Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SALT cap is now 80,000 over 9 years as opposed to 10,000/year over 9 years, which sure looks like a higher number. This seems silly...
I don't think so.

Section 137601. Modification of Limitation on Deduction for State and Local Taxes Increases the limitation the deduction for state and local taxes from $10,000 to $72,500 ($36,250 in the case of an estate, trust, or married individual filing a separate return), and extends the limitation through 2031. This provision is made effective for taxable years beginning after 2020.

Looks like the original income and MSRP caps made it to the final bill (HR 5376)

(1) shall be the lesser of--
``(A) the modified adjusted gross income for the
taxable year in which the credit is claimed, or
``(B) the modified adjusted gross income for the
immediately preceding taxable year.
``(3) Threshold amount.--For purposes of paragraph (1), the
term `threshold amount' means--
``(A) $800,000 in the case of a joint return or
surviving spouse (half such amount for married filing
separately),
``(B) $600,000 in the case of a head of household,
and
``(C) $400,000 in any other case.
``(d) Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price Limitation.--
``(1) In general.--No credit shall be allowed under
subsection (a) for a vehicle with a manufacturer's suggested
retail price in excess of the applicable limitation.
``(2) Applicable limitation.--For purposes of paragraph
(1), the applicable limitation for each vehicle classification
is as follows:
``(A) Sedans.--In the case of a sedan, $55,000.
``(B) Vans.--In the case of a van, $64,000.
``(C) Sport utility vehicles.--In the case of a
sport utility vehicle, $69,000.
``(D) Pickup trucks.--In the case of a pickup
truck, $74,000.

I’m seeing lower income thresholds and higher MSRP caps on page 1483 of the document linked by hobbesH in post #1734.

Income thresholds:
Individual: $250k
Head of household: $375k
Married: $500k

MSRP cap:
Pickups, SUVs, and vans: $80k
Other (aka cars): $55k

‘‘(d) LIMITATION BASED ON MODIFIED ADJUSTED 1GROSS INCOME.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The amount of the credit allowable under subsection (a) for any taxable year shall be reduced (but not below zero) by $200 for each $1,000 (or fraction thereof) by which—
‘‘(A) the lesser of—
‘‘(i) the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income for such taxable year, or
‘‘(ii) the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income for the preceding taxable year, exceeds
‘‘(B) the threshold amount.
For purposes of the preceding sentence, the term ‘modified adjusted gross income’ means adjusted gross income increased by any amount excluded from gross income under section 911, 931, or 933.
‘‘(2) THRESHOLD AMOUNT.—For purposes of paragraph (1), the term ‘threshold amount’ means— ‘
'‘(A) $500,000 in the case of a joint return or surviving spouse (half such amount in the case of a married individual filing a separate re turn),
‘‘(B) $375,000 in the case of a head of household, and
‘‘(C) $250,000 in any other case.

‘‘(e) MANUFACTURER’S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE LIMITATION.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—No credit shall be allowed under subsection (a) for a vehicle with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price in excess of the applicable limitation.
‘‘(2) APPLICABLE LIMITATION.—For purposes of paragraph (1), the applicable limitation for each vehicle classification is as follows:
‘‘(A) VANS.—In the case of a van, 25 $80,000.
‘‘(B) SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES.—In the case of a sport utility vehicle, $80,000.
‘‘(C) PICKUP TRUCKS.—In the case of a 4 pickup truck, $80,000.
‘‘(D) OTHER.—In the case of any other ve hicle, $55,000.

Last edited:
The House passage (which included votes from moderates and progressives) and relatively favorable CBO score are positive developments.

It seems likely Sinema and Manchin will seek additional cuts (e.g, paid leave), but the base EV credit seems relatively safe.

It starting to sound like they've worked out some of Sinema's issues. She seems to be onboard with the current taxes and the revision to the Drug pricing elements of the bill. As you said, neither seem to be concerned about the EV credits so do those look pretty safe for now.

