Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy, TRECs, NJ ... need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To keep this alive, I just received my State Certification number this morning. My project was installed in mid-March 2021, inspection approval 5/9/22, received PTO 7/9/22 from JCP&L. Effectively, it's taken 1 year of frustration to get my TREC certificate because of incorrect paperwork being submitted multiple times, claims of the NJ solar team being understaffed, and being selected for a NJ Clean Energy inspection. I've registered at GATS and am waiting for asset approval. If anyone needs a contact at Tesla's local NJ team, please PM me - it took 6 months to find someone who would give up a state focused employee's email address so I could push this along.

Also, for those that are approved and getting checks - what do you use to submit your generation info? Numbers from the Tesla app? Something from a utility bill or meter? It would be helpful to prepare in advance of submitting a year's worth of data...
You have a Tesla inverter? I was told they are still waiting for software to integrate the Neruo meter

If anyone from NJ needs help with TRECs DM me. I solved all issues and I will be getting my first TREC payment next week. Process is darn complicated but solvable and once done, you have to enter previous months production data (like I put for March 2021 today) and once balance cumulative is 1000+ kWh they they issue a cert, which is auto-paid to my bank account.
Hi Smaster553, can you please help me.I am looking to do this.

I called Tesla customer service and a helpful rep gave me his email for follow up. After things weren't progressing I asked to speak to someone about selling my TRECS. He put me in touch with one of their 'incentives' reps. Basically the same as when you threaten to cancel cable and they pass you to their 'retention' dept. This rep then took control of project as best she could. I email her regularly on status.
My contact went dark after she told me they are submitting the revised 'Final As Built' corrections. For three months she didn't respond nor could I get anyone to tell me what was going on. Called Tesla and the rep told me they are submitting. Complete BS, today I received the bad news that my application has now expired and I am no longer eligible for the TREC program. I called Tesla again and am running this debacle up the flagpole as far as I can. I also called NJ Clean Energy (administers the TREC program) and they confirmed this but told me I can apply for the new program ADI (Administratively Determined Incentive). The idea is the same but the payout is only $90/MW vs $91.20 for TREC. At least there is hope to get my money eventually. Very frustrating.

My contact went dark after she told me they are submitting the revised 'Final As Built' corrections. For three months she didn't respond nor could I get anyone to tell me what was going on. Called Tesla and the rep told me they are submitting. Complete BS, today I received the bad news that my application has now expired and I am no longer eligible for the TREC program. I called Tesla again and am running this debacle up the flagpole as far as I can. I also called NJ Clean Energy (administers the TREC program) and they confirmed this but told me I can apply for the new program ADI (Administratively Determined Incentive). The idea is the same but the payout is only $90/MW vs $91.20 for TREC. At least there is hope to get my money eventually. Very frustrating.
ugh.. that stinks. This process has been the worst. A rep told me they submitted mine a few days before it expired. I have zero confirmation they did, I guess I should call NJ and ask what the status is.

How did you find out your application expired? Did you get an email or a letter?

If you go the direct line approach - you'll get 1 in 5 people who can give you a proper update on your status. If you contact NJ Clean Energy, they'll only tell you what your project status is and direct you back to your installer (Tesla). I suggest you email the NJ incentives team if you can obtain their email address so they can tell you exactly what they're doing (submitting final-as built, making corrects, etc). My process took way more than 6 months to get sorted.

Do you have a TI application number and conditional acceptance at this point? One you have that, they only require (to my knowledge) that you project is installed and commencing operation before the expiration date - mine was 1yr from the conditional acceptance issuance.

ugh.. that stinks. This process has been the worst. A rep told me they submitted mine a few days before it expired. I have zero confirmation they did, I guess I should call NJ and ask what the status is.

How did you find out your application expired? Did you get an email or a letter?
I received an email on the day it expired 6/15/22. I called again yesterday and after 2 hours on the phone with the customer service rep I learned they need to come out to 'do something with the meter'. The customer service reps know nothing about the technology and are just the customer facing portion of the business. They have to go get info then translate it back to you. After getting the appointment for July 5th, my app says 'Firmware update'. I suspect they can't do a firmware update remotely to the Neurio meter and it is required for it to work with their 'new code'. We'll see who they send and if they have a clue of what to do.

I would call either Tesla and have them give you the issued application number or call NJ Clean Energy to see if they see it on their end.

To keep this alive, I just received my State Certification number this morning. My project was installed in mid-March 2021, inspection approval 5/9/22, received PTO 7/9/22 from JCP&L. Effectively, it's taken 1 year of frustration to get my TREC certificate because of incorrect paperwork being submitted multiple times, claims of the NJ solar team being understaffed, and being selected for a NJ Clean Energy inspection. I've registered at GATS and am waiting for asset approval. If anyone needs a contact at Tesla's local NJ team, please PM me - it took 6 months to find someone who would give up a state focused employee's email address so I could push this along.

Also, for those that are approved and getting checks - what do you use to submit your generation info? Numbers from the Tesla app? Something from a utility bill or meter? It would be helpful to prepare in advance of submitting a year's worth of data...
Hi! Would you please DM me the contacts? I have placed my order with Tesla in November 2021, the permits were done in January 2022 and I have not heard from them until now, July 2022. Wondering whether they are having supply chain issues.

I am just about to start this exact process. I'm still new new on this board but I'd love to get you the contact info for the NJ local team please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.