Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Extrapolating. If TESLA were to raise the price of the Tri-motor CYBRTRK, this would be an incentive to not raise it beyond $74,000

There are also new MSRP restrictions, so any EV above the following MSRP's is ineligible for a credit:
  • $74,000 for a pickup

• Funny
Reactions: whisperingshad
So for Tesla it would be worth $8,000 and the price of a LR Y has gone up $4,000 this year and could very well go up more based on the continuing demand. That means at most the EV credit is worth $4k after waiting a year and maybe less than that.

The credit also would already not apply to the Performance 3 because of the MSRP?

It’s pretty clear this bill is still to help the legacy guys that are having a really hard time matching the cost Tesla has been able to achieve. While I want Tesla to sell a gazillion cars, I do kinda feel like at this point in time they don’t really need the credit any more. Maybe have it apply to a SR+ and LR Model 3 for lower income people but that’s about it, and only because of the poor charging situation with the other guys. If they truly have access to superchargers soon, then a Kona EV or Bolt or base ID4 is basically as *good* as a Model 3. (Obviously the 3 is better in every way, but I mean they’ll get you where you need to go, the range is acceptable, and the charging would be solid thanks to superchargers). If someone can afford to look at buying a Tesla, they don’t really *need* the credits fo make it happen.

Spend those credits on people going for a base ID4 or Kona EV style stuff.

Probably would also have been smart to work in that every 24 months after a model has been introduced it needs to be 10% cheaper while maintaining the same battery size to continue to qualify for the credit.

This is to make EVs affordable for more mainstream level people AND fo help get over the curve of manufacturers having to price stuff high because of initial R&D and retooling.

There’s no reason why the ID4 couldn’t drop $4k in price in the next two years and that would allow it to reach even more people…

Some clarity in chart form via Twitter:
BB5C8745-78FF-4A21-892D-AC58EEF09C72.jpeg

Reactions: skydve1 and wandl
There’s no reason why the ID4 couldn’t drop $4k in price in the next two years and that would allow it to reach even more people…
I see no reason in anyone's lifetime to give tax credits to an intentionally deceptive company that has worked to pad their pockets and destroy the environment.

The EPA found that Volkswagen had intentionally programmed turbocharged direct injection (TDI) to activate their emissions controls only during laboratory emissions testing, which caused the vehicles' output to meet US standards during regulatory testing, while they emitted up to 40 times more NO
x in real-world driving.
(Emissionsgate)

Similarly with Hyundai and Kia (Mileagegate), when they revealed that approximately 900,000 vehicles or 35 percent of its model-year vehicles were initially labeled with fuel economy ratings that were overstated. I sold my Prius, which repeatedly attained 48 mpg, for the style of the Hyundai Elantra, which never exceeded 28 mpg. Never another. IMHO, that is how I vote. Told my son, but he wouldn't listen. One Hyundai Accent was towed 19 times in the first year. Another had wiring harness issues that were never resolved (the wipers would go on when the car was off and the light would flash). Both vehicles were discharged through state Lemon Laws (a serious hassle). And two weeks ago, he accepted a new Hyundai Sonata rental with 124 miles on the odometer to drive to the shore. When he was ready to return home at 2 pm, the vehicle started, but would not go into gear. Hertz finally showed up at 830 pm with a Mini-Cooper in which he had to pack his two children, child seats, two adults, and numerous beach items for his five-hour drive home. I think he finally has become a believer. Never Hyundai.

These deceptive and malicious companies need to face consequences for their actions. I know VW paid a fine (big deal), but they need to face consequences with consumers. Hyundai negotiated a program with the EPA, in which the owner of the vehicle had to come to the dealership once a month for their $4.38 mileage rebate check, while getting badgered by salesmen or the service department to buy product. How many took advantage of that torture? And what about the loss in resale value?

If the corporate culture of an automobile brand is brazen enough to cheat the environment and their customers on one occasion, you can expect they will do it again. Next, they will be deceptive about range. What other mechanics of the vehicle have been lied about?

The best consequence is for consumers to never enable these corporations by buying another one of their vehicles or products.

It is certainly not to give them tax credit incentives and reward their misbehavior.

I apologize for the length, but I get heated when it comes to reinforcing bad behavior.

Reactions: cusetownusa
This bill has an ugly trap for Tesla. (GM's Bolt is not being produced now due to battery issues.) When the bill is passed or becomes certain of passage, orders for Tesla Model 3s and Model Ys due for delivery before Jan 1 will cost $8,000 more if delivered in 2021. If that awareness takes place as early as October the chaos could affect more than 100.000 deliveries. It appears that it is a intentional attempt to screw Tesla in addition to the ridiculous union $4,500.

Where is the talked about exclusion of Chinese made vehicles from the credit. It won't hurt Tesla as much as US OEMs to face Chinese competition.

This bill has an ugly trap for Tesla. (GM's Bolt is not being produced now due to battery issues.) When the bill is passed or becomes certain of passage, orders for Tesla Model 3s and Model Ys due for delivery before Jan 1 will cost $8,000 more if delivered in 2021. If that awareness takes place as early as October the chaos could affect more than 100.000 deliveries. It appears that it is a intentional attempt to screw Tesla in addition to the ridiculous union $4,500.

Where is the talked about exclusion of Chinese made vehicles from the credit. It won't hurt Tesla as much as US OEMs to face Chinese competition.
This is a pretty shitty thing to do to an American company. $8000 will likely result in a lot of deferred deliveries next quarter. Cars that are made in American factories. If the goal is to help with EV adoption why punish the American company that has already done so much towards it? The credit should be retroactive to at least the date it is signed.

Reactions: cusetownusa
My understanding is that $40k limit and union labor plant EV's is mainly designed to advantage the big 3 at the expense of Tesla workers and Tesla consumers. Crony capitalism at its best. The funny thing is that the house control is mainly due to higher income blue states such as CA, WA, NY etc., and voters from these states will be disadvantaged over some one buy Bolt or other EV's made in Red states or purple state Michigan. The cost of the car should not be a criteria nor should the union requirement be criterion.

Reactions: rjack1282
Just to clarify, when they say that the effective date is January 1st, that means sales after 1/1, not taxes filed after that date, right? Meaning you wouldn't get the refund until you file taxes in 2023.
But it looks like there is a provision for dealers to use that deduction to offset your sale price during sale. You still claim the deduction on your taxes but you are prepaid that deduction during sale. Not sure if Tesla will do it (and of course none of this is remotely close to being law yet).

Reactions: Viv1984
But it looks like there is a provision for dealers to use that deduction to offset your sale price during sale. You still claim the deduction on your taxes but you are prepaid that deduction during sale. Not sure if Tesla will do it (and of course none of this is remotely close to being law yet).

Oh ok, I don't think the chance at a benefit is worth the wait. The credit would be nice, but not necessary and I'm scheduled for delivery by the end of the month.