Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who remembers Elon saying at the very beginning of the announcement of the Gigafactory that they would have a track around it to give tours!?! I can't wait to drive my Model 3 all the way there to see where my baby was born. ;)

Who remembers Elon saying at the very beginning of the announcement of the Gigafactory that they would have a track around it to give tours!?
I don't remember anything about a "track" but I do recall some statement about Tesla offering Gigafactory tours to the public at some point in the future. No specifics given. I expect public tours to be available in a few years. I will definitely be taking one.

Probably discussed somewhere at some point...
Does anyone know a plan of what GF1 function are now built, and which are yet to be built? It seems they already have a lot done, but in terms of surface it's supposed to just be 1/7th built. So what will need to be completed before, say Model 3 can be produced with 2170 cells? And what can they possibly be building more? Parallel production lines perhaps, at multiples of ideal scale?

Does anyone know a plan of what GF1 function are now built, and which are yet to be built? It seems they already have a lot done, but in terms of surface it's supposed to just be 1/7th built.

As of the tour they're just assembling Power Wall/Packs. Most of the equipment is in place for cell manufacturing but I think they still have some final assembly and commissioning to do.

I know Tesla does tours of the Fremont location but have public tours started for the Gigafactory? I will be out that way next month and would at least like to see the exterior of the Gigafactory. With all the talk of the press breaking and entering I would be afraid to even drive close without permission.

Does anyone know a plan of what GF1 function are now built, and which are yet to be built? It seems they already have a lot done, but in terms of surface it's supposed to just be 1/7th built. So what will need to be completed before, say Model 3 can be produced with 2170 cells? And what can they possibly be building more? Parallel production lines perhaps, at multiples of ideal scale?
Tesla has stated that the current Gigafactory building is 14% of the planned total size of the building. The rest of your questions are asking for details of the factory that Tesla has not commented on.
I know Tesla does tours of the Fremont location but have public tours started for the Gigafactory?
No, and Tesla has not said when public tours of the Gigafactory will start.

Tesla has stated that the current Gigafactory building is 14% of the planned total size of the building. The rest of your questions are asking for details of the factory that Tesla has not commented on.
No, and Tesla has not said when public tours of the Gigafactory will start.
And Elon has said that production will now be at 150GWh per year, but he could simply have been lying to calm doubts about the low fraction constructed.
After the "Grand Opening" tour, given that so much will be hidden, it doesn't seem like something to get very excited about.

Elon has said that production will now be at 150GWh per year, but he could simply have been lying to calm doubts about the low fraction constructed.
What Elon said was that he believes the Gigafactory may be able to produce significantly more than the original plan of 50GWh/year, perhaps up to 150. He did not say unequivocally that when completed the Gigafactory would produce 150.

After the "Grand Opening" tour, given that so much will be hidden, it doesn't seem like something to get very excited about
Completing the first phase of what will be the largest building in the world by floor area, starting Powerwall/Powerpack production, and getting close to vehicle cell production with a partner like Panasonic who will be investing well over $2 billion in the Gigafactory is something to be pretty excited about, in my opinion.

The recent factory tours at the Gigafactory event did not show the upper floors where the cell manufacturing equipment is being installed because Panasonic does not want the public to see that equipment up close. Some of the first floor cell manufacturing equipment was covered for that reason.

Reactions: Jeff N
Probably discussed somewhere at some point...
They are building out the GF in stages. They showed people aspects of the cathode manufacturing areas but not all of the equipment had been installed yet. For example, in the cathode oven area they have installed one oven but said they planned to install a second parallel oven in the same large room. Who knows at what stage the equipment is installed in the anode and final cylinder stuffing areas that they didn't show us. What we saw was just the first battery line. They have said they expect to make battery cells with that line for pre-production development packs in roughly 5-6 months from now. There will be other cell lines that will follow as additional buildings come online.

Presumably they could start making the Model 3 with cells from only this initial manufacturing line in the fall of 2017 and still make tens of thousands of cars a year initially. They could and likely will ramp up assembly in Fremont and bring up new battery making lines in Sparks together over a couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloxxki
They are building out the GF in stages. They showed people aspects of the cathode manufacturing areas but not all of the equipment had been installed yet. For example, in the cathode oven area they have installed one oven but said they planned to install a second parallel oven in the same large room. Who knows at what stage the equipment is installed in the anode and final cylinder stuffing areas that they didn't show us. What we saw was just the first battery line. They have said they expect to make battery cells with that line for pre-production development packs in roughly 5-6 months from now. There will be other cell lines that will follow as additional buildings come online.

Presumably they could start making the Model 3 with cells from only this initial manufacturing line in the fall of 2017 and still make tens of thousands of cars a year initially. They could and likely will ramp up assembly in Fremont and bring up new battery making lines in Sparks together over a couple of years.
Thanks!
For the time being though, 2170's will be sourced from GF1 only? In parallel productions, that's interesting. Seems they reached optimum scale and had to copy-paste?

Thanks!
For the time being though, 2170's will be sourced from GF1 only? In parallel productions, that's interesting. Seems they reached optimum scale and had to copy-paste?
As far as I know, all 21700 (or 21-70, as Tesla refers to them) production cells will come from the GF. I would not be surprised if Panasonic has made small batches of 21700 cells on a test production line in Japan and given them to Tesla for evaluation and early development but I don't know that as a fact.

I was told that the first battery production line that we were shown was based on the original Panasonic factory layout plans but the next wave of GF buildings are being built using a new jointly redesigned Tesla-Panasonic layout that will be at least double the manufacturing space efficiency and that equipment Is targeted towards making 21700 automotive cells as well.