Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought, rational or not :wink:: I will bet they do have a nice set up for time lapse photography but are unwilling to share it as the media will have a field day if one pix shows lots of workers one day and then not the next. Also, TM is similar to Apple: They like controllong the narative..secrecy is important.
Maybe so but they don't control the narrative by releasing zero information. That just adds to the random speculation that they have to quash later on (union notice boards, average wave estimates).

Because there will be issues, and Tesla doesn't want to explain or justify them. Tesla wants to build the GF, not convince bears it is up to their standards. Being completely transparent would require more channels of communication within Tesla, and slow things down.
I agree. Every construction project has day to day issues and it would take a lot of time and effort to explain and respond to every real or perceived perturbation in the schedule. If there were major problems that impacted the long term schedule, they might comment but other than that it's best for TM to just keep their heads down and focused on the project. The financial press and all of us here spend way too much time perseverating and we are just a distraction from getting the job done. (That's not to say our curiosity will stop but I don't think TM owes us anything other than just getting the factory built.)

Andrew M. Doughman on Twitter:
notice that this pic shows a little roofing is needed still but the structure of the first phase is done.

The overhead like that really shows the amount of space cleared vs the amount of space built on. This looks like it is a back center module from this angle and the rest of the building will be built forward and around it.

For those who aren't sure when looking at that tweeted aerial photo where the Gigafactory is, it is in the lower left corner of the image, I believe.

First time I have seen a view that so clearly shows just how large the cleared land area is vs. the relatively small size of the completed structure to date. The completed building size will be staggering.

Last edited:
Cory Johnson is such a TOOL! "So after 5 years the Tesla will need a whole new battery" :rolleyes:

What a dufus. He goes on to say "... While a Mercedes won't have to change its engine". The other guy, obviously smart, looks at him like you look at a child and says "but it might need a new transmission and a lot if other things..."

Yup, and he tries to suggest that Tesla's battery chemistry will be a limitation, and the other guy nicely cuts him down by stating that not only will Tesla be able to adjust to newer chemistry fairly easily, it will likely be cheaper to produce.

I think it being a product means that it's for sale. In that case a large utility or company like Foxconn would buy a Gigafactory,
while Tesla handles construction management, raw material supply contracts and battery technology development.

I hate posts that just say "I agree", but I agree. This is exactly how I see it. To get to 2 billion industrial battery packs, we'll need a lot more Gigafactories than even Tesla will be able to afford. The best way to get there (and the destination is Elon's priority) is to get other people into the business too.

I took the "gigafactory as a product" to mean they were going to apply the hardcore engineering and innovation that is present in their other products to the factory. They aren't just building a factory, the same way the Model S wasn't just building a car -- it was a ground up rethinking/reengineering of the car to take advantage of the potential of electric drive in a whole system kind of way. The factory will be innovative in the same respect. They will be building the machines that build the machines as Elon has said, and be able to take advantage of their scale and of the specific demands of making a battery for a single purpose. Then they will iterate new versions at a rapid pace. The gigafactory will be a Tesla product because those are the characteristics of Tesla's products. It will show others it can be done, and accelerate transition to renewable energy by hopefully lighting a fire under other companies to follow along, just like the Model S.

Last edited: