Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Exhibit at the Detroit Show (NAIAS 2009)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting:

Detroit auto show features track for electric cars

Detroit auto show features track for electric cars

(Associated Press WorldStream Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) DETROIT_Organizers of Detroit's annual auto show have carved out space in the convention center basement for a 700-foot (213.36-meter)-long oval driving track to showcase zero emissions vehicles.

The track, which runs through a forest of about 100 Michigan maple, pine and birch trees and around two ponds with waterfalls, will let automakers display cutting-edge electric vehicles and other technology for more than 6,000 journalists signed up to attend the show's press days, said co-chairman Doug Fox, who runs several car dealerships in nearby Ann Arbor.
Journalists attending press preview days starting Sunday will be able to drive cars on the track, but the public will only be allowed to ride with professional drivers, Fox said. There will be a 10 mph (16 kph) speed limit, and crash barriers will be installed to prevent accidents.

General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co., Mitsubishi Motors, Tesla Motors Inc. and others will provide electric vehicles.

Maybe the majors requested this so they wouldn't get shamed or to keep parts for falling off of kludgy prototypes.

That was my first thought, actually. Wasn't the Volt prototype fairly limited in speed the last time it was shown moving? They may not be at a production point where they can go fast enough (or have other problems that any speed would show off).

Hmm... a little sparse. I've seen them put together more elaborate displays in the past. There are other VPs that have nicer interiors and better fit and finish than VP17. Maybe they're still getting set up. A mock-up of the home charger would be good (i.e. not just the "30 hour charge" cord).

Btw, looks like they get to look directly at Fisker.
http://www.naias.com/media/38777/09_floor_map.pdf

Last edited:
Egh...their first auto show (where it's actually their own booth is not the place to skimp, especially in front of Fisker.

I think this is all they're planning for. I doubt they ever planned to go to the Detroit auto show (b/c all those auto makers dropped out at only the last minute, which is what I think allowed them to get a display because otherwise it would've been cost-prohibitive) so maybe they didn't have the time to put together a good display.

If so, that would be good. Those displays must be outrageously $$$ if so many auto makers decided not to show.

Last edited:
looks like they get to look directly at Fisker.]

fisker-karma-s-concept-floo.jpg

The Fisker low glass wall looks right.
3189961472_221bc9421b_b.jpg

Last edited:
TEG - LOL

OT: So there's the thick orange cable running from the battery pack to the PEM; the cable to the charge port will be on the opposite side of the vehicle - but below the orange cable there's four hefty pins sticking out of the ESS. What are they for?

Trying to read the plaque...

Tesla Roadster Specifications:
Pure Electric. Zero emissions.
0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds. 1/4 mile in 12.7 seconds (at 105 MPH?)
Aluminum chassis, carbon fiber body (weight 2900lbs?)
244 mile driving range (EPA certified city/highway)
280 lb/ft of torque from 0-6,?00 rpm, redline 14,000 rpm
3 year, 36000 mile warranty.