Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, $126/kWh seems to be final cells-assembled-into-pack cost estimate.

Another article I saw said the price reduction for battery packs would be about 50%, which would make then about $125/KWh. They currently cost about $250/KWh. So I think that squares with what this article says with the two costs being added together.

A 50% reduction is more than I had heard before. The numbers I had heard up to this point are around 30% reduction. If Tesla is really going to see a 50% reduction soon after production begins, that is very good news. I hope they reduce the cost of the Model S and X accordingly.

A 50% reduction is more than I had heard before. The numbers I had heard up to this point are around 30% reduction. If Tesla is really going to see a 50% reduction soon after production begins, that is very good news. I hope they reduce the cost of the Model S and X accordingly.

What's been said is that they are sure they will get a 30% price reduction (pr. kWh) on the cells from the GF. JB have said that he hopes for - and see it as a possibility - to get up to a 50% price reduction on the cells when the GF is in full production. I'm unsure if they have calculated in a price reduction from new/better chemistry or other development on the batteries from the planing in 2013/14 until full production as planned for 2020.

What's been said is that they are sure they will get a 30% price reduction (pr. kWh) on the cells from the GF. JB have said that he hopes for - and see it as a possibility - to get up to a 50% price reduction on the cells when the GF is in full production. I'm unsure if they have calculated in a price reduction from new/better chemistry or other development on the batteries from the planing in 2013/14 until full production as planned for 2020.

Tesla is very much run by engineers. They wouldn't be speculating on a 30% price reduction unless they had some pretty good ideas of where the savings would be seen. For one thing, they are drastically shortening the logistic trail. Right now the lithium and other materials for batteries is mined who knows where, then transported (most likely by ship) to somewhere in Asia where the batteries are made, then the finished batteries are shipped to the US on a ship. Along the way, they pass through many hands and several ports. The various components are probably made in different places and there is more shipping to get all the pieces together in one place for final assembly.

With the Gigafactory, the raw materials are being sourced in North America where they will likely be put on trains and shipped to Nevada. There everything is processed and manufactured into batteries all in one place. When done, they are put on another train and sent a fairly short distance to Fremont. That is a savings right there that is probably 10-20%. They might have some plans for better battery layouts than what they are currently using. A professor at MIT has come up with a manufacturing process for Li-Ion batteries that reduces the time from 24 hours for making cells to about 10 minutes (the method in widespread use today needs to wait many hours for things to cure before final assembly). I don't know if Tesla has approached him for the rights, or if they reverse engineered it and came up with a similar method that got around the patents. That could be more than 30% savings there.

That's just a couple of cost savings that came to me off the top of my head. I'm sure Tesla has a team working on battery technology and how to make them much faster and easier. Considering how much innovation they have come up with in other areas, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't come up with some new techniques the world doesn't know about. Probably the hottest area in electronics today is research into new batteries. Research is ongoing into both new battery chemistries as well as improved manufacturing techniques for existing chemistries. I suspect Tesla is more focused on the latter, but there have been quite a few academic papers presented on new techniques for Li-Ion batteries and I'm sure the lab at Tesla has been focused on how to manufacture them in bulk in the best way for reliability, longevity, and price.

I noted when the 90KWh battery was unveiled, Elon said it was necessary for the P90DL and it was going to be standard on the Model X, but he didn't think it was worth upgrading 85KWh batteries. Reading between the lines, I think he was hinting that there was going to be some kind of battery breakthrough once the Gigafactory was up and running.

Long term, I expect Tesla will switch to the next battery chemistry that proves itself better than Li-Ion. The big winner will be when someone comes up with a battery technology that recharges well without degradation and has the same energy density as gasoline or better. Right now Li-Ion batteries have about 1/30 the energy density of gasoline. If the Model S had a battery with the energy density of gasoline, it would get around 9000 miles on a charge. There is nothing even close to that kind of energy density today though.

Right now Li-Ion batteries have about 1/30 the energy density of gasoline. If the Model S had a battery with the energy density of gasoline, it would get around 9000 miles on a charge. There is nothing even close to that kind of energy density today though.

