Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to find the hill she was on the film that.

It was pointed out in the Gigafactory Investor thread.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68586&d=1420744946.png

Nice to know they are still ahead of schedule. It is interesting that the project is still surrounded in secrecy. "Propriety"... What could be so proprietary about the steel frame of a building? It's not like building construction has changed all that much in the past 10 years or more...

I also find it interesting that the old drive by video was pulled. There wasn't anything special in the footage that I saw... Oh well.

"Propriety"... What could be so proprietary about the steel frame of a building?

Nothing whatsoever. The only possibility would be preparations for some absolutely enormous piece of equipment (like that press they have at Fremont), but I doubt there would be anything on that scale here. Even if there were, I don't see how a hole in the ground would inform anyone of anything.

I think they just want to keep nosy parkers away from the construction site. Plus Tesla is notoriously secretive even when there's nothing much to hide (I don't blame them on the proprietary information front... but often it's because Elon wants to make a big splash with an announcement). And besides as JRP3 says restricting something makes people even more curious, including the press.

I posted this in the short term price thread, but thought it belonged in here too. This article is claiming Tesla hiring 350 interns to work in Nevada this summer. I would think the gigafactory would not be ready to house employees by summer, but there's a twinkle of hope I'm wrong.

Joint Tesla-UNR program to offer up to 350 internships - Washington Times

The link within that article goes on to say: "They're looking at three major areas — mechanical, chemical and computer science engineering," Bozsik said. "They're looking to develop a talent pipeline that could potentially be trained now in the Bay Area but also relocated to Reno once the gigafactory is up and running."

There's even a few GF pictures in there. :smile:

Actually Lithium is not the most supply-critical element of battery production. It's Nickel and Chromium, according to a talk given by JB last year. There's actually not a lot of lithium in a Lion battery.

Chromium, Robin, or Cobalt? I can't think where there might be Cr in today's batteries, other than conceivably a less-than-negligible amount in a casing, if it were a stainless steel alloy

The link within that article goes on to say: "They're looking at three major areas — mechanical, chemical and computer science engineering," Bozsik said. "They're looking to develop a talent pipeline that could potentially be trained now in the Bay Area but also relocated to Reno once the gigafactory is up and running."

There's even a few GF pictures in there. :smile:

My bad, reading fail on my part :p that makes a lot more sense