Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla confirms Model 3 will have less than 60kWh battery option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a long-running existing thread about this topic at Tesla confirms Model 3 will have less than 60kWh battery option

Mods please merge.
Vice-President of Investor Relations, Jeff Evanson said the bare bone Model ≡ would start with a less than 60 kWh battery pack. Its cost is less than $190/kWh so the $35,000 price is profitable.

It will use steel in addition to aluminum so although the chassis itself is heavier but because the car is 20% smaller than Model S the overall weight should compensate to give you 215 mile range.

You've given the Bolt the ability to use all of it's 60kWh pack size, which it won't do in the real world. If anything I would expect GM to be more conservative and use a smaller percentage of total kWh than Tesla.

This is very true, GM likes to make EVs "easy" so you just plug in and charge to "full" which they set at a safe buffer amount.

In some ways, I like GMs take on this versus Teslas. Let the engineers set the car up for proper battery management instead of making me do it. Sure I might miss out on the ability to "range" charge when traveling long distance, but then I would just work within the existing SOC range limits imposed when planning a trip.

I'd rather have the options to use more of the pack if I want. I like to have more control over my own vehicle, not less. It's not as if Tesla is forcing you to check your cells with a volt meter and balance them manually ;) You can "GM" your Tesla if you wish, set your charge percentage at 80% or whatever you like and forget about it.

I'd rather have the options to use more of the pack if I want. I like to have more control over my own vehicle, not less. It's not as if Tesla is forcing you to check your cells with a volt meter and balance them manually ;) You can "GM" your Tesla if you wish, set your charge percentage at 80% or whatever you like and forget about it.
Right. I believe the default setting is around 90% anyways. No reason to cater to the lowest common denominator, when you can allow more functionality via settings.

Reactions: brianman
Both GM (in the Spark EV) and Tesla set the usable capacity to about 95-96% of the battery's rated capacity.

Tesla currently provides the setting to limit the recharge level to less than that. It's presumed this will also be allowable in the Model 3. We don't know if the Bolt EV will get additional settings beyond what is in the Spark EV.

If the car is only more efficient from a locomotive standpoint (lower Cd, CdA, lower rolling resistance tires, more efficient motor, etc...) then while the relative percentage of power draw from other loads (cabin heating, lights & accessories, etc...) increases, although the total draw for those loads may not.

For example: If the S draws 350Wh/mi at a given speed with the heater on, the heater accounting for 75Wh/mi of that draw and the locomotive draw 275Wh/mi, then the heater load represents 75/350= 21% of the overall power load.

The reason why accessory load impacts can't simply be mitigated by efficiency improvements, esp. when done only on the locomotive side as you term it, is because accessory load doesn't scale by mile, but rather by time (it is a fixed kW load that does not vary with speed).

The Model S has a 6kW cabin heater (and separate 6kW pack heater). According to the below, average draw for cabin heater is about 1-2 kW when car has fully warmed up. So together probably a 3-4kW draw including all accessory loads.
Cold Weather Driving

Then let's go back to the post where this dicussion began.
I played around with Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com

Assuming the Model 3 is slightly heavier than the Bolt at 3,800 lbs, I get:

The Bolt would need 14.7kW @ 65 mph, and 21.2 kW @ 75 mph.
The Model 3 would need 10.8kW @ 65 mph, and 15.1 kW @ 75 mph.

Of course, this doesn't include the actual power consumption of the climate controls, the onboard computers, etc.
That suggests Bolt needs 60.8kWh usable to get 215 miles of range at 75mph, and Model 3 needs 43.3 kWh usable to get 215 miles of range at 75mph (not including other loads). However, throw in the winter accessory load at 4kW and that bumps numbers to 72.2kWh and 54.8kWh respectively (the air density also changes numbers, but for simplicity I didn't factor those in).

To get back to the original topic of small vs large batteries, that would appear to be a 45kWh battery (as suggested by "small battery" advocates) vs a 55kWh battery (as I predict).

