Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla dealerships getting ready for new MYs and M3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Example time. In Connecticut (and a handful of other states), Tesla's cannot be sold out of their SERVICE CENTERS or even within the state lines due to Tesla not being a DEALERSHIP or following the DEALERSHIP model of sale. Actual dealership groups in CT are in fact suing Tesla, and lobbying against them to stop them from selling in CT as they DO NOT follow their model. If this doesnt tell one that SCs are not dealerships, nothing will. It may be splitting hairs, but it is what it is.

Onto the not being demos available. Again, this happens every end of quarter. I have picked up 4 Teslas, 3 being at the end of the quarter. Never has there been a demo available. I asked why, as I wanted to inquire about buying one and was advised at the end of quarter, they are given the OK to place the demos for sale at significant price reductions to get them out the door. He stated some come available at random times, but end of quarter, they all go.

I have to agree with the above, though, as new features have to play a point here. Given the 3/Y being so hot of a vehicle, their new features for 2022, it only makes sense to push those 21s out even faster.

Reactions: Suns
I walked by our local Tesla store in Mission Viejo, CA yesterday and noticed they did not have any demo cars as they always do. They always had a M3 and a MY for people to check out in the store. Has anyone else noticed the same in their local stores? I am speculating they are getting ready to soon demo the 2022 models?
Same with Irvine. I suspect they would the demos to push EOY numbers.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
If you are following the Tesla news along then you know what I mean. If you don’t, then there is no point in arguing over it here. If that’s your thought process you should take delivery of anything that is handed to you. Some of us would prefer delaying delivery for a few weeks but instead get 4680 battery, AMD Ryzen, new headlights, rear double glass pane, etc.
If you think all that is coming in a few weeks, well, more power to you.

People have been speculating about the headlights for over a year. Still nothing. 4680 hasn’t even been approved for volume production (Berlin is even starting production with 2170 cells). China has had the new door panels for over half a year and nothing in the US yet.

There’s no cars to drive because there never is at the end of quarters because as others have said they sell them. They’ve been doing this with the 3 and Y since they were released.

People like you will always find a reason to delay delivery for whatever the “next” feature rumor is. You’re more likely to have things taken away like radar and lumbar then things added. Or with how Tesla has been lately just having your order cancelled outright.

Reactions: Hexo09
If you think all that is coming in a few weeks, well, more power to you.

People have been speculating about the headlights for over a year. Still nothing. 4680 hasn’t even been approved for volume production (Berlin is even starting production with 2170 cells). China has had the new door panels for over half a year and nothing in the US yet.

There’s no cars to drive because there never is at the end of quarters because as others have said they sell them. They’ve been doing this with the 3 and Y since they were released.

People like you will always find a reason to delay delivery for whatever the “next” feature rumor is. You’re more likely to have things taken away like radar and lumbar then things added. Or with how Tesla has been lately just having your order cancelled outright.
I am willing to delay delivery until I get those. I am not in a rush. A car purchase is arguably your second largest purchase after a home and I purchased my current car 6 years ago. So Some of us don’t mind taking delivery a bit later but get the latest bang for the buck. Most people keep a car for 5 years on average.

Reactions: Kenfucius and Suns
I am willing to delay delivery until I get those. I am not in a rush. A car purchase is arguably your second largest purchase after a home and I purchased my current car 6 years ago. So Some of us don’t mind taking delivery a bit later but get the latest bang for the buck. Most people keep a car for 5 years on average.
Then don’t place an order until they are confirmed that they are being built. Tesla is done with the indefinite holds and if you put your order on hold for months on end they’ll cancel it or force you to remove the hold. But by that point they’ll be the next gotta have thing.

