Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Debuts Model Y Crossover SUV – 7 Seats, 300 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla unveiled its latest vehicle Thursday night – the Model Y crossover SUV.

As expected, the vehicle blends the design language of both the Model 3 sedan and the Model X SUV. In an effort to streamline production, the Model Y shares 75% of parts with the Model 3.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-12.34.50-AM.png
The vehicle is also offered in the same configurations as the Model 3 – Standard, Long Range RWD, Dual Motor AWD, and Performance.

Model Y Performance specs:

Battery – Long Range

Acceleration – 3.5s 0-60 mph

Range – 280 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 20″ Performance Wheels

Max Cargo Volume – 65 cu ft

Top Speed – 150 mph

Displays – 15″ Center Touchscreen

Supercharging – Pay Per Use

Price: $60,000

Deliveries: Fall 2020

Model Y Dual Motor AWD specs:

Battery – Long Range

Acceleration – 4.8s 0-60 mph

Range – 280 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 18″ or 19″

Top Speed – 135 mph

Price: $51,000

Model Y Long Range RWD specs:

Battery – Long Range

Acceleration – 5.5s 0-60 mph

Range – 300 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Rear-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 18″ or 19″

Top Speed – 130 mph

Price: $47,000

Model Y Standard specs:

Battery – Standard

Acceleration – 5.9s 0-60 mph

Range – 230 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Rear-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 18″ or 19″

Top Speed – 120 mph

Price: $39,000

Deliveries: Spring 2021

Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-12.34.16-AM.png
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk opened the presentation saying “There was a time when electric cars seemed very stupid.”

He then rolled out every vehicle produced by Tesla – Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3, the next-gen Roadster and the Semi. Musk said the company has produced about 550,000 cars to date and will hit a million in the next 12 months.

He said he expects the Model Y to outsell the Model S and X combined.

Following the presentation from the Tesla Design Center in Los Angeles, the automaker quickly updated its website to accept orders for the the Model Y. See more details at Model Y | Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back row seats seem to be a waste of space. I suspect a four or five seat configuration will be hugely popular. Love the unobstructed glass roof. I would have liked to see some footage with the hatchback open without the back row of seats. I'm sure those images will come soon. Definitely a copy/paste of Model 3 which is very smart and expected. Should be able to ramp production relatively easily.

Side note...I'm sure all the bears will say it's a distraction from the company's problems. Just adds to production liabilities. Sign of reduced demand. Yada, yada, yada.

Dan

Doesn't look tall enough to be a crossover. Lot's of people, particularly over 60's, like crossovers because of their ride height and ease of getting in and out.

Interesting to see it side by side with a Vauxhall Mokka, VW Tiguan, Nissan Qashqai or Renault Captur etc.

So I just speced out a Model Y on the configurator to the same specs as my Model 3. It comes out $1500 CHEAPER than what I paid! Wow, this car is a deal. Needless to say, if the Model Y had been available when I ordered my Model 3 I would have ordered a Y instead without a second thought.

Dan

Same here - I have a black RWD 3 with premium package and EAP. $54k+ tax/delivery. A Y with AP instead of EAP is $50k + tax/delivery. (Or $55k with NoA/summon/autopark)

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
My Model S is just coming up to the end of its warranty period. I've been waiting on buying the extended warranty until the Y reveal. Based on this, I think that though the Y is probably what I'd buy if I were buying today, it's not compelling enough to get me to hurry to ditch my (wonderful, beloved, etc etc) four year old 85D.

There are two specific features of my S that my family likes over my wife's 3: heated steering wheel, and rear hip room (it's not unusual for us to have four adults and a kid in the car). It looks like the Y won't have a heated steering wheel, just like the 3 doesn't. And while I don't see hip room specs posted anywhere, I'm going to guess seating is exactly the same as the 3: possible, but kind of cramped for three-across. I also don't love that to get the same functionality I have with AP1 now, I need to order a $8k option and be insulted by calling it "full self driving". I reckon in 4 years, things may have improved on that front, and besides, it's at least 2 years before I could have my butt in the driver's seat of a Y anyhow.