Using that calculator, I get 4.53kW (6.08hp) rolling resistance load at 75mph for 3800 lbs.
The Model S pack is around 150Wh/kg, so the additional 10kWh will weigh 66kg or 146 lbs, and I get 3946 lbs total, and 4.71kW (6.31hp) rolling resistance load. So a penalty of ~0.2kW for that extra weight.

Going back, the baseline is 45kWh (42.75 usable at 95%DOD) at 3800 lbs using 15.1 kW @ 75mph, giving 212 miles of range. With 4kW winter accessory load, that drops to 168 miles.

55kWh (52.25 usable) at 3946 lbs using 15.3 kW @ 75mph, gives 256 miles of range. With 4kW winter accessory load, that drops to 203 miles.

Note: none of the numbers above include parasitic/overhead loss (and I'm just using the 3800 lb assumption as OP did), so these numbers are not necessarily representative of the Model 3 and are only being used to illustrate the point.

As you can see, the larger capacity (22% usable gain in my hypothetical) only cost a 1.3% loss in efficiency (0.2kW out of 15.1kW @ 75mph) and this would be a great help in winter loads and makes it possible for Tesla to keep the "200 miles" promise even in slightly more adverse conditions (while a small battery would struggle).

Last edited:
Reactions: jkk_ and Zoomit

Ah, but based on what I have read here, if I do set it at 80% and forget it, the pack will eventually start reading less range than it actually has. To fix it, you have to do a couple of 100% charges and drive it down to let the pack re-program it's range. Sure, that's pretty easy to do, I suppose, but I will admit I do like my Volt's completely set and forget programming.

Numbers are somewhat contrived to show an example ...
Nice Weather
Bolt @ 70 mph
200 mile range
60 kWh useable
300 Wh per mile: 175 Aero, 125 Wh other

M3 @ 70 mph
200 mile range
50 kWh useable
250 Wh per mile: 125 Wh Aero, 125 Wh other

Now, winter driving where all resistances increase 20% and speed drops from 70 to 62 mph which result in the same Aero friction as nice weather
Bolt @ 62 mph
175 Aero, Other = 125*1.2 = 150 Wh/mile = 325 Wh/mile total
Range: 60,000 Wh / 325 Wh/mile ---> 185 miles

M3 @ 62 mph
125 Aero, 125*1.2 = 150 Wh/mile = 275 Wh/mile total
Range: 50,000 Wh/275 Wh/mile = 181 miles

----
The other way to qualitatively think about this is any additional load to the cars is a smaller Wh/mile fractional increment to the Bolt than the M3 because it starts at a higher number, and since the drop in range in proportional to the increase in Wh/mile, the Bolt will have less of a drop in range than an M3.

Prius owners with poor arithmetic skills put up quite a fuss in the day, complaining of 10 - 20% drop in fuel economy when AC cooling was used, compared to a ~ 1-2 mpg drop in their old clunkers ;-)
The somewhat unfortunate marketing reality for the M3 is that the EPA test is performed in pretty nice conditions, so a lot of the "real world" driving experience will be in harsher conditions where the proportional increase will be more apparent.

(Ignoring the fact that you incorrectly rounded the Model 3's Winter range down (from 181.8) but the Bolt's range up (from 184.6... really only a 2.2 mile difference, not 4.... )

I'd also suggest your relative power draws are skewed... there's no way that the accessory draw on my Model S is 125 Wh/mi in nice weather. I'd say more like less than 50.

In any case, the point I made previously was that:

scaesare said:
All of this means that a smaller battery may be selected to to achieve the same range as well as provide the same auxiliary functionality (heating,etc...) when efficiencies are gained in any one area.

While the overall driveline efficency difference in your examples is 100-(125/175)=29%, the actual overall power delta in your examples is 100-(275/325)=15%. Yet in this instance you arbitrarily suggested a 17% difference in pack size between the two vehicles.

I'd suggest that, as per my comment above, selecting a battery 17% smaller, when you know your efficiency is less than that, is not a correct selection, and your example is arbitrary.

Lets consider models using the 60KWh Bolt pack size you suggest above as a starting point but correct battey selection for the Model 3. I'll also use your same ratios of locomotive to accessory power.

If the Bolt pack is 60KWh, then given the 15% increase in overall efficiency your numbers produce, the correct battery size for the Model # should be 60 * .85 = 51KWh

Good weather Bolt:
Usable energy: 60Wkh usable
Range target: 200 miles
Locomotive power: 175 Wh/mi
Accessory power: 125 Wh/mi
Total power draw: 300 Wh/mi
Actual Range: 200 miles

Good weather Model 3:
Usable energy: 51Wkh usable
Range target: 200miles
Locomotive power: 125 Wh/mi
Accessory power: 125 Wh/mi
Total power draw: 250 Wh/mi
Actual Range: 204 miles

Using your same 20% increase in cold weather:

Cold weather Bolt:
Usable energy: 60Wkh usable
Locomotive power: 175 Wh/mi
Accessory power: 125*1.2=150 Wh/mi
Total power draw: 325Wh/mi
Cold weather range: 185 miles

Cold weather Model 3:
Usable energy: 51Wkh usable
Locomotive power: 125 Wh/mi
Accessory power: 125*1.2=150 Wh/mi
Total power draw: 275 Wh/mi
Cold weather range: 185 miles

So, the correct engineering decision in this case in my opinion is to select for the the overall power draw necessary, knowing what the accessory load percentages will require.

Of course with the Bolt's advertised 60KWh capacity, that's not usable energy as your example assumes (and same would be true for Model 3). I also believe your power draw numbers are skewed.

It's the internet, there are always plenty of people to fight with. Not sure why you seem to be upset that I pointed out two significantly different metrics you used for comparison, which rather invalidate any conclusion you may come up with.
I think his point was that for his example, the exact numbers do not matter. The usable can be adjusted and it won't really change his conclusion.

His main point was a less efficient car with a larger battery is less impacted by a fixed Wh/mi (25Wh/mi in his example, 300 to 325 for Bolt, 250 to 275 for Model 3) increase in consumption than a more efficient car with a smaller battery.

This is very true, GM likes to make EVs "easy" so you just plug in and charge to "full" which they set at a safe buffer amount.

In some ways, I like GMs take on this versus Teslas. Let the engineers set the car up for proper battery management instead of making me do it. Sure I might miss out on the ability to "range" charge when traveling long distance, but then I would just work within the existing SOC range limits imposed when planning a trip.
This is why we can't have nice things. Tesla has already delivered this. Leave it at the default (90%, Daily) and just use the vehicle. No fuss, no muss. Tesla's version isn't "making you do" anything.

I think his point was that for his example, the exact numbers do not matter. The usable can be adjusted and it won't really change his conclusion.

Except using the larger 60kWh pack as total usable capacity ends up with the Bolt getting 185 miles of range vs the 3 getting 181 miles of range in his winter driving scenario, which projects an inaccurate picture. I'll concede that wasn't his main point.

Except using the larger 60kWh pack as total usable capacity ends up with the Bolt getting 185 miles of range vs the 3 getting 181 miles of range in his winter driving scenario, which projects an inaccurate picture. I'll concede that wasn't his main point.

The point is that winter weather will have a larger impact on a smaller battery car than a larger battery car, which is true. He should have used totally made up numbers to show the point and not even labeled them Bolt and 3. To pick apart one small thing ignoring the fact that all the other numbers were made up as well makes no sense. Actually I thought the most unrealistic part of his numbers is that background draw in winter weather was 1.2 times the summer weather background draw. Whereas it is several times the summer weather background draw (on the other hand it overestimated the summer background draw).

Reactions: jkk_