Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in a condo ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: My charger is in place and working now. Mine is an Evercharge installation, in order to be ready for other EV charging in individual owners spaces. Mine is the first installed Evercharge unit to have a Tesla connector. If anybody wants to know more just ask. From beginning to end this took four months, but nearly a month was waiting for Tesla to approve Evercharge for the Tesla connector and supply teh connectors, then have them integrated with the Evercharge distribution system.

A few notes:
1. Although everyone was cooperative the process is bureaucratic;
2. My city, Coral Gables, FL is famously slow with permitting. This permit was issued in one day and inspected and approved the same day installation happened. There is no formal EV policy in the city, but they really went out of their way to make it easy.

Now that precedent has been set the expectation in my building is that new spaces will be installed in a week or two with modest cost, probably $2000 total including the Evercharge distribution panel.

For anybody else wanting to do this I strongly recommend EV rides. They seem to be quite effective sales tools.

Is there a reason why there aren't any Tesla Superchargers in/near Miami? It's one of the most populated places in the state, and probably in the country, and also has a lot of people living in condos.

Tesla is aware of the need for Superchargers in the Miami area. A Miami Supercharger Station is on the drawing boards for 2016. Tesla has been attempting to pursue a Supercharger Station in Plantation (30 miles from Miami) since October, 2014. Unfortunately there has been some apparently unforeseen obstacles.

Larry

Update to post #17. That post was a trifle premature. I had two successful initial charging sessions but since then the unit has not worked properly. There are unknown problems and EverCharge so far has had several different parties to blame. The net is that I do not have charging. I am now looking at my alternatives. I will post whatever happens next.

Condominium perils sometimes do not stop when the initial installation happens.

Curious, why did they not just give you a J1772 connector since you can use that? Seems like a lot of extra trouble to be changing connectors as tenants move in and out.
The connection is to my own deeded space. Each space can have it's own, while sharing common electrical infrastructure. They designed the system to accomodate mUD's with limited beaker capacity, permitting billing each space for it's own consumption. Obviously, I'd have preferred my own independent connection.

Curious, why did they not just give you a J1772 connector since you can use that? Seems like a lot of extra trouble to be changing connectors as tenants move in and out.

The connection is to my own deeded space. Each space can have it's own, while sharing common electrical infrastructure. They designed the system to accomodate mUD's with limited beaker capacity, permitting billing each space for it's own consumption. Obviously, I'd have preferred my own independent connection.

In addition, having a Tesla connector permits locking the cable to the car.

If you use a J1772 connector, the J1772 adpater is locked to the car, but others can disconnect the cable from the adapter.

Larry

In addition, having a Tesla connector permits locking the cable to the car.

If you use a J1772 connector, the J1772 adapter is locked to the car, but others can disconnect the cable from the adapter.

Larry
Indeed, that is the primary reason why I wanted the Tesla connector. BTW, in the latest iteration of my saga, it seems I will have a dedicated connection later this week. If so, at long last I will have precisely what I wanted. As FPL says, an individual beaker does permit easy use of a cheap but reliable meter, which then can accomodate HOA fee collection for each user. Of course many HOA's have no desire at all to get into individual use-based billing or collection. In any event for non-deeded parking some form of shared use seems to be the least difficult choice, albeit never the most cost effective.

I would appreciate copies of HOA rules that condo owners may have. I've been fighting my condo for 3 years and want to lobby at the State (CA) & Federal level for EV friendly EV condo charging rules. Send me a private message if you would like to share your rules. Thanks.

I have an unusual situation. I bought my condo from the developer (no resident HOA owners in control yet) who was the President of the "HOA." As part of my sales agreement, the developer installed a 240V 14/50 NEMA outlet in my exclusive use parking spot. Unfortunately this outlet is on the common building meter. The dispute is about how much to pay and weather a meter needs to be installed. CA state law is helpful but not specific enough...eg: you would have to go to court to define "reasonable cost" and effect of new laws on existing "pre-approved" installations. My last proposal is under consideration but I don't expect a resolution this go around either. We need protections for condo EV owners that insure HOA's can not tack on fees and costs over actual cost to owners. Now, under CA law, the HOA can require EV owners to provide a 1 million dollar liability insurance for charging stations. This has to go---1M$ more risk than an ICE car in a parking garage???? My condo rule states that a "lease agreement" has to recorded at my county clerk's office (at my expense) to use my own outlet. These are unnecessary barriers to EV ownership that will discourage rather encourage going electric. I've meet with several state representatives but it is a very slow process.

