Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completion of giga factory will be done when cash positive and second factory would be a lot lower cost probably in Asia

I think even Tesla admits that it won't be cash-flow positive (even in the most optimistic scenario) before 2020 over more than one quarter.
I don't see how Tesla can finance a first and second GF with operational cash-flows.

And if the costs for a comparable GF in Asia are indeed much lower, then Korean/Chinese/Japanese battery competitors have huge cost advantages over time.

- - - Updated - - -

So?
Tesla and Panasonic can't? won't? finish the Gigafactory due to running out of money - in your dreams!, and b) I'm not really sure what assumption I'm suppose to arrive at for that one. But we already have plenty of chatter coming out of Tesla that a) they have the lowest battery pack costs, and b) they are fully expecting to get pack costs down to a level that makes the whole battery equivalent in cost to a typical ICE engine

I didn't write they will run out of money - but it's one possible scenario if credit markets shut down in a future recession / downturn. My main scenario is Tesla raising additional billions to be able to finish the first GF and the Model3, which adds more risk to the balance sheet and dilutes existing shareholders.

As for b) EVs winning (or at least gaining double-digit marketshare over the next 1-2 decades) and getting to cost parity with ICE soon. Once again this is is not the same as Tesla winning or being/remaining the cost leader. Large Asian battery suppliers (LG Chem, Samsung etc.) have lots of experience operating on tight margins and will compete on similar levels.

I heard the exact same arguments listed for Tesla from German solar companies (when companies like Q-Cells dominated global panel sales) a few years ago. Arguments such as "We have better technology/automation/supply chains etc. and will dominate the industry thanks to economies of scale". A few years later most of them were bankrupted by fast followers with deep pockets from Asia.

I think even Tesla admits that it won't be cash-flow positive (even in the most optimistic scenario) before 2020 over more than one quarter.
I don't see how Tesla can finance a first and second GF with operational cash-flows.

And if the costs for a comparable GF in Asia are indeed much lower, then Korean/Chinese/Japanese battery competitors have huge cost advantages over time.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't write they will run out of money - but it's one possible scenario if credit markets shut down in a future recession / downturn. My main scenario is Tesla raising additional billions to be able to finish the first GF and the Model3, which adds more risk to the balance sheet and dilutes existing shareholders.

As for b) EVs winning (or at least gaining double-digit marketshare over the next 1-2 decades) and getting to cost parity with ICE soon. Once again this is is not the same as Tesla winning or being/remaining the cost leader. Large Asian battery suppliers (LG Chem, Samsung etc.) have lots of experience operating on tight margins and will compete on similar levels.

I heard the exact same arguments listed for Tesla from German solar companies (when companies like Q-Cells dominated global panel sales) a few years ago. Arguments such as "We have better technology/automation/supply chains etc. and will dominate the industry thanks to economies of scale". A few years later most of them were bankrupted by fast followers with deep pockets from Asia.

I think the confusion here is that Tesla is not selling commodity batteries. They are buying batteries to use in their cars. If you are selling batteries, low prices reduce your profit. If you are buying batteries, low prices increase your profit.

So?

So?

You keep repeating these points. I believe you want us to arrive at the assumption that a) Tesla and Panasonic can't? won't? finish the Gigafactory due to running out of money - in your dreams!, and b) I'm not really sure what assumption I'm suppose to arrive at for that one. But we already have plenty of chatter coming out of Tesla that a) they have the lowest battery pack costs, and b) they are fully expecting to get pack costs down to a level that makes the whole battery equivalent in cost to a typical ICE engine. (That last should be a lightbulb moment for you.)

The game is over, tftf. You just don't know it yet.

He wants us to arrive at the conclusion that in order for Tesla to accomplish their goals, they will need a lot more future capital raises, which equates to diluting shareholders.

Never mind the fact that anyone with half a brain and paid even the slightest attention over the past few years realizes that every time Tesla has raised capital in the past, the stock has gone UP.

When Tesla did a secondary at $90 and Elon bought some himself, that set the stage for the massive short squeeze to $200.
When Tesla raised money for the Gigafactory the stock went vertical to 270.
Even the latest capital raise after Q2 earnings disappointment, where the stock had every excuse to go down on it, it went up instead, and the secondary was oversubscribed.

