Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy, TRECs, NJ ... need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone from NJ needs help with TRECs DM me. I solved all issues and I will be getting my first TREC payment next week. Process is darn complicated but solvable and once done, you have to enter previous months production data (like I put for March 2021 today) and once balance cumulative is 1000+ kWh they they issue a cert, which is auto-paid to my bank account.
Going through the process now and seem to be hitting some roadblocks. Would you be able to assist or answer a few questions?

I ordered July/August 2020, and install was completed Jan 2021.

I insisted I won't order if I can't keep TRECs.
I had ordered in Oct 2020 and installation completed in March 2021. They did not pressure to sell to them. It was just a Yes No question and I said No, and they updated the agreement and sent for signature. It was a simple process.
Although, I am still stuck on how to complete the process and register for TRECs as I do not get any assistance from the Tesla Customer Support.

If anyone from NJ needs help with TRECs DM me. I solved all issues and I will be getting my first TREC payment next week. Process is darn complicated but solvable and once done, you have to enter previous months production data (like I put for March 2021 today) and once balance cumulative is 1000+ kWh they they issue a cert, which is auto-paid to my bank account.
@smaster553 - I had PTO in April 2020. I started a application on SRECTRADE.com, now it is in Tesla's court to finish the application. It has been in the same in progress status, it has been 3 months now and still at a stand still. I called Tesla several time and have been getting the run around, we are backed up... Any guidance you can provide appreciated.

I had ordered in Oct 2020 and installation completed in March 2021. They did not pressure to sell to them. It was just a Yes No question and I said No, and they updated the agreement and sent for signature. It was a simple process.
Although, I am still stuck on how to complete the process and register for TRECs as I do not get any assistance from the Tesla Customer Support.
Were you able to get you system registered for trecs? I am stuck in the same situation, my phone was in April 2021.

It has been frustrating.
Tesla is supposed to submit the final documents and only then I will get the TREC Certificate.
Have been following up for 9 months and they still have not completed this step.
I am not sure what the next step is.

I'm stuck in this 'donut hole' as well. My plans were originally (from 2020) to keep the TRECS and they were using the SolarEdge inverter. There were delays bringing the installation into 2021 which they changed to their Tesla inverter. Little did I know this catastrophic problem. I've been told for over 6 months that the firmware upgrade is almost ready. They even sent out some idiot electrician to hook up the Neurio meter which he was clueless about what it was for. He put it on the 2 phases in my main circuit breaker. He assured me that it was done right. Now my solar production is shown as 'House Usage' in the Tesla app which now makes it impossible to see how much I net back to the electric company. Ughhh, I feel your pain. Almost ready to submit a complaint.

I'm stuck in this 'donut hole' as well. My plans were originally (from 2020) to keep the TRECS and they were using the SolarEdge inverter. There were delays bringing the installation into 2021 which they changed to their Tesla inverter. Little did I know this catastrophic problem. I've been told for over 6 months that the firmware upgrade is almost ready. They even sent out some idiot electrician to hook up the Neurio meter which he was clueless about what it was for. He put it on the 2 phases in my main circuit breaker. He assured me that it was done right. Now my solar production is shown as 'House Usage' in the Tesla app which now makes it impossible to see how much I net back to the electric company. Ughhh, I feel your pain. Almost ready to submit a complaint.

Have you made any progress? I been begging to just install the Neurio and they won't.

After complaining about change in production and usage in the app they sent a technician out today. He fixed the issue and now production and usage it correct. He couldn't tell me anything about the firmware update. Still waiting for a response from my project manager. Requests for an update have been silent.

From January 13th
"I reached out to our Technical Support team to confirm the firmware was pushed out to the Tesla inverters. This is the piece that I have not been able to confirm.
The Nuerio meter should work once the firmware has been uploaded. I am awaiting their response. I know this is frustrating and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Your project is a priority for me. I will provide you with an update once the Technical Team responds back to me."

Here's the latest from my Tesla rep

'The firmware has been completed, however, there is an additional step I was not advised of until this week. Tesla has to create a database for the inverter reporting. Our Software team is diligently working on this now. I do not have an ETA as to when this will be completed.'

Getting closer. Once the meter reporting is functional I assume they have to send in the 'As Completed' application and get it approved.

Yeah, I got nothing back from Tesla. How are you communicating to your rep?
I called Tesla customer service and a helpful rep gave me his email for follow up. After things weren't progressing I asked to speak to someone about selling my TRECS. He put me in touch with one of their 'incentives' reps. Basically the same as when you threaten to cancel cable and they pass you to their 'retention' dept. This rep then took control of project as best she could. I email her regularly on status.

Reactions: socbrian
To keep this alive, I just received my State Certification number this morning. My project was installed in mid-March 2021, inspection approval 5/9/22, received PTO 7/9/22 from JCP&L. Effectively, it's taken 1 year of frustration to get my TREC certificate because of incorrect paperwork being submitted multiple times, claims of the NJ solar team being understaffed, and being selected for a NJ Clean Energy inspection. I've registered at GATS and am waiting for asset approval. If anyone needs a contact at Tesla's local NJ team, please PM me - it took 6 months to find someone who would give up a state focused employee's email address so I could push this along.

Also, for those that are approved and getting checks - what do you use to submit your generation info? Numbers from the Tesla app? Something from a utility bill or meter? It would be helpful to prepare in advance of submitting a year's worth of data...