add Comments function, or send an email to [email protected].

To report new locations, please use the form at http://www.evchargernews.com/chargerform.txt

Tom Dowling

Looks like I'll have to move from Chicago to California if I ever want to take a serious roadtrip. I've been searching pretty hard for any organizations interested in public chargers in the Midwest, and have come up empty.

Finding locations for chargers...

Looks like I'll have to move from Chicago to California if I ever want to take a serious roadtrip. I've been searching pretty hard for any organizations interested in public chargers in the Midwest, and have come up empty.

We've had more success with governments and electric utilities than with retail businesses. The same may hold true in Chicagoland.

eMail from Doug Korthof:
...I had the opportunity to drive the cross-country Tesla from Seal Beach to Menlo Park.
The central location for recharging a Tesla on the 101 is the Marsh St. Garage in San Luis Obispo, which also has Avcon and SPI inductive chargers for other EVs, but also a high-power Tesla charger on the South wall by the exit...
the SLO charging spot is about 220 miles from Lost Angeles, and the Tesla, if fully charged, has a REAL range over 230 miles, a nominal range over 250 miles. So it's theoretically possible to make it on one charge to SLO: the SLO high-performance charger is 70 amps at 203 volts, which is, west of the pecos, about 14 kW. So you can fill it up in about 4 hours, from empty to full;...
In addition, there is a "secret spot" with a 100a 240v charger in Paso Robles, so you can charge even faster than the Tesla charger.
From SLO, it's an easy 200 miles to the SF area, in my case, the Tesla store in Menlo Park...

The car can take that current then?

It might take the current ... but plenty of technical practical issues, so probably not. What would he use to get access to the 100A ? The HPC will only do 70A (pilot signal). An Avcon adapter does not handle more than 32A from what I've been told. And the charger firmware in the car would have to be modified to allow 100A.

I think he's referring to the difference between 203 and 240 (18% faster ... or more like 15% after voltage drop, but still significant time savings).

I once talked to a buyer in Hollister.

??Hollister ... would be too far away and unlikely be related to the PasoRobles spot.

ClipperCreek makes a 100 Amp (breaker rating, not output) version of the HPC, but the car doesn't (currently) accept charging at that rate. That could be what the "secret" charger is.

ClipperCreek offers a TS-70, 80, 90, and 100. The Tesla HPC is actually the TS-90, and the 70, 80, 90, & 100 in the model number refer to the breaker rating, not the actual delivered charging amps.

secret location

ClipperCreek makes a 100 Amp (breaker rating, not output) version of the HPC, but the car doesn't (currently) accept charging at that rate. That could be what the "secret" charger is.

ClipperCreek offers a TS-70, 80, 90, and 100. The Tesla HPC is actually the TS-90, and the 70, 80, 90, & 100 in the model number refer to the breaker rating, not the actual delivered charging amps.

I received an email from Doug. The so-called "secret" charger is a TS-90 (70A delivered) at an undisclosed residential location. It's faster than the one in SLO only because it's 240V rather than 208V. No mystery, really.

... No mystery, really.

Ya get cher charge simply by driving over it.
MysterySpot02.jpg

Santa Cruz CA