Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is not the rate Tesla quoted for California.

ok, I looked it up again and there is a declaration form that you can sign that says you will not be primarily using the vehicle inside the county and so you can avoid the extra county taxes. That would make it the base CA tax rate of 7.5%...which is still much greater than the $1000 the previous poster was hoping the tax bill will amount to.

After paying tax in California would you have to also pay when you register in Illinois? I would love to pick up my M3 at Fremont and drive it back to Tennessee. If it was under $1000 I would concider it.

There are federal laws against paying sales tax more than once on the same purchase. When I moved to Washington and registered my car, they wanted proof of how much sales tax I paid in CA when I bought the car and they subtracted that from the sales tax amount in Washington. At the time Washington had a higher sales tax rate, so they could charge the difference, but once they took into account depreciation, I didn't end up paying any WA sales tax.

If your state's sales tax rate is lower than CAs, you won't get a rebate, but you shouldn't have to pay more. If it's higher, your state might require you to pay the difference, but I don't think many states are higher than CA at this point.

The laws may also have changed a bit. My experience with this was in the late 80s.

• Informative
Reactions: MassModel3
I ended up renting a Tesla Model S while I was out west. 1st I will get this over with ( I miss that Tesla :( ) 2nd I tried to get a peak of the Gigafactory. Unfortunately there was signs that said for deliveries and employees only so I stayed away. I would love the opportunity to see both the Fremont and the Sparks factories. Hope I get to when I get the Model 3. Although after driving a Model S for over 2000 miles I am kind of hoping I can get a good deal on a used 2013 Model S in the next couple of years.

Hope I get to when I get the Model 3. Although after driving a Model S for over 2000 miles I am kind of hoping I can get a good deal on a used 2013 Model S in the next couple of years.

Funny that you say that.

The end-goal for my wife and me was to each have a Model 3, but 2 years (and 3 days) ago we bought a used 2013 Model S to hold us over. By today's standards she's a dinosaur (no tech, no autopilot), but she's still the most amazing car we've ever driven. We'll have to make the decision next year to keep the relatively low tech S, or trade her for the most technologically advanced mid-size car ever built (behind only the S and the X, of course).

Tough call...

Last edited:
TeslaGigaFactory15Sept2016s.jpg

Took this picture today in the afternoon from 40,000'

No solar panels on the roof ... Yet
I would expect a delay toward installing a massive solar roof. 1) build the roof structure first. 2) finish the solar roof factory in Buffalo to get the latest/greatest in design. 3) Perhaps buy that company so you get an insiders pricing.

As I look at the long-range plans, that roof is covered in panels. And the newest thought is the the roof IS the panels. Well, perhaps not the building under the panels, but the weather facing layer.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I don't think Tesla plans to disconnect from the grid, at least not for a while. The claim has always been that the GF will produce more power than it uses, but they've been careful to not say they will be energy independent, meaning they'll put at least some of their excess back into the grid. Down the road when the GF is at full production, perhaps they'll keep some of the batteries for themselves, although it will probably be more financially advantageous to sell those batteries to a customer than using them to cut their own electrical costs.

Well Tesla plans on using Solar panels, a wind farm, and geothermal energy to power the GF when it's complete. Whether or when such replenishable energy supplies will be used prior to full completion hes not been disclosed. So yes, they do plan to be self sufficient, but that doesn't mean they'll detach from the grid, either. Certainly they'll want the grid available as a supplier of last resort, and whether excess power will be sold back to the Nevada power companies is something I don't recall ever having been mentioned, either.

Ok, so you guys remember about a month ago there was this announcement about Samsung transforming and expanding a display factory in Göd, Hungary and planning to produce batteries for up to 50k EVs per year, starting in 2018? So I happened to drive by that area this afternoon and thought I'd snap a few pictures from the main road - just for comparison on the competition.

To the left (2nd and 3rd pictures) you can see the construction area. Bottom line: while I am glad something like this is being built in my country, the whole thing can probably fit in the GF1 parking lot.
WP_20160925_15_34_46_Rich.jpg

WP_20160925_15_35_07_Rich.jpg

WP_20160925_15_35_18_Rich.jpg