Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Discontinuing Corded Mobile Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see these are now down to $200, and also that they are backordered. For $200 I suppose so. Does anybody know if these were a blow-out deal and are discontinued, or?

Thanks!

That one has been out of stock forever. They came back briefly in stock like middle of 2022 and I got one, but I haven’t seen them back again (although haven’t really checked as regularly after I got mine).

Keep the product page open and refresh it a couple times throughout the day. It might come back briefly on and off with limited stock so you have to catch it at the right time. The stock alert email never came when they came in stock and I got mine. Just happened to refresh the page and saw it was in stock so ordered immediately.

I am actually surprised they have kept it around this long. It's based on the older 40A mobile connector technology they shifted away from in 2018/2019.
Indeed that is weird. I still want one though :) As long as you have a good 14-50 outlet it should be safe.

My guess is all the cheap $10 home improvement 14-50s is the reason they capped it to 32A on the latest generation.

Reactions: Snerruc
PSA: Mine is going bad and started overheating at the plug and throttling back amperage, even if I initially reduce the max amperage to 32. Verified no issues with outlet or wiring and gen 2 UMC with 14-50 adapter at 32 amp works fine with no heat issues or throttling.

I bought it last July so less than a year old. Not sure if just a fluke or if it’s a common problem as there’s not many people with the 40 amp CMC to gather any sort of feedback or data. Although it’s essentially identical to the original gen 1 mobile connector just with a different plug head, and I’ve read the gen 1 mobile connector also had overheating issues. 🤔

Tesla support and service reps pretty much don’t even know this 40 amp CMC exists and all assumed I was talking about the UMC. Took a couple days of back and forth and giving them the part number for them to realize I wasn’t talking about the UMC.

Reactions: Yoonoo
PSA: Mine is going bad and started overheating at the plug and throttling back amperage, even if I initially reduce the max amperage to 32. Verified no issues with outlet or wiring and gen 2 UMC with 14-50 adapter at 32 amp works fine with no heat issues or throttling.

I bought it last July so less than a year old. Not sure if just a fluke or if it’s a common problem as there’s not many people with the 40 amp CMC to gather any sort of feedback or data. Although it’s essentially identical to the original gen 1 mobile connector just with a different plug head, and I’ve read the gen 1 mobile connector also had overheating issues. 🤔
Bought my corded mobile connector in July 2022 as well, I've been having the same problem with it overheating at the plug. Looks like it was a bad batch, unless it's a common issue with all the corded mobile connectors. After a few minutes it throttles the current to around 37A. Other chargers on the same NEMA 14-50 outlet don't run as hot and charge at the full 40A.

The corded mobile connector was a great option for those that didn't want a hard-wired installation while still getting decent charging times, too bad it looks like it has been discontinued.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73