Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He’s no fan of immortality (at least publicly).

Hard to believe that; When you have that kind of wealth, you want to keep enjoying it; Bill Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Soros and many like them, would love to extend their lives, and willing to pay any price.

That article is total BS. 72% residual on 5 year Model S? 🤣 Just check the used car listings. No way. More like 30% residual.
30% residual now. The article points out that historically Tesla was not an outlier when it comes to depreciation. And the new MS and MX that are now being sold at the lower prices won't be outliers either. Basically, Tesla decided to cut the margins on MS and MX to increase sales and it worked. Are you saying that a new 2023 MS will depreciate at 2x the rate of a new 2023 Porsche?

30% residual now. The article points out that historically Tesla was not an outlier when it comes to depreciation. And the new MS and MX that are now being sold at the lower prices won't be outliers either. Basically, Tesla decided to cut the margins on MS and MX to increase sales and it worked. Are you saying that a new 2023 MS will depreciate at 2x the rate of a new 2023 Porsche?
Going from extremely high prices to now, would of course show huge depreciation.

Current MS/MX will hold up better. I don’t see the MS going down to 40k new. High prices when I bought mine in 2016 are due to early adopter. Later, high prices due to Covid. These prices will now be the norm, IMO. (Until the next big upgrade.)

Last edited:
I need tesla to hurry up with my MYP buy back. Bought this thing back in Nov 2022!!!! getting a check and (if) another price drop, i'd feel like hit the lottery lol.
How much is Tesla reimbursing/paying for the legal expenses on your buyback?

Ours is still in limbo (this disaster has been going on since FEBRUARY!?!) and Tesla is holding fast on a $2,500 cap on legal fees, which is exasperating as they would have been ZERO had they bothered with a working corporate agent (which they didn't/don't).

Thanks for the info.

I’ve never seen a major car company drop car prices by $20K from one month to the next🤔 Toyota, Kia, BMW, Porsche ever done that?
Musk is a very smart man but the Bottom line will always be geed, endless desire to attain as much money as possible, that leads to power and try to figure out immortality. 🤦🏻🤣😂🤷🏻‍♂️
None of the other automakers are under the microscope to deliver as many units as possible.
The model s was over priced at 100k for a long range. It’s not a 100k car, the price was adjusted with the market.

And yes I have seen dealers tack on 15-20 grand on top of MSRP anytime a hot in demand vehicle comes to market. Corvette refresh, the ford f150 raptor, the ram trx, in my area were going for way over MSRP when dealers were able to get any stock.

You can take as many shots at musk as you want, but there’s no denying that this price drop is a good thing overall.

Why don't you want an end of year car? And what's the difference from a late 23 vin or new 24 vin? They don't change anything about the car so it's just resale value? If someone was leasing then it wouldn't make a difference right?

1) Historically, quality has suffered at EoQ and especially at EoY as they try to make delivery goals. Also the delivery experience is at its worst at those times. If you have a problem, getting service to address them is even more problematic than usual.

2) Just resale, maybe. But if I had to only wait a few weeks to get a 24 VIN, I probably would. I never lease or finance, so not knowledgeable about those situations.

It's really not. 3 or 4 years later the resale value difference between a "2023" Model S produced in October and a "2024" Model S produced in November is negligible. People just really want this to be true. Mileage matters way more than model year, all other things equal.
Facts. I personally would always choose the lower mileage model even if it’s older
Miles = wear and tear