Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla deletes cheap Cybertruck from its website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the great reviews of the RT1 I am certainly considering Rivian, especially if Tesla increases the price of Cybertruck
The RT1 appears to be a great vehicle. When the Cybertruck finally goes into production, at least two years after the November 2019 reveal, it seems certain that pricing will be significantly higher given the passage of time and price increases of critical components due to supply chain issues.
In it's prospectus, Rivian said it won't be able to deliver all it pre-orders for a few years. You may have quite a wait.
Agreed. Just like Tesla back in 2012 with the S and 2017 with the 3, Rivian is going to face challenges in ramping up production. It’s recent prospectus statement shows the company is well aware of that issue.

Whether you want a Cybertruck or an RT1 or an F 150 Lightning, you are going to be waiting for awhile before it appears in your driveway.

Reactions: mspohr
There were many cost saving reasons prior to supply chain issues that the cybertruck was so well priced for a full size truck with amazing specs, I recall those being:

• 4680 in house batteries
  • No paint
  • Cheap steel requiring no bending
  • Manufacturing optimizations already learned

Why does supply issues/transitory inflation mean we will get hit with a 10K surcharge? I can accept some premium, but 10K? wow!

I hope it will just mean 39K single motor is out of the question now and we will get the following:

1. Dual Motor - 49K-55k
  2. Tri-Motor - 69K-75k
  3. Quad Motor (plaid level pricing) - 89k-99k

There were many cost saving reasons prior to supply chain issues that the cybertruck was so well priced for a full size truck with amazing specs, I recall those being:

• No paint

Why does supply issues/transitory inflation mean we will get hit with a 10K surcharge? I can accept some premium, but 10K? wow!

I hope it will just mean 39K single motor is out of the question now and we will get the following:

1. Dual Motor - 49K-55k
  2. Tri-Motor - 69K-75k
Pricing got released? Or is this “10k surcharge” speculation/FUD?

• No paint

1. Dual Motor - 49K-55k
  2. Tri-Motor - 69K-75k
Only Dual and Quad will be produced.

Reactions: JBT66
Let's revisit when I'm right.
My speculation FWIW taking into account Tesla's past actions is that the low cost single motor version will probably be like the low cost Model 3. That is, it will not be outright cancelled but put into lowest priority for production so that you will have to wait years (even more years) if you want one. They may eventually deliver some if demand for more expensive versions decreases (not likely) and production capacity increases.

My speculation FWIW taking into account Tesla's past actions is that the low cost single motor version will probably be like the low cost Model 3. That is, it will not be outright cancelled but put into lowest priority for production so that you will have to wait years (even more years) if you want one. They may eventually deliver some if demand for more expensive versions decreases (not likely) and production capacity increases.
I think perhaps the addition of rear-wheel steering may not allow that. I think they're only going with even numbered motors because that's more compatible.

Let's revisit when I'm right.
No idea if you have an insider source or not, but Tesla doing dual + quad only at launch and for the first few years makes the most sense.

With the quad, tri motor doesn’t make a ton of sense.

A single motor truck might make an appearance once demand is tamed, but it doesn’t make sense for them to retool for that for quite a long time.

I just hope if the price on the quad is higher than the tri motor pricing they increase the range on the dual motor significantly so it’s more viable for me.

No idea if you have an insider source or not, but Tesla doing dual + quad only at launch and for the first few years makes the most sense.

With the quad, tri motor doesn’t make a ton of sense.

A single motor truck might make an appearance once demand is tamed, but it doesn’t make sense for them to retool for that for quite a long time.

I just hope if the price on the quad is higher than the tri motor pricing they increase the range on the dual motor significantly so it’s more viable for me.

I have no problem stopping for 15 minutes at a Tesla Supercharger on the few long distance trips I take (provided they don't require that I stop near a cattle feed lot, which I just find too upsetting to deal with). That was why we decided against the extended range Model 3 - we figured that having to stop for a few minutes wasn't worth the extra $9000!

Point being, how many more charging stations get built is the X factor for all EVs, not just the Cybertruck.