Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My design is better than both versions. Over 1k of mine sold and zero failures...

I spent the money on the EVTuning full S door handle rebuild kit. The high quality machined gear is very sturdy and I plan on it outlasting the car.

Here’s a comparison picture:

96542CAE-A4A4-4EA7-90C0-C6B7AFD8E187.jpeg

Also, replacing the wires was a preventative measure. The EVTuning wires are epoxy reinforced where the wires attach to the switches, more flexible wire and includes the C-clip discussed previously, as well as the door mounting clips for a squeak free, lasting install. Moisture barrier friction washers are a nice touch and work perfectly.

AB3BDB25-FEE3-4079-9168-0B71A86FE94B.jpeg

I like to maintain my own vehicles and am very thankful for an upgrade option for my S retractable door handles. This can be done with minimal tools and a little patience. Please ask if anyone has a question. I have a lot more pictures, send me a private message for specific help.

D7204AF7-CC80-4DB2-B19A-356173B08982.jpeg

Attachments

• 95A16BFA-4B27-4599-A605-1631710A4852.jpeg
    95A16BFA-4B27-4599-A605-1631710A4852.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 9B684427-CB88-43C5-B5B3-E727A213C937.jpeg
    9B684427-CB88-43C5-B5B3-E727A213C937.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 45
  • 9275BEF2-BB8E-45C6-ABEA-7FA66CAF3451.jpeg
    9275BEF2-BB8E-45C6-ABEA-7FA66CAF3451.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 47
  • 53AFB8D1-CCF1-4443-ABA5-9195311D0985.jpeg
    53AFB8D1-CCF1-4443-ABA5-9195311D0985.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 52
I spent the money on the EVTuning full S door handle rebuild kit. The high quality machined gear is very sturdy and I plan on it outlasting the car.

Here’s a comparison picture:

View attachment 361850

Also, replacing the wires was a preventative measure. The EVTuning wires are epoxy reinforced where the wires attach to the switches, more flexible wire and includes the C-clip discussed previously, as well as the door mounting clips for a squeak free, lasting install. Moisture barrier friction washers are a nice touch and work perfectly.

View attachment 361851

I like to maintain my own vehicles and am very thankful for an upgrade option for my S retractable door handles. This can be done with minimal tools and a little patience. Please ask if anyone has a question. I have a lot more pictures, send me a private message for specific help.

View attachment 361841
Thanks for the great review. For anyone wondering what the push nuts are for you press them over the plastic studs once you reinstall the vapor barrier. This ensures that it will not peel back or wilt in the hot sun in the summer time and then get stuck to the window and leave butyl on the window or cause the window regulator to break. It also does a decent job of keeping water out of the handle.

I just had theTESLA mobile tech correct the misaligned door handle, after TESLA replaced the paddle gear i my 2014 S in the service center. The tech told me that the generation 3 replacement has all the electroics for the door in a different location, lower in the door frame and solves=more reliable, than the preceeding door handle multiple part assemblies. AT any rate, I amscheduled for a service center appointment to get the gen 3 change out.

Thank you very much

FURY

My understanding is that Tesla just rebuilds the handles now, they don't just replace them. In fact somebody recently said that Tesla sent a ranger out to replace the gear in their out-of-warranty Tesla at no charge.

so does Tesla still send rangers out to replace the gear in their out-of-warranty Tesla at no charge? if not Does CPO warranty cover this?

I got this email from

EV Tuning
Hello Nick,
We've run into an issue with customs and the holiday season. Our package of gears has been stuck in JFK for the past week and they haven't been responding to when it will be released. We hope to have them by the end of the week.

so does Tesla still send rangers out to replace the gear in their out-of-warranty Tesla at no charge? if not Does CPO warranty cover this?

I’ve replaced 3 myself now out of warranty. Service center isn’t interested in addressing this or helping. It’s painful just to get the gear from them @ < $2.

Upside - I can replace them in less than an hour o_O

I got this email from

EV Tuning
Hello Nick,
We've run into an issue with customs and the holiday season. Our package of gears has been stuck in JFK for the past week and they haven't been responding to when it will be released. We hope to have them by the end of the week.

Yes I am working on getting through the backlog of orders. Send me your order # and I"ll see where you are in the queue right now. I have some gears now but not enough for all the backlog I have another 40 coming next Tuesday.