Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.

Keep in mind that I got home with 11% charge and forgot to plug-in. And my car has not connected to Wi-fi in over a year.

Now I'm not going to go into all "entitled" mode and say I'm going to sue Tesla or start a class-action lawsuit or assault the local service center to roll it back. Because (a) I'm not that kind of person, and (2), I know it's pointless.

I'm just stinking mad that I now have to suffer with the utter bullcrap software that is V9.

The only upside is that now I don't have to be afraid to go in for service. My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself. Oh yeah, and Teslatari. Woot. :mad:

upload_2019-5-29_21-0-12.png

upload_2019-5-29_21-5-18.png

upload_2019-5-29_21-5-34.png

How does this happen? I've never seen an update happen without confirmation. So far, I'm still happily on V8.

I don't know. But I never approved, confirmed, nor started the update.

edited to add: And nobody was in or drove my car. I have the only working key.

And since I was on 2018.18, remote updating via the app wasn't possible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and GSP
Tesla can force upgrade you if they want to, but it’s extremely rare. This is only the 2nd attempt I’ve heard of. Unfortunately this was also the first successful one. The late, the owner blocked them from updating via root ala @wk057 several years ago after leaking the 100 pack. Though I think they tried to downgrade his firmware if I recall correctly.

Tesla can force upgrade you if they want to, but it’s extremely rare. This is only the 2nd attempt I’ve heard of. Unfortunately this was also the first successful one. The late, the owner blocked them from updating via root ala @wk057 several years ago after leaking the 100 pack. Though I think they tried to downgrade his firmware if I recall correctly.
They forced updates in the past. The most publicized was when they disabled all autopilot in Hong Kong - all owners woke up to a new version without AutoPilot.

Thankfully you didn’t have an emergency or need the car, then you’d have really been in a pickle and probably have a really good lawsuit on your hands.

I agree, but, and IANAL, I'd think I'd have to prove damages, as well as prove that I didn't confirm or approve an update, and I don't think that's possible. And Tesla would probably just point to [some other] log file and say "look-- he pressed 'confirm' at 8:49pm ET'" case closed. I'm sure that Tesla schedules these forced updates at wee hours of the morning when they know most people are fast asleep.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I agree, but, and IANAL, I'd think I'd have to prove damages, as well as prove that I didn't confirm or approve an update, and I don't think that's possible. And Tesla would probably just point to [some other] log file and say "look-- he pressed 'confirm' at 8:49pm ET'" case closed. I'm sure that Tesla schedules these forced updates at wee hours of the morning when they know most people are fast asleep.
They'll point to the fact that this was a mandatory public safety update, game over. The fact that they don't have safety updates for older versions of the software is just a crappy product feature which you may not like (I don't) but not a defect.

Every now and then I see a new thread with some new owner is asking if they should do the updates. My standard response is that it goes the whole spectrum from folks like me that eagerly install every update as soon as offered to those who choose to not update very often or at all. Looks like I'll be bookmarking this thread for an example to include of the latter. :)

They'll point to the fact that this was a mandatory public safety update, game over. The fact that they don't have safety updates for older versions of the software is just a crappy product feature which you may not like (I don't) but not a defect.

I think it's a defect when the newer software takes away functionality that was in the older version of the software. For instance, I use V8 with camera on top and map on the bottom, as I have for all previous versions for over six years. V9 doesn't support that configuration, and that's a problem.