Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I wonder if this means that Tesla will actually take part ownership of the mine if they become a major investor...?? Or perhaps this just goes toward Tesla being able to purchase below market rate.

"Bacanora’s supply contract states that the two mining companies, who together call themselves the Sonora Lithium Project Partners, will have to secure “significant” financing, but Tesla is permitted to contribute to the companies’ funding. Fortune notes that the mining companies originally estimated that they needed $114 million to build a lithium mine on the site..."

Last edited:
The Wyoming deposit may have been overstated http://trib.com/business/energy/high-hopes-of-wyoming-lithium-deposit-stalled/article_66a98d9c-8e2f-5918-9eee-18d3eef03e14.html

University researchers say they were simply looking at ways to store carbon dioxide underground. One company hoping to lease the lithium play from the state stressed it’s too early to tell what is beneath the ground. A legislator and geologist who filed a lease application isn’t optimistic about the prospects of hitting it big.

I'm serious, something like that was the reason. Hard corners mean they have to flatten more area

Musk Sees Tesla’s Future in Diamond-Shaped ‘Gigafactory’ - Bloomberg Business

A WAG on my part, although I do have some experience with Road/Facility design...

It's probably to better accommodate the turning Radii of transport trucks/material handlers as well as increase the visibility around the corners. Hard corners on a building that tall will make it nearly impossible to see what's coming. Depending on the type of vehicles they are using around the factory, the turning radius could be quite large. I've attached an image to better depict the limitations.

There may also be some HVAC considerations. I'm not knowledgeable int hat area, but coaxing air into/out of a corner sounds tricky.

fig42.jpg

Wonder if they are going for world domination or simply collecting enough area for solar and wind farms. If $ amount is right, it was less than $1,000/acre.

Tesla's initial property was almost exclusively flat or relatively flat land. The second purchase is extremely hilly and couldn't practically be built on so it is likely it will be used exclusively for buffer land around the site and for renewable energy generation-primarily wind.

The first property (composed of 9 separate lots) was also given to Tesla for free as part of the deal they made with the state of Nevada. The second larger property, it appears, Tesla had to pay for at a huge discount likely because they weren't intending to build on it. I also suspect the second property was part of the deal from the start, just the deal didn't finalize until recently because early Tesla renders and models as well as their construction pushed into the second property where they are building water tanks and other structures.

Not sure I understand the math that cell level costs are $88/kWh and that leads to pack level costs of $38/kWh. Is it that it's $88/kWh to make the cells and $38/kWh to assemble them into the packs, so the battery cost in the car is $126/kWh? Either of those numbers, or even adding them together, gives an impressive reduction. Can someone explain the vagaries of how the analyst is relating those costs?