Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Habits ---- argh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two of those moments the other day with a rental ICE. It was probably compounded by the rental having the kind of fob you can keep in your pocket, but I managed to both forget to lock the car when going sightseeing for hours, and to forget to turn off the car while stopping to get gas. Fortunately no harm came of either, and I'll be happy to back in my S in a couple of days.

Reactions: SSD420
I had to rent a car traveling this weekend, and had these problems:
  • Forgetting to turn the car off
  • Remembering to turn the car off, but forgetting to put it in park first
  • Remembering to put the car in park and turn it off, but then having my wife ask me if I'm going to lock the doors as I'm walking away from the car
  • Expecting the doors to unlock as I'm walking up to it
  • Having to manually adjust the cruise control to match speed with the car in front of me
  • Having to keep my foot on the brake at stop lights
  • Having to actually use the brake to slow down
  • Trying to make out what was behind me using the 4-inch screen on the backup camera
  • And finally, having to fill it with gas at the end of the weekend (haven't been to a gas station since March)
It is hard to believe that a car can change your driving habits that much over only four months!

• Remembering to put the car in park and turn it off, but then having my wife ask me if I'm going to lock the doors as I'm walking away from the car
  • Having to manually adjust the cruise control to match speed with the car in front of me
  • Trying to make out what was behind me using the 4-inch screen on the backup camera
  • And finally, having to fill it with gas at the end of the weekend (haven't been to a gas station since March)
It is hard to believe that a car can change your driving habits that much over only four months!
Completly understand... I have told rent every week while traveling. Isn't it amazing when you get back to your MS/X?

Reactions: SSD420
Press the brake harder than you normally do, an H in a circle shows up, let go of the brake, and the car sits there and you can do whatever you want with your legs. Doesn't have to be on a hill.
OMG thank you for this! I can definitely see myself rolling into another car if I'm driving something other than my Tesla.

Does the Model S and Roadster have Hill hold too?

Oh damn. I just read your list and I just know that I'm going to hit someone while using cruise control. I use AP 90% of the time when on the highway and 30% on city and rural streets.

I still go to gas stations to buy cigarettes or a bottle of water. It's kind of embarrassing when I'm there.

Reactions: javawolfpack
I can certainly relate to all of the above but the single most annoying ICE trait for me is the momentary lag when pulling away from a stop light. I occasionally drive my daugter's VW Jetta and when the light turns green, I depress the accelerator and the car just sits there for a split second before revving up and moving. I know it's a small thing but multiplied over a dozen stops lights it really gets to me.

Reactions: SSD420 and GoTslaGo
I can certainly relate to all of the above but the single most annoying ICE trait for me is the momentary lag when pulling away from a stop light. I occasionally drive my daugter's VW Jetta and when the light turns green, I depress the accelerator and the car just sits there for a split second before revving up and moving. I know it's a small thing but multiplied over a dozen stops lights it really gets to me.

Also as you slow down into a turn, as you try to accelerate out, the ICE (with auto trans) can't decide what gear to go into and you just wallow your way out of the turn. Even more fun when you are trying to get a jump on traffic...:mad:

Reactions: rhumbliner
Hill hold does rock, but it is a bit unnerving.

I use it time to time so there isn't a delay from moving my foot to the go pedal.

I do the same, although I try to gingerly get the Hill hold to release before really giving it any go (or just enough to hold position if I'm headed uphill).

The other day I specifically *didn't* use hill hold though. I noticed the girl in the car behind me was using the stopped traffic to screw around on her phone, looking down and only looking/creeping forward up when she saw movement in her periphery. Since we were headed slightly up a hill, I stayed on the accelerator but was letting it drift in and out of forward movement (anyone who has a manual will know the clutch parallel to this). She kept glancing back and forth, annoyed that there was constant movement but that it wasn't traffic moving. After about 30 seconds she put her phone down for good.

I try not to do jerk things on the road (if I can improve the flow of traffic immediately around me, I will) but sometimes it's hard to resist. Hashtag Passive Aggressive Street Vigilante :p

• Funny
Reactions: Denarius and Max*
Hill hold?
Press the brake harder than you normally do, an H in a circle shows up, let go of the brake, and the car sits there and you can do whatever you want with your legs. Doesn't have to be on a hill.

At some point, the Hill Hold feature got renamed to Vehicle Hold, because you don't have to be on a hill (although it's very useful on a hill, so you don't roll backwards when taking your foot off the brake pedal.) It's essentially like applying a parking brake, where pressing the brake again, or pressing the accelerator, releases it automatically.

I still go to gas stations to buy cigarettes or a bottle of water. It's kind of embarrassing when I'm there.

I go to the gas station in my S, pull up next to pump. Open the frunk, remove a 5 gallon gas can (for my ICE lawn mower), fill it with gas and place it back in the frunk, close the lid, and leave. Folks around just kind of stare blindly.

Kept my ICE as an extra car and was driving it today, definitely noticed a few things
- When coasting I find myself edging the accelerator so the "brake lights don't come on"
- I tried to put the car into hill hold by subtly putting extra brake pressure before I realized that wouldn't work
- I couldn't find my speed on the dash because I was looking in the center (where it shows estimated range) instead of at the actual speedometer
- when I needed to park, I reached for the windshield wiper stalk instead of the shift knob
- At the gas station I opened the trunk twice instead of pulling the gas tank lever. It's my car.. I should know which is which