Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So taking delivery of MY again... Thursday and received my VIN this afternoon 183xxx confirmed with my SA that the car has been on the lot for about a week and a half and he couldn't tell me that it had arrived until they where able to release it today I am assuming. Confirmed that it does not have the Radar as suspected. I guess everyone is up all in arms about the radar removal as I am myself and I am on the fense should I take delivery or not.

The other thought is that there so confident on the tesla vision the might of pulled the trigger early but did they also upgrade the camera system in the car? That would make more sense to me for the removal of radar.

Reactions: Microterf
These takes being negative on Tesla improving their vision algorithms enough to not need (or soon not need) are mind-numbingly myopic.
I’m hopeful but really there is no evidence of that. They say they are removing radar because they have vision taken care of.... but do they really? They are taking features away for cars without the radar. They say in a few weeks they will be restored, but there isn’t really a good reason to believe what Tesla says in regards to timelines.

Eventually they'll turn off radar on all the older cars as well.
Do you not see that as a challenge given every car up until now was advertised as having "A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead."?

People will have a valid argument that they disabled a useful part of their car if it doesn't perform as well seeing cars ahead or in the fog or rain.

It’d be a bad idea if they haven’t already validated it, especially since Tesla‘s image as safe cars.
You'd think if it was validated they wouldn't need to remove features as part of the release that they "hope to enable soon with a software update"

It appears the validation they have done so far is "yep, this isn't as good yet."

Let's do a "what Elon means" breakdown:

"Pure vision Autopilot is now rolling out in North America."- Some cars in the factory no longer have radar, so by definition these are pure vision cars. Brand new cars have this software. So it's "rolling out." He didn't mean any existing car will get this.

"There will be an update of this production release in 2 weeks" - I hope you read this and think the various limits will be removed in two weeks, but all I mean is there will be some update, it probably adds dark mode to the 2048 game.

"then FSD beta V9.0 (also pure vision) a week later." - to our internal employees.

"FSD subscription will be enabled around the same time." - But not *at* the same time, so just keep waiting, it still 2 time periods away.

To me, all of this reads to a current customer like "you will be getting no changes to your system in any time that even I am willing to predict"

Going for the two-fer on this one.

sassy.gif
200.gif

Having gone through the AP2 migration, this is really bad news for new owners. Unless @verygreen says they have been collecting data for this for a while, seems like a hail Mary to save delivery numbers for the quarter. Was waiting for tax credit and updated headlights to take delivery on my Y, but now I'll get no radar and probably a crappy AP experience until they flush out all the issues. Also not sure how they can deal with fog and heavy rain without radar.

Otherwise, not much else has changed in terms of AP functionality.
Yeah, just the removal of smart summon, one of the 6 features listed as what you get with FSD and the ultimate party trick Tesla likes to show off. The only feature where they were willing to go more than 30 feet with nobody in the car. No biggie.

tesla‘s AP testing and validation stack has matured a lot since the abrupt AP2 transition.
Not removing any features is what I'd expect from a mature testing and validation stack. They had zero of this back in AP2, so saying it has matured a lot isn't saying much.

It would not be unreasonable to draw the conclusion that they cannot get as many radars as they want right now, and are prioritizing the S&X because those are lower-volume cars and the customers are individually more important to them.
This is only a logical sentence if you have the background that removal of radar is a bad thing for your customers at this time.
If removal of radar was good, they would have prioritized removing it from the S/X first.
If it was neutral, it wouldn't matter.