Why is the Y what I'd buy if I were buying today? Hatch, cargo space, and because even though the hip room and heated wheel would be hard to walk away from, if I didn't already have them in my driveway they aren't enough to swing a new purchase decision. For me, the SUV styling is a negative, but the styling is muted enough that I can hold my nose and live with it. I do like the S look better, but I'm not a big car ego guy, so that's OK.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to get the 4 year extended warranty and continue to enjoy my S for a while longer.

Reactions: 365gtb4
So I just speced out a Model Y on the configurator to the same specs as my Model 3. It comes out $1500 CHEAPER than what I paid! Wow, this car is a deal. Needless to say, if the Model Y had been available when I ordered my Model 3 I would have ordered a Y instead without a second thought.

Dan

Assuming this is only for the US market at initial launch, the Y price factors in the loss of the federal tax rebate so Model Y is still more expensive. It is safe to assume that Model 3 price will be cut once that Y starts selling at the same time.

Reactions: jgs
I, like many Americans, didn't make enough to qualify for the full tax credit. So, it's a non issue.

Dan

If your federal tax liability is at least $3750, you will get full fed tax credit. Even the average US household federal tax liability is about $8400 from a household income of about $62K in 2018. Regardless, I can't imagine the average US household spending $40K+ on a car either so not sure how anyone who buys a Tesla can't get max fed tax credit. If you are a small business owner who is still writing off large losses from prior years, I could understand, but that is not your average household.

If your federal tax liability is at least $3750, you will get full fed tax credit. Even the average US household federal tax liability is about $8400 from a household income of about $62K in 2018. Regardless, I can't imagine the average US household spending $40K+ on a car either so not sure how anyone who buys a Tesla can't get max fed tax credit. If you are a small business owner who is still writing off large losses from prior years, I could understand, but that is not your average household.
I bought in October.

Also, people do save up for things sometimes. I had over two years to save for what I knew I wanted. Not all Tesla customers are rich.

Dan

I bought in October.

Also, people do save up for things sometimes. I had over two years to save for what I knew I wanted. Not all Tesla customers are rich.

Dan

You should have adjusted your withholdings to ensure you owed enough to take advantage of the tax credit. It is a single form with a couple of boxes you give to payroll dept. at work.

I bought in October.

Dan

That's great to hear and I totally respect your financial discipline. I was only debating Tesla's pricing strategy of the Model 3 versus Y so I'm pretty sure they are pricing based on the belief that 99.9% of Tesla purchasers will qualify for the full tax credit. Lastly, it will all be moot because none of us will get a tax credit on any Tesla by the time Model Y is ready for purchase. However, I speculate that Tesla will lower prices to help compensate so the price of the models from lowest to highest (equally equipped) will be 3 < Y < S < X < Roadster.

Even the average US household federal tax liability is about $8400 from a household income of about $62K in 2018. Regardless, I can't imagine the average US household spending $40K+ on a car either so not sure how anyone who buys a Tesla can't get max fed tax credit.

Most people who don't live on the coasts can finance a Tesla just with the housing savings alone vs. residents of CA, NY, etc.

Our household income is around that (maybe slightly more) and while it may not have been the most fiscally-responsible decision I've ever made, I'm certainly in no danger of defaulting on my payments anytime soon.

Disclaimer, I am not a tax accountant.

I bought in October.

I guess it depends on how you define "rich". This article estimates that "a single taxpayer with no dependents would need around $47,000 of income (after subtracting the standard deduction and personal exemption) to have a tax liability of around $7500 in order to offset the $7500 tax credit" so +12k for the standard deduction puts the estimate up to something like $59k of before-tax pay, which I imagine few people would classify as "rich".

In any case, kudos on your saving discipline.
You should have adjusted your withholdings to ensure you owed enough to take advantage of the tax credit.
The same article points out that this is mistaken: "If you withheld $7500 of federal income tax during the year, you would still qualify for the $7500 of credit and get it as a refund."