Manchin and timing is the real hurdle, he has said time and again he want's to delay this bill to see what happens with inflation and he is against Pad Leave in this bill. But they are starting to talk about doing Paid leave separately, which could appease both Manchin and Sanders if it looks like there is a potential for bipartisan support. There have been some Republican Senators onboard with Paid Leave so it could be a bipartisan issue. Question is, if PL gets pulled, and goes back to the House, do the House Progressives throw another fit about the bill not being progressive enough? I wouldn't think so.

Looking back, it's really too bad they didn't put the EV credits into the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill. I don't see the EV credits being a deal breaker with the republicans that signed onto that bill. The cost is minimal and it fits alongside the other EV charging funding that was passed. That would have really saved us here a lot of frustration and grief.

It starting to sound like they've worked out some of Sinema's issues. She seems to be onboard with the current taxes and the revision to the Drug pricing elements of the bill. As you said, neither seem to be concerned about the EV credits so do those look pretty safe for now.

Manchin and timing is the real hurdle, he has said time and again he want's to delay this bill to see what happens with inflation and he is against Pad Leave in this bill. But they are starting to talk about doing Paid leave separately, which could appease both Manchin and Sanders if it looks like there is a potential for bipartisan support. There have been some Republican Senators onboard with Paid Leave so it could be a bipartisan issue. Question is, if PL gets pulled, and goes back to the House, do the House Progressives throw another fit about the bill not being progressive enough? I wouldn't think so.
Guarantee you no Republican senators will cross the divide and vote for this. It's going through via the reconciliation process, which is simple majority vs 60 votes. They need all 50 Democrat senators to vote aye, then Kamala makes it 51 for the tie breaker.

Edit: I see what you're suggesting. They peel out some of the elements and allow it to pass, then deal with those other elements, such as PFL, and tackle them separately.

Last edited:
Guarantee you no Republican senators will cross the divide and vote for this. It's going through via the reconciliation process, which is simple majority vs 60 votes. They need all 50 Democrat senators to vote aye, then Kamala makes it 51 for the tie breaker.
I have no expectation that Republicans would cross the aisle for BBB. I think there is a chance that Paid Leave get's pulled out of the bill with the promise it gets addressed separately (this would be in 2022-2023). This could get Manchin onboard with BBB and appease Sanders/Gillibrand. There is a chance Paid Leave, on it's own, get's Bipartisan Support.

I’m seeing lower income thresholds and higher MSRP caps on page 1483 of the document linked by hobbesH in post #1734.

Income thresholds:
Individual: $250k
Head of household: $375k
Married: $500k

MSRP cap:
Pickups, SUVs, and vans: $80k
Other (aka cars): $55k
Still too high. Cut it down to 100/150/200 tops hard cap.

If you’re making over that and can’t afford an EV, consider not ordering as much carry out and Starbucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Still too high. Cut it down to 100/150/200 tops hard cap.

If you’re making over that and can’t afford an EV, consider not ordering as much carry out and Starbucks.
We can all play this game. Reduce MSRP limit to 40k. If you are getting an over 40k car, you don't need the tax credit and can make up the difference with some home cooked meals and home made coffee. Amirite? /s

No, the house bill states that it only applies to cars acquired after Jan 1 2022. The Senate could change that but why would they since that would only make the bill more expensive with no incentive benefit.
Not to nitpick but isn't the exact wording Jan 1 2022, or when the bill is signed, whichever comes later? I only want to clarify this as it puts a bunch of people who are releasing their holds on Jan 1st in a tough predicament if they are still arguing over this thing next year.

Last edited:

Looks like Christmas is the new deadline Schumer wants to hit...if it passes, there is going to be a HUGE deluge of folks clicking "I'm Ready" and releasing their holds....I wonder how this will be handled by Tesla's internal processes?

BACK OF THE BUS!

(joking)

I would not want to be an SA in 2022 if the bill passes... lots of angry, impatient future owners.

BACK OF THE BUS!

(joking)

I would not want to be an SA in 2022 if the bill passes... lots of angry, impatient future owners.
Thinking of maybe releasing my hold around the 20th? Get ahead of the curve a bit and then hope they can't deliver until after 1/1/22. I did notice that Model 3s have now been pushed from December to January delivery for new orders...

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC