Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*rolls eyes*
buys most technological car on the planet and afraid of software updates.
Recent updates have siggnificantly devalued thousands of peoples' cars with real, palpable downgrades. Tesla is capping Model S 85 capacity to under 60kwh usable which makes range go down so much many owners have been forced to sell their car when they could no longer use it as intended, and they are using these forced updates to downgrade acceleration and performance which was a $20,000 option and the sole reason a lot of us owned a Tesla in the first place.

They turned updates into something that should be feared. We have no idea what they will remove next, or how unusable they will make our cars become.

So here's something new. I'm still on V9 2019.32.2.2 -- and I had been rejecting FW updates to 10 for several weeks now. I had Tesla mobile service out today to fix a broken door handle, and during the repair, I picked up my phone to see if he disabled remote access (even though he was right outside in my driveway)... and under "Software Update" it said "Software update scheduled for Friday, 2am". I thought, gee, I never scheduled anything. So I wonder if the technician saw that I was one version behind and scheduled the update for me, not knowing I was rejecting V10, or if just by coincidence Tesla HQ reached inside and scheduled the update for 2am tomorrow morning. Perhaps this is how they "force" an update -- by quietly scheduling the update to trigger at the "normal" time. Luckily, once I got to the car I was able to bring up the scheduled update page and "Postpone" the update, so at least it shouldn't run overnight. But if I didn't just happen to notice that little change on the app, I would have been upgraded to V10 without my permission.

I'm still on V9 2019.32.2.2
Did you mean 2018? V10 started with 2018.40 or thereabouts.
On a related note, when I took my car in recently to have them fix something they broke during the last service, Tesla refused to fix the issue unless I upgraded to the latest firmware. I refused. At least they asked, but I suspect this is their policy now - refuse to do any service unless you're up-to-date on firmware.

Nope. I'm on V9, 2019.32.2.2.

upload_2019-11-14_22-22-49.png

Tesla's software updates have a well-documented history of breaking functionality and taking away features, while adding dubious distractions like fart apps. Owners who have personally experienced this over the past 5-6 years now tend to be more cautious about updating.
More like those owners learned that over the air updates have a much larger negative side than positive, even more so after newer hardware is released. OTA updates allow Tesla to sell vaporware and then deliver crapware months or years later, it allows them to cripple the product in reaction to media storms, or cripple the product because they didn't thoroughly test it in the first place and they just realize a few cars spontaneously combusted. Those with MCU1 also know that every update puts wear on the emmc, hence gets them that much closer to a $3,000 repair.

To give you one example: a software update basically eliminated the low-end bass response in the premium audio system, and it was at least a month before it was corrected in another update. When this sort of thing happened once or twice, we cut them slack and just waited for it to be fixed. When it happens consistently over a period of years, the slack runs out.
How about when they disabled air suspension form months in response to bad media press, even though Elon admitted that it did nothing (since the chances of it helping anyone were astronomical, as per Elon's own words)? Of the stupid v9/v10 interface which is actually a danger to use while driving (especially on MCU1)?

Nope. I'm on V9, 2019.32.2.2.

View attachment 477085

I've kept March built 2015 P85D+ on V9 for now (2019.32.2.1) hoping the V10 issues will be corrected. I run Waze for Tesla in the split screen browser all the time and the other new "features" of V10 simply aren't more beneficial than the split screen browser. Yes this does require turning off Traffic in Navigation, opening the sketchpad then closing it, then going back to the browser... or an MCU reboot every couple of days to keep the browser working but not a small inconvenience IMHO.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The end may be near... Tesla gives deadline to force software updates on owners who have been resisting them - Electrek

Several Tesla owners with vehicles on older software versions are reporting having received the following in-car message from Tesla:

The Tesla network is undergoing enhancements for increased security. In order to maintain compatibility with and access to connected vehicle features, this vehicle requires a software update to at least version 2019.40.2.3. If not updated prior to 1-May-2020, this vehicle may no longer be able to receive over-the-air software updates, access the Tesla Mobile App & associated features, utilize voice commands, receive streaming media content, and other connectivity dependent features may be impacted. Please install the available software update by selecting the yellow clock icon and choosing a convenient time. If you are persistently experiencing software update installation failures, please schedule a service appointment via Tesla Mobile App.

Tesla didn’t elaborate on what security enhancements they are making with this update. Many of the features that Tesla claims would be deactivated if they don’t update are considered essential in the Tesla ownership experience.