Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA does not respect its customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see, in July my wife and I ordered a Tesla Y with blue paint and the total cost was $55,000. The dealership was in Dedham Massachusetts. They promised us delivery in a week telling us was in New Jersey and instead it was late. The weekend after July 4th they told us it's going to be late again, but suddenly they were able to rush it to Massachusetts. We took delivery on Saturday only to learn that if we took delivery of it the following Monday, 2 days later, we would have had the benefit of a $3,000 discount ( for vehicles delivered on that day or thereafter). I wrote Tesla a respectful letter of complaint and they ignored me. Worse, our new Tesla came with 450 miles on it and they did not even bother to clear the GPS so we could see that it was driven all over New Jersey by someone. ( I photographed the GPS). Now, Tesla wants to sell me a software upgrade for $2,000 so my car will go a half a second faster which means that it was always capable of going that fast and they are simply trying to dig into my pocket again. Obviously, my Model Y was always able to go that fast and they throttled it back with software so that they can hit me again later for an additional $2,000 to receive what I originally purchased. While I like the car, it is never a good idea to squeeze the goose that laid the golden eggs so hard that it dies. No other car manufacturer treats it buyers like that.

You did not originally pay for that extra half second. And you don’t have to pay for it now.

Other manufacturers would force you to buy a whole new car, how’s that for respect.

If you are not able to understand my issue, the problem is with you. Tesla is essentially selling me an unlock for a capability that my car, as purchased already possessed. And no I won't be buying it.

When you buy a car the deal you made when you drive it off the lot is the deal you made. I don’t know too many dealers out there who will refund money once a car drives off the lot.

It sucks but that is life. I hate paying MSRP for anything but if I wanted a Tesla and I wanted a new one there was not much room to negotiate. Honestly the good thing is I didn’t have to pay more then MSRP.

I was lucky and the price dropped before I picked it up. If they dropped the price I would be not happy but at the end of the day you have to be happy that you made the best deal the day you got it. I have brought Cars before only to see a $5k rebate offered shortly after and it hurt but not much I could do about it. That is the car business and they all do it.

The $2k for the acceleration boost can be frustrating to see it but not something I worry much about. I look at this way when I brought the car I was happy with the slower version and they delivered what I brought. Throttling back a motor is better then maxing out because i think it will be more reliable. I am perfectly happy with what I brought and didn’t ask for more speed.

You paying for Tesla to support the car with the extra 1/2 second of time and they will have to support you for the remainder of warranty and the life of the car. It’s more then just a quick software update because they had to do testing on it and added support for the upgrade.

You accepted delivery of a car with 450 miles? Did they give you a discount for the miles? If not, man, you’ll have to take some if not all of the blame yourself.

As for the acceleration boost, that’s the norm of any software company. Every company allows upgrades. Look at any app made in the past 10 years. Look at any car purchased in the past 30 years of electronic control and you will see an entire aftermarket built on upgrading the software for a price to get more power out of the same engine. Heck, even some OEMs will offer those software upgrades. Look at Ford Racing. If you bought a Mustang, would you be mad at Ford for not giving you the Ford performance software upgrade? You purchased it knowing the 0-60. You had the option of a performance but chose the LR. And you hopefully knew about the Model 3 acceleration boost option so hopefully could connect the dots.

Tesla has a ton of faults, many serious but we just don’t see the same thing here.

If you bought an ICE vehicle and the price dropped would you expect the dealership or manufacturer to refund the discount back to you as a price match? I think not. Even amazon doesn't price match for god sakes.

Many cars come with Sirius XM enabled, but you have to pay for that service...analogous to what tesla is doing for speed. Do you demand Sirius XM to be free in every new car you buy?

Seems more like you don't understand Tesla's business model and you're trying to assume they should operate like crap brands like GM or Ford.

If you are not able to understand my issue, the problem is with you. Tesla is essentially selling me an unlock for a capability that my car, as purchased already possessed. And no I won't be buying it.
That’s not how add-ons work.

Your car is also capable of FSD. Do you expect that to work without paying for it?

I agree Tesla’s customer service is deplorable but you’re way off base expecting them to provide add-ons for free.

You had me until you started complaining about not getting a software upgrade you didn’t pay for. Are you serious?

Very serious. They apparently drove it up instead of trucked it up from New Jersey just to avoid giving us that benefit. I'm fully aware of what a contract is. Lastly with regard to the mileage, my wife's car was destroyed in an accident we will already beyond the rental date from insurance and we weren't going to wait months for a new one.

That’s not how add-ons work.

Your car is also capable of FSD. Do you expect that to work without paying for it?

I agree Tesla’s customer service is deplorable but you’re way off base expecting them to provide add-ons for free.[/QUOTE
My point is it wasn't an add-on. The vehicle was perfectly capable of driving at the higher the day it was delivered. They clearly planned on locking that our capability from the get-go. The self-driving is an entirely different matter, as it remains in development and an extremely high cost and very high liability as well. The speed upgrade was already in the vehicle as sold. Throttling the vehicle to direct buyers to the performance model and then later pretending they have an upgrade for an additional cost is less than ethical. They might as well charge me an extra $2,000 for the fourth wheel

Brad, I get it. It's scummy, and the fact that other companies do similar things does not excuse Tesla. The fact of the matter is that it is standard practice even in cars. There are vehicles that have the hardware installed for additional capability, and is simply not activated unless the buyer pays for the activation.

Pay as you go is essentially going to be the future of owning a vehicle. BMW is playing around with the idea of including every option but only unlocking if you pay subscription for it.
I always wondered how all of these aftermarket and even OEM can offer simple piggyback tuning to ICE cars to get more performance out of it. Like why don’t they just include that in original car. I get the frustration but Tesla is a business after all and I respect that. Just don’t lose sleep over it. Or better yet buy some stock and see it grow lol

I can’t believe this is still a thing. I thought we had this conversation sorted back when Napster was around. If you want a product that someone else created you are going to have to exchange money for it. It’s not like you paid for the software upgrade then Tesla took it back. You never paid for it. If you want the product just open up your wallet and pay the $2k.

Your vehicle was capable of running the FSD software pack the day you took delivery. That is also a software lock. Your argument makes no sense.

Ludacris mode in the Model S used to be a $20K software unlock. It seems you’re simply not paying attention. You got exactly what you paid for and are griping about having to pay more for additional features.

I sincerely hope you’re not a contract lawyer.

OP needs to understand what a services business model is. Have you been living under a rock for the past 5 years?

Many cars are electronically limited to certain speeds. You don't see people complaining about that on a Porsche or a Merc, how is this any different? If your argument is that as a buyer you're not allowed to go tweak the system to get more speed out of a Tesla then that's a totally different argument and frankly if you did that Tesla should allow you to (but they currently don't)

ISP throttling speed is the oldest services model in the book. Your line is likely loaded for full capacity to get a gig speed or whatever you're capped at, but the ISP purposely throttles it. If you call that false equivalency then you need to go get your head checked. Is the line installed in you house any different for speeds at 25mbps up to 500+mbps? Likely not. Where you may see differences is when fiber optics need to be installed to get gig+ speeds.

Go return your tesla and go back to an ICE boomer

• Funny
Reactions: MYP2020