The capital markets jump over themselves to give money to Tesla. This is because Tesla is not raising the money for operating purposes. They are not raising money to pay salary or keep the lights on. They are raising money to invest in the future, which means great earnings potential in the coming years. It is not dilutive, it is accretive. The capital markets understand this, thats why the stock goes up every time they raise money. The people here understand this, that is why no one is concerned over it, even when Elon states openly that they will be spending vast amounts of capex.

Everyone understands this, besides some shorts like tftf who are hanging on to their last thread.

Yes, indeed the game is over.

Last edited:
The game is over, tftf. You just don't know it yet.

The "game" (moving from current ICE cars to more EVs and autonomous/connected mobility) will last 1-2 decades, at least.

Let's assume everything goes according to plan for Tesla and it makes/sells around 500k batteries and cars by 2020.

Where will the other/remaining 99.5 million new cars be coming from? Tesla can't provide them. So even by 2020, the "game" will still be in the first inning.

Did Commodore win the home PC market back in 1980-1985?
Did Blackbery win in smartphones back in 2000-2005?
Did Q-Cells win the solar (panel) market back in 2005-2010?

Where are these former three market/technology leaders today? We know the answer. The same can happen to Tesla between 2016-2021.

You seem to call/know the winner before the first inning is played.

Wow, I step away from this thread for a month, and tftf is still going on about $5B as if we are supposed to be impressed by the bigness of the number. Ok, so let's shrink this down to size. A nominal investment of $5B in a plant and equipment with nominal capacity is $100 capex per annual capacity of 1 kWh. Suppose most of these assets are good for 15 years or more and we can finance at 6% or better over 15 years. Then capex is just $9.71/kWh. Given the ambition to push the total cost of production under $100/kWh, this level of capex cost does not seem like a huge impediment. Also note that all energy costs of manufacture is embedded in capex because of the reliance on onsite renewable energy. So if 10% of your cost includes plant, property, equipment and energy, that's not a bad deal.

But it gets better. If Tesla enhances the density of the battery or finds other ways to increase kWh throughput, then the capex cost per kWh drops. For example a 15% gain on density reduces the cost to $8.45/kWh.

So with capex as such a small portion of the total cost of production, it seems that Tesla should not struggle to find willing lenders and other financiers. For example, I know a certain solar installer that is willing to offer 6% lease financing. Perhaps it is cheaper for Tesla to issue its own debt at 4.5% instead. No matter. The question is not whether Tesla can get capital, but at what cost. Even if Tesla is trying to grow on a cash positive basis, leasing renewable power systems and other equipment is not a bad way to go.

I would also point out that SolarCity's ambition with their Riverbend plant and other manufacturing plants is not to own them, but to lease them. They want to reserve their debt ratio for project financing. This may well reflect Musk's thinking for Tesla to. Once the Gigafactory is in place they can sell power assets to a yield co and lease back. They can sell the plant and buildings to a REIT and lease back, and they can lease equipment as well. So long as PPE and energy are a small enough component of production costs, they can lease it and move capital into high value uses.

I didn't write they will run out of money....

You didn't have to write it. You've hung your hat on 'where is the money going to come from?' for a few years now. And yet here we are and the money just keeps showing up.

And once again it doesn't mean that Tesla doesn't win or remain the cost leader. That's why we place our bets.

Irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't argue what inning were in...but yes I'm calling the game over.

Where will the other/remaining 99.5 million new cars be coming from?

This question coming from one of the 'competition is coming to kill Tesla' guys?! Some consistency in your stance/argument would be appreciated, otherwise it gets really hard to follow the train of thought.

Where are these former three market/technology leaders today?

It's irrelevant what happened to Commodore, Blackberry etc... Has nothing to do with Tesla.

The three leaders TFTF mentioned did not innovate. They were simply standing still when they had a great market leadership. Every 5 years you have to completely reinvent yourselves. That is the difference between Tesla and other first-mover losers.

I will give you another example where this might happen - VMware. An undisputed leader still in virtualization, but is being swept away by cloud vendors and a new kid in the block -Docker containers. All because of their stifling and asinine licensing model.

Merry X-mas to both sceptics and belibers!

If you're feeling festive then go ahead and sing the rest of this post out loud! :)

Melody: Jingle Bells

Gushing through the snow
in a brand new Model 3
That was custom built
in the Fremont factory
With a pack that's fully charged
and a price that can't be beat
You see out there in Nevada
there is something really neat...

Battery cells, battery cells, battery cells galore,
once we've built a billion we will build a billion more!

A gigantuous factory
with solar up on top
With such ubiquitous power
the price is set to drop
But some are unconvinced
Saying batteries are not yet
Ready for the prime time
But this they will regret...

With production ramping up
and the Japanese in place
It seems the competition
Are doomed to take up chase
We put anode, cathode in
Never mind mind the length or height
As we finish up the casing
we pour in electrolyte...

Elon is the genius we will all come to adore!

The three leaders TFTF mentioned did not innovate. They were simply standing still when they had a great market leadership. Every 5 years you have to completely reinvent yourselves. That is the difference between Tesla and other first-mover losers.

TFTF also does not innovate. He keeps repeating the same old arguments, over several threads, no matter what feedback he gets from us and from official company reports like the GigaFactory actually being ahead of schedule and to be build out to even larger capacity than the initial plan.

He also fails to consider that not only does Tesla have a very clear strategy but also has much more data than TFTF has access to.
I put my cards on Tesla not repeatedly lying in official communications and having this all figured out a bit better than TFTF.

Edit : I enjoyed your great post Johan !

Last edited:
The "game" (moving from current ICE cars to more EVs and autonomous/connected mobility) will last 1-2 decades, at least.

Let's assume everything goes according to plan for Tesla and it makes/sells around 500k batteries and cars by 2020.

Where will the other/remaining 99.5 million new cars be coming from? Tesla can't provide them. So even by 2020, the "game" will still be in the first inning.

Did Commodore win the home PC market back in 1980-1985?
Did Blackbery win in smartphones back in 2000-2005?
Did Q-Cells win the solar (panel) market back in 2005-2010?

Where are these former three market/technology leaders today? We know the answer. The same can happen to Tesla between 2016-2021.

Not only do we know the winner but can certainly recognize the loser

Merry X-mas to both sceptics and belibers!

If you're feeling festive then go ahead and sing the rest of this post out loud! :)

Melody: Jingle Bells

Gushing through the snow
in a brand new Model 3
That was custom built
in the Fremont factory
With a pack that's fully charged
and a price that can't be beat
You see out there in Nevada
there is something really neat...

A gigantuous factory
with solar up on top
With such ubiquitous power
the price is set to drop
But some are unconvinced
Saying batteries are not yet
Ready for the prime time
But this they will regret...

With production ramping up
and the Japanese in place
It seems the competition
Are doomed to take up chase
We put anode, cathode in
Never mind mind the length or height
As we finish up the casing
we pour in electrolyte...

Elon is the genius we will all come to adore!

Wow this IS a nice Christmas song for (most of) all of us!

Yes, we can be absolutely clear about who the losers are. Let's fast forward to a time when there are lots of battery producers selling advanced battery packs into both electrical and automotive markets at prices below $100/kWh. The industry is supplying over 1 TWh of batteries per year, but economists recognize that the addressable market for batteries is still 5 times that level. We cannot predict what share of the market Tesla holds at this point, but it is definitely the business to be in.

The obvious losers are the fossil fuel related industries. 1.25 TWh is enough to put an extra 25 million electric vehicles on the road and knock out at least 1 mb/d (million barrels per day) of demand for oil. So at this stage, the oil industry is in massive decline. Each year the glut of fossil fuels get worse than the year before with no hope of recovery. Drilling will be limited to maintaining existing wells, and capital will flee oil and gas investments.

