Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla helvetia extended warranty UK specific

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, apologies if this is covered, I did search but seemed to find non-UK threads but my 4 year standard warranty runs out soon and want to ask if anyone has claimed on helvetia extended warranty, if there is excess for each claim and if anyone’s has digested the vast list of what is NOT covered and hence is it worth purchasing for peace of mind?

Unfortunately Cleevely EV is too far for me so no an option so need to decide if I purchase this or keep the £3,180 to pay towards whatever is actually covered over the next 4 years??

Model S 75D Dec 2017

thanks all

Indeed, it doesn’t include lights which are £1,400 each when needed but wondering if anyone has actually used them. I know bills can soon rack up for those that do have some issues, some don’t have any and I haven’t had many but can imagine they would have costed more than £3,180 if they are covered but the problem is what is covered, what isn’t and do we end up having to do the non existent yearly servicing to ensure warranty is valid

I suspect helvitia are having your eyes out as they are taking minimum risk on a four year old modern car. Within the next two years we will see many garages becoming more knowledgeable with Tesla vehicles as they all are acutely aware of where the vehicle repair business is migrating to in the future few years. I suspect secondary suppliers are already in the design/pre production stage for out of warranty generic parts. Think what's to go wrong and what is covered by Tesla for up to eight years (Battery and drive train). Five years (seat belts and air bags) The majority of other components (bearings/struts/paint work/brakes/disks/pads/general bodywork/12v battery/lights/indicators can be repaired/fitted by just about any other maintenance garage and you still have £3,180 float if something goes wrong and £3,180 in your pocket if nothing goes wrong. Then we come to the servicing/vehicle checks and what warranty stipulations are attached to that fairly costly ongoing provision?

Reactions: btc1k and Penfold
I have. Bought 2 years/25k miles for £1750 in October 2021 (Thought I'd have my new X plaid by the end of the warranty!)

More than covered the cost of purchase so that worked out well.

3 times have had to take the car in - to Tesla service - paid directly by Helvetia - nothing for me to do

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob and Durzel
I have. Bought 2 years/25k miles for £1750 in October 2021 (Thought I'd have my new X plaid by the end of the warranty!)

3 times have had to take the car in - to Tesla service - paid directly by Helvetia - nothing for me to do
Thanks for that. So no quibbling on the claims then?

Hi, did you buy your Tesla new or used? If it was used, was it from Tesla? we are currently looking to buy a 2020 Tesla model X (so 3.5 years old now) and will need to buy the 4 year/50,000 miles extended warranty by Helvetia. But they have this very strange eligibility clause (pasted below) in their frequently asked questions page for the extended warranty.

Can anyone purchase Extended Warranty Insurance?

Model S, 3, X and Y owners whose Tesla was delivered less than 4 years ago and has less than 80,000 km on the odometer, can buy Extended Warranty Insurance. Owners who purchased a used vehicle directly from Tesla are not eligible to purchase Extended Warranty Insurance.

Surely Helvetia would rather insure a used car that has been checked over, inspected, approved, and sold by Tesla as opposed to a used car bought through a third party. We tried to contact Helvetia to clarify but they have not replied. Do you have their contact number please.

Also, we also asked them if the used car that we purchased is 3.5 years old, would we be able to purchase a 4 year extended warranty but have it start only the day before the original Tesla warranty expires (so a day before 4 years and less than 50,000 miles).

They haven’t replied to both questions. Would you know the answers please? Thank you for your help.

I have trawled through the documentation from the policy we took on our Model 3 but do not find any phone number for Helvetia. The email (which I presume you have) is: [email protected]

The T&C document provides that the "Effective Date" of the policy "Means the date that Your New Vehicle Basic Limited Warranty expires." My understanding is there is no overlap and the policy becomes effective when the original warranty expires.

Hi Kenneth thanks for the reply. We are looking to buy an 3 year old used Model X and so just wanted to see if anyone has bought a used Tesla from a third party recently and managed to buy the Extended Warranty Insurance offered by Helvetia

Anyone with real world experience of this or any other UK extended warranty? In particular anyone made a claim?

With uncertainty of 2nd hand prices, we have decided to stick with Model 3 for a few more years so looking at options, even if it’s no option.

Reactions: M3noob
Hi All. Helvetia just replied. They were very helpful and replied quickly.

The Tesla Extended Warranty can be purchased online any time before the 48 months and 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) Tesla Factory New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) expires, there is no restriction on second or subsequent owners to purchase a policy.

Please note that Tesla models sold as Certified Pre Owned (CPO) used vehicles are not eligible to purchase a policy, if you are unsure of your VIN eligibility, please contact Tesla Europe.

If you intend on keeping the vehicle more than 24 months and or 25,000 miles (40,000 kms), the 48 month and or 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) policy should be purchased before the Tesla NVLW expires, there is no option currently to purchase an additional policy at a later date.

The policy commences at 48 months and or 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) whichever occurs first and premiums offered can be viewed by clicking on the link below, there are no instalments, offers, promotions or renewals currently available or scheduled.

Extended Warranty Insurance

Please note this is an All Risks Coverage, with all Exclusions listed in Article 10, there is no courtesy car or roadside assistance offered and can currently be purchased with Mastercard or VISA.

All claims under this policy are validated by Tesla Europe, via the service booking option in the Tesla app.

Hi All. Helvetia just replied. They were very helpful and replied quickly.

The Tesla Extended Warranty can be purchased online any time before the 48 months and 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) Tesla Factory New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) expires, there is no restriction on second or subsequent owners to purchase a policy.

Please note that Tesla models sold as Certified Pre Owned (CPO) used vehicles are not eligible to purchase a policy, if you are unsure of your VIN eligibility, please contact Tesla Europe.

If you intend on keeping the vehicle more than 24 months and or 25,000 miles (40,000 kms), the 48 month and or 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) policy should be purchased before the Tesla NVLW expires, there is no option currently to purchase an additional policy at a later date.

The policy commences at 48 months and or 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) whichever occurs first and premiums offered can be viewed by clicking on the link below, there are no instalments, offers, promotions or renewals currently available or scheduled.

Extended Warranty Insurance

Please note this is an All Risks Coverage, with all Exclusions listed in Article 10, there is no courtesy car or roadside assistance offered and can currently be purchased with Mastercard or VISA.

All claims under this policy are validated by Tesla Europe, via the service booking option in the Tesla app.
So im confused, apologies for my ignorance, can you still purchase the warranty if your extended basic warranty is about to run out and you have purchased a used vehicle directly from Tesla?

So im confused, apologies for my ignorance, can you still purchase the warranty if your extended basic warranty is about to run out and you have purchased a used vehicle directly from Tesla?

Looks like it, but its not really worth anything, big ticket items like suspension, lights, aircon are excluded, as is any 'wear and tear'. Plus no courtesy car cover or road side recovery.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel