Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Respectfully, I don't believe legislation will be based on model year (never done that way, too complicated, especially with Teslas, etc.); it will be based on purchase date or year.

Agreed. Assuming something passes, it will almost certainly be set to apply to cars delivered Jan 1, 2022 and after. Nothing about car model year (which would be all over the place depending on manufacturer) and nothing retroactive (expensive and complicated to implement.

Reactions: k.alexander
$65K cap for SUV's so Performance Y would qualify for the credit

Interesting... 😏

Def waiting until they officially announce what the credit will be and when it will become active. Might trade up the SR+ 😱

All, Happy Sunday! My current EDD is 11/10-11/30 so I think I should receive my car somewhere around 11/30, I intend to go thru the transaction and buy the car as soon as it becomes available. If and when the Tax credit bill passes I believe it will be for extended period of time, say 5-10 years. In case there if substantial credit I am thinking I can sell my car back to Tesla (may be in 3-5 years) and buy another one with tax credit. I just hope that I get trade in value based on the original car value, miles driven and years used (without considering the tax credit depreciation). What do you guys think? Will my resale value get substantially reduced based on tax credit on new cars?

All, Happy Sunday! My current EDD is 11/10-11/30 so I think I should receive my car somewhere around 11/30, I intend to go thru the transaction and buy the car as soon as it becomes available. If and when the Tax credit bill passes I believe it will be for extended period of time, say 5-10 years. In case there if substantial credit I am thinking I can sell my car back to Tesla (may be in 3-5 years) and buy another one with tax credit. I just hope that I get trade in value based on the original car value, miles driven and years used (without considering the tax credit depreciation). What do you guys think? Will my resale value get substantially reduced based on tax credit on new cars?
This is an interesting question. We are so deep in the unknown right now that everything is anyone's guess.

I think that once the bill passes (and has a start date of January 1, '22) there's a possibility that many, many people will pause their orders. So many that Tesla may have to reduce their prices to move them. December could be a very interesting month.

Also, once/if the bill passes it will probably dramatically reduce how much people are able to sell/trade their cars for.

There's also competition. The next few years of competitive vehicles released will be a lot for Tesla to deal with.

I wanted to order a MY-LR for my 50th birthday in January. That's probably not going to happen. Again, unless people start refusing their cars to get the $7k-10k tax incentive.

Noone is sure what the incentives will be until the bill is passed. Some people think green energy proposals will be some of the first things cut to make the bill more favorable to pass.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X and MyFirstEVT
Agreed. Assuming something passes, it will almost certainly be set to apply to cars delivered Jan 1, 2022 and after. Nothing about car model year (which would be all over the place depending on manufacturer) and nothing retroactive (expensive and complicated to implement.
It is not complicated to implement something like rebate based on purchase date and set start date around the time bill passes. They just need to ask for purchase date in the tax forms. Something like that is fair for car companies like Tesla that have already crossed the previous 200k limit since it won’t mess up their last quarter sales.

This is an interesting question. We are so deep in the unknown right now that everything is anyone's guess.

I think that once the bill passes (and has a start date of January 1, '22) there's a possibility that many, many people will pause their orders. So many that Tesla may have to reduce their prices to move them. December could be a very interesting month.

Also, once/if the bill passes it will probably dramatically reduce how much people are able to sell/trade their cars for.

There's also competition. The next few years of competitive vehicles released will be a lot for Tesla to deal with.

I wanted to order a MY-LR for my 50th birthday in January. That's probably not going to happen. Again, unless people start refusing their cars to get the $7k-10k tax incentive.

Noone is sure what the incentives will be until the bill is passed. Some people think green energy proposals will be some of the first things cut to make the bill more favorable to pass.
I agree. I don't think it will stay in it's current form and will be reduced substantially. $3.5 trillion is huge money to add to the national debt.
Will see what happens..

It is not complicated to implement something like rebate based on purchase date and set start date around the time bill passes. They just need to ask for purchase date in the tax forms. Something like that is fair for car companies like Tesla that have already crossed the previous 200k limit since it won’t mess up their last quarter sales.

If it's a point-of-sale rebate, you'd have lots of work to make it retro-active on sales that already happened and were settlled.

If you make it a tax credit on income tax, and again try to apply it retroactively into sales during 2021, you'd have people needing to re-calculate and re-file 2021 taxes for the car they bought in late 2021.

All proposed legislation I've seen uses sold-on (delivery) date for qualification, and Jan 1 2022 as the effective date - putting all makers on the same footing, and cleanly making the tax change only hit 2022 tax year.

It would be nice to have retroactive $7.5k clear back as far as possible.... it just doesn't seem at all likely, assuming we get anything at all thru congress.

If it's a point-of-sale rebate, you'd have lots of work to make it retro-active on sales that already happened and were settlled.

If you make it a tax credit on income tax, and again try to apply it retroactively into sales during 2021, you'd have people needing to re-calculate and re-file 2021 taxes for the car they bought in late 2021.

All proposed legislation I've seen uses sold-on (delivery) date for qualification, and Jan 1 2022 as the effective date - putting all makers on the same footing, and cleanly making the tax change only hit 2022 tax year.

It would be nice to have retroactive $7.5k clear back as far as possible.... it just doesn't seem at all likely, assuming we get anything at all thru congress.
Point-on-sale rebate would probably be just as difficult to implement from Jan 1, 2022. More likely it will initially just be made fully refundable and probably point of sale rebate would be at a later date, say, Jan 2023. Assuming of course anything passes.

Reactions: thinktwice
Point-on-sale rebate would probably be just as difficult to implement from Jan 1, 2022. More likely it will initially just be made fully refundable and probably point of sale rebate would be at a later date, say, Jan 2023. Assuming of course anything passes.
If a bill passes with a point-of-sale tax credit, all Tesla will need to know is how much you made last year. Last I read, anyone making over $400k individual or $800k jointly will be ineligible. At least I assume Tesla needs to know. Not sure how it would work exactly. Maybe you pay whatever Tesla wants and you get your money from Uncle Sam relatively quickly.

I doubt anything will be effective this year, but the simplest thing if they wanted to give something either through the end of the year or retroactive for part/all of the year might be to lift the 200k car limit for manufacturers through the end of the year then make a point of sale credit starting 1/1. It would be nice to get it since I'm probably getting my car in November, but at this point I don't think I'm waiting on the tax credit. If Tesla announces a major change in the cars before I take delivery, I might wait. Tax credit + something big would be enough for me to wait.

When I placed my original order, and it got pushed out to Jan 2022 (then March) - I thought - perhaps I can take advantage of the tax incentive if it passes, perhaps a newer batter tech and build up a bigger down payment. But, then I noticed some demo cars show up on existing inventory - so I snagged one. With the current political situation, I have concerns this won't pass - not that Tesla needs it (look at existing demand). Worst cased - I could drive the demo car for 6 months, sell it (perhaps at a profit), and then take delivery of my existing order.

I don't think any dealer or Tesla is in a position to verify income claimed by a buyer. Point of sale would likely be a mess.

With a POS rebate, if people find they weren't entitled to claim it's just the same as underpaying taxes during the year.
If they have high income, it's less likely to be a problem to pay the money owed when they file.
So as long as the underlying entitlement is equivalent to a refundable tax credit, where people won't be excluded due to _low_ income a mistake would be no big deal.

The challenge isn't verifying income, it's verifying identity.

Isn't this always the case though? That is, proposals always come with a plan for funding that doesn't involve going further into debt?

Yet there is a huge national debt. What gives?
Some bills don't have "pay fors". Sometimes the government decides to issue massive tax cuts without spending cuts, which drives up the deficit. Occasionally, they authorize a couple of multi-decade wars with blank checks. They also then choose to drastically cut back the IRS so it can't audit the wealthy, who mostly avoid paying any taxes while hoarding vast amounts of wealth. They also pass massive spending programs with insufficient thought into how potential futures changes in the balance of demographics/age cohorts could affect the solubility of the program (lookin at you, social security). But, they also don't want to stop doing any of these things, because the status quo is incredibly lucrative for their donors. Thus, deficit.

The other question to consider is just how much more will Tesla increase prices across the board by the time the bill passes, if it does. That'll certainly help negate the benefit of waiting, albeit I'm sure we wouldn't see anything close to a $7500 increase. Then at that time, assuming the chip shortage doesn't improve considerably, wait times could also increase exponentially with the number of orders they'll be receiving.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911