Investing in a gigafactory will be much more promising than developing an oil field. So whatever competive pressure Tesla may face from innovative battery makers, these pale in comparison to the obsolence risk that oil and gas face from those same innovators. Anyone who is shorting Tesla because they really believe other more innovative battery makers threaten Tesla should actually be shorting the oil and gas industry. Indeed, such shorts have already missed to opportunity to short Chesapeake, the largest US gas producer, whose stock has fallen 80% over this last year. This is just the beginning. There will be short ops like this all over the oil and gas sector for decades. Just looking at gas futures, the market still thinks that the price of natural gas will recover above $3/mmbtu by 2020, but this totally ignores the falling price of solar which presently caps gas at around $3 and will cap gas at $2 in less than 5 years. Massive overpricing in gas futures just fuels a sustained glut. The economy seriously needs shorts to bring discipline to the oil and gas sector. But hey, shorting Tesla is so much sexier. It's the glamour short.

You didn't have to write it. You've hung your hat on 'where is the money going to come from?' for a few years now. And yet here we are and the money just keeps showing up.

This question coming from one of the 'competition is coming to kill Tesla' guys?! Some consistency in your stance/argument would be appreciated, otherwise it gets really hard to follow the train of thought.

It's irrelevant what happened to Commodore, Blackberry etc... Has nothing to do with Tesla.

I wrote that Tesla would need billions and billions of fresh funds to get the GF and the Model3 done - that was already back in in late 2013 and 2014 when some bullish people on this forum (and on SA) predicted that Tesla is somehow able to internally (operational Cash-flows) generate all the cash needed gong forward - which of course turned out to be false.

My argument remains the same: If a significant or at least a growing portion of the remaining 99.5M people (the "remaining" new car buyers in 2020 which Tesla can't serve even at full capacity that year) want longer-range EVs more car companies will build them and more battery suppliers will build the latest battery plants for them.

It's not irrelevant what happened to other market leaders in nascent sectors: PCs, smartphones and solar panel revenue exploded while pioneers in these sectors went bankrupt or were marginalized. I think these examples are quite relevant for Tesla - note I don't say that outcome is certain, but some bulls seem to dismiss it while the shift to more EVs will take at least until 2025 or 2035 - as I wrote, we aren't even in the first inning imho. How can we predict "winners" already?

The car market moves much slower and requires more cap-ex than most other sectors. It's therefore even harder for a new entrant to "disrupt" (I think this borrowed tech sector word can't be used in the car market properly, changes take decades, not years) the sector.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't argue what inning were in...but yes I'm calling the game over.

I still don't know which "game" you refer to. As I outlined in earlier comments

A) Tesla (with vertical integration of battery production) "winning"

or

B) EVs "winning"

are two very different outcomes in my opinion.

Most people in the car industry won't argue that EVs, or at least "electrified vehicles" (and more autonomous/connected cars) will play a very important role in the next 1-2 decades. The car sector is mature in many countries so each attainable percent of growth and each "conquest" car model for brand switchers (which is possible more easily with PHEVs and EVs) is looked at very carefully - upcoming emission regulations in key markets will do their part as well.

But that outcome A) doesn't have to result in B). I predict price wars and very tight margins in the Model3 space - especially on the battery production side.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but that's much easier to say in hindsight (not to criticize your post). Back in their prime time in 1985, 2000 or 2005 few experts would have looked at the three example companies that way. They were all poised to dominate their sectors back then - often posting double- or tripled-digit growth.

Last edited:
My argument remains the same: If a significant or at least growing portion of the remaining 99.5M people (new car buyers in 2020 which Tesla can't serve even at full capacity) want longer-range EVs more car companies will build them and more battery suppliers will build the latest battery plants for them.
And they are currently behind, but they will try and catch up. TM will be limited by their cash, but are dedicated to innovation so the bet is that they will retain a significant lead for the next 5 to 10 years.

Also, since you don't have a profile on TMC, but do on SA, it might be helpful for others to know where you are coming from: Tales From The Future | Seeking Alpha

I wrote that Tesla would need billions and billions of fresh funds to get the GF and the Model3 done - that was already back in in late 2013 and 2014 when some bullish people on this forum (and on SA) predicted that Tesla is somehow able to internally (operational Cash-flows) generate all the cash needed gong forward - which of course turned out to be false.

That's not what you said back 'then'. But I'm okay letting you think that's what you said because even then it's disingenuous and incorrect. Tesla most certainly could have funded the GF and Model 3 internally, they simply couldn't have expanded the SuperCharger Network, SCs, galleries, Tesla Energy, employee base, taken their time throwing the kitchen sink at Model X, expanding Tesla as a whole worldwide as well and as rapidly as they have. Sometimes things change. Indeed, with Tesla (and Solar City, and SpaceX) things change pretty much on a daily basis and when the opportunity to accelerate expansion plans came, Tesla leapt at the chance and grabbed the capital.

My argument remains the same:

I wish. I really do because as I said earlier, your constant movement of the goal posts to fit your position is most frustrating from a logical standpoint and the ability to have a clear discussion of points.

If a significant or at least a growing portion of the remaining 99.5M people (the "remaining" new car buyers in 2020 which Tesla can't serve even at full capacity that year) want longer-range EVs more car companies will build them and more battery suppliers will build the latest battery plants for them.

First of all, you continually get stuck in the notion that everything has to happen to the fullest in the span of one steamboat. You continually think the GF has to be 100% complete before it can work and here you are again thinking that 100m cars must be built all at once.

Secondly, Tesla wants - it really, really wants - more companies on board building EVs. That's a clear win for Tesla. So bring it! Fair warning to the 'competition': you better come with your best stuff because competition has a way of upping Elon's game.

It's not irrelevant what happened to other market leaders in nascent sectors:

Yes, it is irrelevant. Tesla stands on its own, not as some copycat of previous businesses. Tesla is in control of its own destiny, not ruled by any that have come before. I baked a cake and it fell, therefore if you bake a cake it will fall too; that's the basis of what you're saying.

The car market moves much slower...

The car market 'used to' move much slower.

... and requires more cap-ex than most other sectors. It's therefore even harder for a new entrant to "disrupt"...

And yet Tesla has acquired the cap-ex and has turned the sector on it's putootie - again, some just don't know it yet.

I still don't know which "game" you refer to.

Both. All.

I predict price wars and very tight margins in the Model3 space - especially on the battery production side.

Predict all you want. The fact remains Tesla leads and have set themselves up to continue to lead, and are daring others to catch up. If someone manages to catch up, we all win including Tesla.

Last edited:
Wow, I step away from this thread for a month, and tftf is still going on about $5B as if we are supposed to be impressed by the bigness of the number.

Thank you for this, I hadn't really considered the cost of CapEx amortized over the span of its assumed life. I mean it makes sense of course.

You know the other aspect of this, consider the most cut throat business rocket launching. There is an inconceivable amount of new cars produced every year (currently around 90M) and we are worried about Tesla getting boxed out of the market before they can hit .5% of the share? Consider instead Rocket Launches. There are only what? Like 100 some odd launches every year? And SpaceX did 6. Where is the outcry that SpaceX is *only* at 70M per launch. I mean, you better watch out because the competition is just going to come in there and wreck their world, right? Yet, somehow, somehow... the ancient dinosaurs of the industry Boeing and Lockheed with their launches exceeding 250M somehow still are able to get some amount of business. Why is that? Why would anyone willingly pay 3x the cost for what amounts to the same product? Because there is more market (demand) than there is people able to meet that demand (supply).

So here we have an EV company with a supply, but their supply amounts to a fraction of the potential demand. Why do people buy the BMW i8? Why do people buy the Porsche 918 Spider? Why do people buy any number of other inferior Plug-in type vehicles? Because there is more demand than supply (or people have some amount of brand loyalty and/or other draw toward that product causing a perceived added value... but mostly its a supply issue). So even if this magical competition comes out of nowhere and by 2020 there is enough supply for 12 equal companies to each produce 500k cars and all of them at a better price than Tesla, worst case, Tesla becomes like Boeing and Lockheed with their rocket launches still finding business at 3x cost because now instead of the EV market being at .5% of the total demand, the market is at 6.5% of the total annual demand. Tesla is still going to find business. It won't be until we start to see *maybe* 50% market supply of the underlying demand that we really start to look at having trouble which means some 45M new EVs produced each year.

It had been mentioned before that in order for Tesla to have an issue LG (or some other company - companies) would need to not just be building a gigafactory at 35GWh annual, but multiple factories at 350GWh annual (supply for approx 5M cars). I would counter that is still being generous and the number is likely closer to 3.15TWh before Tesla would have an issue finding market for their cars and margins would become "razor thin" and would have to cut costs further than they have.

This is all of course assuming that they also have no market for stationary storage. That means a drop of 50% of the worlds power plants could be converted to storage. According to EIA.gov there are 19,243 generators with a nameplate capacity of at least 1MW. In 2012 global installed capacity was 5,550,000,000 kWs. Yet the total annual generation was 21,532,000,000,000 kWhs. So lets look at the minimum average hourly generation to come to a true baseload demand if the curve was flat. That amounts to 2,457,990,868 kW per hour. So looking at the difference between the two is where they come to a reduction of 50% of the worlds power plants.

The question then becomes how much storage would one need? Well lets ignore the irregularities of renewables and assume the are all consistent generation sources such as hydro, coal, natural gas, or nuclear. So we need to support the potential for double the demand at certain time periods (5.5TW). Let's then also assume that storage only needs to match hourly at a 1-1 ratio of this peak power draw, so a removal of half the worlds power production would mean we need at a *minimum* 2.5TWh of storage. If the cost benefit of undercutting *all* forms of peak plants is at 850$/kWh it won't matter if Tesla is undercut on their current pack price of 250$/kWh advertised. Why? because the total addressable market is vastly larger than anyone can currently produce for. It would take 71 years of full gigafactory production to meet that demand (that's 2,500 GWh demand / 35GWh production per year). So even if, again, 2020 rolls around, and we have 350GWh of annual production combined by all this non-existent competition, it would *still* take 7 years of full production to meet this minimum supply requirement.

Realistically though, the 2.5TWh supply need is *vastly* under scoped, because you need account for multiple hours of over draw, and then multiple hours of under draw to replenish the store. Based on a 2012 curve (to try to remove renewables from the equation) this amounts to around a 15% +/- on either side, so lets assume for half the day you are running 15% too hot, and half the day running too low. You would then need to produce enough storage to hold out for at least 12 hours of running too hot for the day, before getting to the other side of the curve. Back to global numbers, the daily average is 58,991,780,821 kWh, if we are assuming that we only have 2,457,990,868 kW installed capacity, and dealing with just a 15% over/under, this amounts to 33,920,273,978 during the peak draw. Subtracting out the baseload generation of 29,495,890,416, amounts to 4,424,383,562 kWh of required storage to ensure enough draw during the 12 peak hours. This has now nearly doubled the required storage needs to 4.4TWh. And this is only with a *very* gentle 15% curve. As we go more into the extreme with Solar using 2020 projections, the over/under rises to around 36%, which increases the storage needs to 10,618,520,544 kWh or 10.6TWh.

The point is, we are not trying to compete battery vs battery... that doesn't matter. Otherwise how in the world did LG land a contract costing them around 1,000$/kWh with an order of 1GWh if Tesla is already able to take orders for 250$/kWh? By TFTF's logic, LG should be going out of business today, and not be landing more contracts that cost 4x the "going rate". So what are we *actually* competing against? The cost of other power generations. Coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear... etc. And I have heard numbers ranging from 500$/kWh to 850$/kWh before you have basically undercut all those plants completely. The variance is likely trying to take into account that difference between the need for say, 10TWh of global storage needs vs something lower like 2 or 4TWh. What is clear, the market is vast, and the supply... the supply is *very* low... and will remain low for the foreseeable future.

Again, even with the assumption that all the "competition" comes out of nowhere to build an vast amount of factories about to produce 350GWh a year, it won't matter what price anyone sets, as long as they are lower than 500$/kWh, Tesla will easily sell anything they can make, because the demand will be there to support the higher price. If someone comes and sells then at 1$/kWh, it won't matter, because they just won't have the supply.

Also, since you don't have a profile on TMC, but do on SA, it might be helpful for others to know where you are coming from: Tales From The Future | Seeking Alpha

Somebody else wrote that. Can't be the same person. Can't.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure it is pure coincidence but JP went dark on SA when TFTF went active and are both in Switzerland

TalesFromTheFuture (@talesftf) | Twitter

John Petersen's Articles | Seeking Alpha

Definitely not the same person. I've read pretty much all their stuff and they have very different writing, discussion and argument styles.