Everyone seems to really want the 4680 cells but what most don’t seem to get is that Tesla will probably reduce the battery pack size and keep overall range similar to what it’s at now. Battery material costs are just going up and with the Cybertruck, Semi, and all the other products Tesla is trying to bring to market the demand for the 4680’s are gonna be through the roof. If the cells are as efficient as they say they’ll just keep the current range with less cells. Demand is still there and there’s no any competitors that are really blowing them out of the water on range right now.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Your story has changed. Now you moved closer to what people have been saying since you started with the "real" 2022 assertion. In any case while you may be willing to delay indefinitely Tesla is no longer willing to allow that and they are cancelling orders that people don't act on. Unless you wait until the majority of cars built have what you want there will be risk you won't get what you want.

Then don’t place an order until they are confirmed that they are being built. Tesla is done with the indefinite holds and if you put your order on hold for months on end they’ll cancel it or force you to remove the hold. But by that point they’ll be the next gotta have thing.

Everyone seems to really want the 4680 cells but what most don’t seem to get is that Tesla will probably reduce the battery pack size and keep overall range similar to what it’s at now. Battery material costs are just going up and with the Cybertruck, Semi, and all the other products Tesla is trying to bring to market the demand for the 4680’s are gonna be through the roof. If the cells are as efficient as they say they’ll just keep the current range with less cells. Demand is still there and there’s no any competitors that are really blowing them out of the water on range right now.

What's wrong with placing an order and delaying delivery? Tesla clearly allows that to happen so what's the big deal? If I delay, someone like you, who wants their Tesla earlier regardless of what feature it has, will get a chance to do so. I have locked in a price that is $5k cheaper than the price today. We do not have to convince each other one way or another. I simply stated a fact that I observed and made a speculation and clearly said so in my original post.

Last edited:
Your story has changed. Now you moved closer to what people have been saying since you started with the "real" 2022 assertion. In any case while you may be willing to delay indefinitely Tesla is no longer willing to allow that and they are cancelling orders that people don't act on. Unless you wait until the majority of cars built have what you want there will be risk you won't get what you want.
I dont think I have changed my story. Your perception of what I said might have changed. The expected changes for 2022 are all over the internet and multiple places on this forum. That is what some of us call 2022. Now not all may show up at the same time, which is fine. But I will delay delivery if I feel those changes are imminent.

What's wrong with placing an order and delaying delivery? Tesla clearly allows that to happen so what's the big deal? If I delay, someone like you, who wants their Tesla earlier regardless of what feature it has, will get a chance to do so. I have locked in a price that is $5k cheaper than the price today. We do not have to convince each other one way or another. I simply stated a fact that I observed and made a speculation and clearly said so in my original post.
Telsa isn't allowing it anymore:

They'll allow short holds, or one deferral, but their material costs are rising and they aren't going to continue to let people keep an order on hold indefinitely or delay it. There was a member who couldn't pick the car up the day Tesla wanted him to and they cancelled his order:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Here's another newly posted example to go with the previous ones:

Reactions: WhiteWi and leaftoy
Here's another newly posted example to go with the previous ones:

That's what I was afraid of. All these people getting themselves Osborned and playing perpetual hold game. When Tesla starts cracking down on it, it is not just these folks who are caught. Others with legitimate reasons to put their order on brief hold (like vacation during Christmas!) are also hurt. For no fault of their own.

That's what I was afraid of. All these people getting themselves Osborned and playing perpetual hold game. When Tesla starts cracking down on it, it is not just these folks who are caught. Others with legitimate reasons to put their order on brief hold (like vacation during Christmas!) are also hurt. For no fault of their own.
Yeap, all the smart a holes made it sucky for everyone.

Reactions: leaftoy
Telsa isn't allowing it anymore:

They'll allow short holds, or one deferral, but their material costs are rising and they aren't going to continue to let people keep an order on hold indefinitely or delay it. There was a member who couldn't pick the car up the day Tesla wanted him to and they cancelled his order:

Yeah thanks, I saw that. I certainly dont plan on delaying delivery for several months but may do it once if it seems worth at the time.