Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be all over that. Im so close to pulling the trigger on a MSP but I trying to see if they take it down again lol

I think timing this is going to be very hard. Of course, I have no idea, but inventory is way down again and order times are back up. I don't see any reason why they would offer more discounts in the very near future.

I think timing this is going to be very hard. Of course, I have no idea, but inventory is way down again and order times are back up. I don't see any reason why they would offer more discounts in the very near future.
Agreed. Tesla are data people and a further price reduction is unwarranted at this time. The September 1 price reduction did indeed create significant demand, but the ongoing sustained level of demand at the current price is not known.

My humble prediction: 60% they will raise price slightly, either at the base model level or by charging for paint again. They are going to have a huge Q4 anyway with new products Highland globally and Cybertruck. If they need to stoke S/X demand again at the end of the year, they will lower to something around this Sept 1 price level again. 40% they will hold at the current price.

Is the correct strategy to order now and to reserve the current price and if it drops, you get the lowest price and try to delay your delivery as much as possible?
This isn’t really a thing any more. Tesla got wise to this game. Under the current order agreement you’ve got ~2 weeks max to take delivery or they can cancel your order and keep your $250.

My humble prediction: 60% they will raise price slightly
Haven't they already done that ? During week 1 of the price cut they offered a $1000 loyalty discount on top of the price cut - and I got that. Now it's apparently just $500.

A few anecdotal points:
* I ordered the day after the price cut (9/2). I got the car within a week (9/9). I was the only MS delivery in the Sunnyvale delivery center. Rather surprising for central bay area. There were lots of M3s/MYs being picked up. My car was a 9/2023 build too.
* More recent orders are seeing longer lead times, suggesting they've filled a reasonable order pipeline.
* The loyalty discount appears to have been cut on 9/8 .

The way I see it, for those who ordered right after the price cut, Tesla was able to quickly build and deliver the car, but within days, had enough order volume for a greater delivery lag to start showing up.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Haven't they already done that ? During week 1 of the price cut they offered a $1000 loyalty discount on top of the price cut - and I got that. Now it's apparently just $500.
Yes of course, they changed the loyalty program by $500. To me, the likely thought process is that they had more participation in the loyalty program than they were expecting/budgeting for, and they're tuning the loyalty pricing. No, I don't think $500 materially shapes demand for Tesla on Model S.

Agreed. Tesla are data people and a further price reduction is unwarranted at this time. The September 1 price reduction did indeed create significant demand, but the ongoing sustained level of demand at the current price is not known.

My humble prediction: 60% they will raise price slightly, either at the base model level or by charging for paint again. They are going to have a huge Q4 anyway with new products Highland globally and Cybertruck. If they need to stoke S/X demand again at the end of the year, they will lower to something around this Sept 1 price level again. 40% they will hold at the current price.
IMG_7951.jpeg

I've been holding off for 6 months now waiting for a slight price drop and maybe a special financing right.
I didn't imagine it would drop this much and the free colors. I'm half way into putting a deposit down now.
If a special rate magically drops, then I'm all in.
Crossing my fingers.
Lucky you, for waiting 👍🏻👏🏻 Now is the perfect time.. congratulations for being wise & patient.

No one is saying these cars are an investment...if they are they are presenting a poor argument just like you. They are saying people who bought 110k car, plus typical depreciation, plus the 40+% price drop means their car is worth about 1/3 of what it should be comparable to other new cars.
Do you think that a new $110+ Porsche will lose its resale value as much as a Tesla? Just wondering 🤔

Real sad that Musk doesn’t care at all how we loyal Tesla owners feel.. He’s all about $ and nothing else… 🤷🏻‍♂️
Dropping prices, pissing off current owners, how exactly are those two things “all about $ and nothing else”?

The price of the car fluctuates with the market. If demand is hot, Tesla takes advantage, when demand is low they can’t afford to keep building cars and piling them up in storage lots. They need to adjust with the market to continue selling vehicles.

Reactions: SO16
Dropping prices, pissing off current owners, how exactly are those two things “all about $ and nothing else”?

The price of the car fluctuates with the market. If demand is hot, Tesla takes advantage, when demand is low they can’t afford to keep building cars and piling them up in storage lots. They need to adjust with the market to continue selling vehicles.
I’ve never seen a major car company drop car prices by $20K from one month to the next🤔 Toyota, Kia, BMW, Porsche ever done that?
Musk is a very smart man but the Bottom line will always be geed, endless desire to attain as much money as possible, that leads to power and try to figure out immortality. 🤦🏻🤣😂🤷🏻‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd