Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA employees admit churning out flawed parts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be just some disgruntled employees or true. Either way Tesla is no longer the little start-up and has to rise to the challenge. I personally think they are doing their best and working hard at solving issues related to high volume manufacturing. And NO WAY do they put out 2500 per week by the end of this month though

The latest press release from the UAW, courtesy of their friends at CNBC. The bad news will stop when the factory unionizes.
Ehhh from my experience their quality control was lacking on my 2016 Q4 Model S. If they had done it right the first time it would have saved quite a bit on post-delivery quality fixes.

What a confusing article. Rework and refurbishment are not the same thing.

On subcontracted parts:
Vendor internal inspection does 'in-process' inspection steps and when parts are complete, validates final.
Units that fail inspection at any of these steps go to the Material Review Board, which is manufacturing engineers and QC engineers.
Some dimensions are actually unimportant, but it's not up to inspectors to determine this, it's up to engineers, hence the need for MRB.
Many parts are used 'as is', but ones with important deviations are set aside in a locked room.
It is determined what the root cause is, to correct the process so deviations stop. This is Corrective Action.
They check to see if the CA does what is intended, which is Corrective Action Review.
Many times the initial CA will make a work order to alter the parts already made so they be used, but this is in addition to the process changes to avoid future defects.
The work order to alter parts so they may be used is called rework. The parts were never in a car.
Compliant parts are now shipped to Tesla.
Tesla does receiving inspection, MRB if necessary, and could send parts back to the vendor for rework.

Parts produced internally go through much the same processes, except they must control the organizational tree so that there is no pressure to use defective parts or bypass receiving, inprocess, final, or MRB.

Parts found to be defective at assembly time are very tricky. It's not always obvious what is to blame. It could be a prior assembly, bad tooling, training, process, or the part itself. These are also submitted to MRB.

Refurbishment is what you do with parts that have been USED in a car, were found defective after delivery usually via warranty. After refurbishment and inspection, these parts are used for warranty repairs, or sold as spares.

If Tesla is using refurbished parts in new cars I'd be surprised. I suppose they could, but folk might not want a power steering pump with 100,000 miles on it in their new car, even if it has been refurbished. Everybody uses 'reworked' parts in new planes, trains, and automobiles. These are not used parts. They are parts that required additional work and are every bit as good as a new part if not better.

Last edited:
I note Drudge has the article prominently featured in the top left of his site so it's going to get a ton of hits. It always amazes me why the right cheers on and wishes for the downfall of Tesla with people like Mitt Romney calling Tesla a "loser". That's why Drudge has it featured and why none of Tesla's good news is ever featured on Drudge. The party of law, order, anti-Russia corruption and "made in America" sure has lost its ways, which is sad, at least in my view.

I cannot just write off this as UAW or disgruntled workers.

Both my MS and Model 3 have QA/QC problems. Model 3 has sunken hood which is out of Tesla's parameter. They sent it out to local Tesla certified body shop but it made no improvement. Many interior seat finishes not really acceptable for this price range.

I have MX currently under production (hoping for upgraded MCU chip). Based on my experience with MS and Model 3, I am not expecting excellent fit and finish in MX.

Lack of true competition prevents cross-shopping currently.

Reactions: Chopr147

Both my MS and Model 3 have QA/QC problems. Model 3 has sunken hood which is out of Tesla's parameter. They sent it out to local Tesla certified body shop but it made no improvement. Many interior seat finishes not really acceptable for this price range.

I have MX currently under production (hoping for upgraded MCU chip). Based on my experience with MS and Model 3, I am not expecting excellent fit and finish in MX.

My early 2014 S has been solid as a rock.

Both of our opinions are of very little value on this issue.

My model S was delivered with a clearly cracked B Pillar so I believe it. You just need to glance at it and you can see that there is a bunch of green in the middle of a black on black pillar. Also the fact that Tesla was shipping cars with charge parts too small to be charged proves that one one bothers even doing basic tests at the factory

So far my car issues are faulty door handle, faulty driver mirror, cracked bpillar, vibrating speaker on the passenger side, squeaks and pops coming out of the headliner, dash and passenger door, uneven panel gaps and finally yellow discoloring around the boarders on the MCU

I can see how most of the things in my list got past visual inspections(cause Tesla obviously doesnt do vigorous inspections) BUT MY BPILLAR WAS VERY BROKEN AND VERY CRACKED and that somehow how was not noticed by anyone who handled the car

The thing is even if only 20 to 30% of Tesla's have defects and the majority of people don't have problems that's probably still double the defects as the next worse car manufacturer and we need to call them out on this so they fix it in the future

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xborg

This is actually what worries me most about Tesla's future. They have been building Model S's for almost six years now, yet they still can't get the quality consistant. Some cars leave the factory in immaculate condition, but many others still have all kinds of issues, from body panel alignments to all kinds of other fit and finish problems etc.

Model 3 is a new vehicle and early models can be expected to have some issues. But the Model S by now should be near 100% perfect, yet it clearly isn't.

Lack of true competition is getting more and more a thing of the past. Ever more competitors to the various Tesla models are either just coming to market (Jaguar I-Pace), already on the market (VW e-Golf, Hyundai Ioniq, Chevi Bolt/Opel Ampera-e) or coming in the near future, i.e. within one year max (Hyundai Kona, Porsche Mission E, Audi e-tron SUV, Mercedes EQC, Volvo XC40 etc.). Plus many more announced Models for 2020+. And all these competitors know how to mass-produce cars at excellent quality levels.

If Tesla doesn't get its act together quickly, they will go down in flames or in the best case simply get bought by a competitor, possibly and not unlikely by a Chinese one.

Reactions: JayyyDeee