Remember that a gasoline car loses 85% of the energy in the tank before it gets to the wheels. EV's at 90% efficient batteries to wheels would need to get to about 5.6 kWh/L to rival ICE energy storage density. Completely unnecessary though - the density is "good enough" today for vehicles with decent aerodynamics. Where increasing density can reduce overall material and labor costs though, it makes sense to follow that optimization path. And of course it'll help open up additional vehicle classes to electrification.

The big winner will be when someone comes up with a battery technology that recharges well without degradation and has the same energy density as gasoline or better. Right now Li-Ion batteries have about 1/30 the energy density of gasoline. If the Model S had a battery with the energy density of gasoline, it would get around 9000 miles on a charge. There is nothing even close to that kind of energy density today though.

No, the big winner will appear long before that. Equaling gasoline is likely not only impossible, it's entirely unnecessary. EV's use 85-90% of the energy in a pack while ICE's use maybe 20-30% of the potential energy in gas or diesel. 400-500 miles of battery range in a 400-500lb package means you can build an EV with no weight penalty over an ICE system. Add in 10-15 minute recharge time for the occasional long distance trip and it's game over for ICE. Any improvements beyond that would just be icing on the cake.

Last edited:
I noted when the 90KWh battery was unveiled, Elon said it was necessary for the P90DL and it was going to be standard on the Model X, but he didn't think it was worth upgrading 85KWh batteries. Reading between the lines, I think he was hinting that there was going to be some kind of battery breakthrough once the Gigafactory was up and running.

No hinting. No need to read between the lines. He stated clearly why he did not recommend an upgrade if you was not on the edge of your needed range right now. He expect the Tesla battery packs to have about 5% increased capacity/year in the coming years. No big "breakthrough".

Last edited by a moderator:
A professor at MIT has come up with a manufacturing process for Li-Ion batteries that reduces the time from 24 hours for making cells to about 10 minutes (the method in widespread use today needs to wait many hours for things to cure before final assembly). I don't know if Tesla has approached him for the rights, or if they reverse engineered it and came up with a similar method that got around the patents. That could be more than 30% savings there.

Said professor admits batteries manufactured under this process are not rugged enough for automotive use.

Sees applications in energy storage.

Process still in prototype phase not ready for prime time.

Said professor admits batteries manufactured under this process are not rugged enough for automotive use.

Sees applications in energy storage.

Process still in prototype phase not ready for prime time.

Yes, I believe the article said he was planning on going into production for non-automotive use and was aiming for static uses. There may be a refinement to the technique that eventually makes the process work for cars. There are so many ideas out there, it's inevitable some will play out and improve automotive batteries. It's hard to predict which one will be the winner though.

An ultra-high concentration battery is not anything that is even in the prototype stage right now. If something did come along, it would make electric aircraft more viable. At least prop planes. In aviation use, the concentration of energy is vitally important. I hadn't done any research on the theoretical limits of energy concentration in batteries. Those are the hard limits unless we come to some new understanding of Physics, which may or may not happen. (I'd put my money on not happening, but the world has been surprised before.)

The first 30% of price reduction has always been discussed by Tesla as simply being material purchase, transport and assembly efficiencies. Chemistry improvements would come on top of that. When Gigafactory starts producing, it will be anyone's guess how much of the cost reduction comes from efficiency vs. chemistry.And when it's in full production again, anyone's guess. I think it's a fair, and fairly achievable target, that in 2020 when the Gigafactory is full production we could/should be seeing about a 50% reduction over 2013 (when the Gigafactory came to life publicly as an idea) due to efficiencies and chemistries.

In the most recent video at about the 2:33 mark... are we seeing bi-directional battery packs being put in place to perhaps capture wind energy from the hillside? or are these just high power-line supports? The two units closest to the roof line as the drone flys by.
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 3.55.33 PM.jpg

I notice the outside walls are up on one half the building, but the other half is still open sided. I've also read they are installing internal fixtures. Maybe the plan is to put 1/2 the building into production before the other half is finished?