Last edited:
I totally understand the frustration of having a Tesla in a condo environment. I ordered my P85D without pre-Board approval of an electrical outlet in my deeded space. For a month, I was running around to various charging stations.

The electrician recommended by Tesla was able to run a connection to my meter in the electrical room and put in a fused 240/50 line to my deeded garage space. I consider myself lucky that the meter was less than 100 feet from my space. Total cost around $800.00.

The alternative was a meter on the line. The Board is progressive and was very supportive.

At my other condo, I was able to put an outlet by the carport for charging, this is a villa so I was able to run the line from the main panel.

Hopefully condo laws will be revised to make the process easier.

Rich

@Richg - just a electrician come in and i did not have enough power to have it connect to my line. How did you manage to circumvent that? He had a look and said I did not have enough power.
Any reason why you went that route instead of separate meter-- other than the cost?

@Richg - just a electrician come in and i did not have enough power to have it connect to my line. How did you manage to circumvent that? He had a look and said I did not have enough power.
Any reason why you went that route instead of separate meter-- other than the cost?
Depending on the power utility policies, condominium rules, HOA attitude and local ordinances separate metering may not be possible. In South Florida, for example, Florida Power and Light will not install multiple meters for the same residential customer in a condominium, so they recommend going the Home Depot/Lowe's cheap UL-listed meter if the HOA will accept that.

If for some reason, typically legal requirement for supplemental umbrella insurance, a third party is required there are both ChargePoint and EverCharge as alternatives. Those are expensive to install and have monthly service fees in addition. I have EverCharge in my condominium. The third parties are not ideal, but do provide a workable solution.

If you live near a super charger do it. Use the SC while working things out with your community. Just be ever aware of the travelers coming threw who need the boost to keep going, give them priority. And definable don't plug in and leave it there for any time past your charge comple

I totally understand the frustration of having a Tesla in a condo environment. I ordered my P85D without pre-Board approval of an electrical outlet in my deeded space. For a month, I was running around to various charging stations.

The electrician recommended by Tesla was able to run a connection to my meter in the electrical room and put in a fused 240/50 line to my deeded garage space. I consider myself lucky that the meter was less than 100 feet from my space. Total cost around $800.00.

The alternative was a meter on the line. The Board is progressive and was very supportive.

At my other condo, I was able to put an outlet by the carport for charging, this is a villa so I was able to run the line from the main panel.

Hopefully condo laws will be revised to make the process easier.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Since you are a Sarasota resident I would like to remind you that at our National Drive Electric event on September 12th at Mote Marine in Sarasota there will be a panel discussion at 1:00 pm on the Condo Charging issues that may interest you. Patrick Gannon, the president of the Downtown Condominium Association, is an EV driver and is spearheading this important educational event. If you haven't already registered, I encourage you to do so. We would welcome your input.

Regarding revising condo laws, our club has a condo committee to address these issues. I and JC (jbcarioca), Gary (auger) and other club members have been researching this issue. In addition, our club is a voting member of Drive Electric Florida (DEF) and I am our club’s voting representative. Drive Electric Florida is a multi-stakeholder coalition consisting of utilities, electric vehicle manufacturers, Department of Energy Clean Cities Coalitions, environmental groups, local governments, EV owners groups and EV industry experts. Its mission is to support and accelerate the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles in Florida by engaging and educating the public, businesses, and policy-makers; facilitating collaboration; and supporting EV-friendly policy and programs.

I serve on a number of DEF's committees. One of them is the Incentives & Policy Committee. Members of this committee will be initiating outreach efforts to state legislators to educate them regarding electric vehicle related issues and to seek their support to sponsor EV friendly legislation. We will be pursuing establishment of an electric vehicle tax incentive, incentives for charging infrastructure and regulatory reforms including Multi-Unit Dwelling (MUD) issues. I am also the chairman of an EV Ownership committee to address MUD issues, Electric Charging parking enforcement and other ownership issues.

DEF is organizing a National Drive Electric day in Tallahassee on Thursday, September 17th to provide us with an excellent opportunity to interface with our state legislators. We have received permission to use the Capitol Courtyard and Rotunda for our event. There we will have a grass-roots presence of EV owners displaying electric vehicles, and DEF leadership will meet with legislators and their staff.

Larry

Last edited:
Update to post #17. That post was a trifle premature. I had two successful initial charging sessions but since then the unit has not worked properly. There are unknown problems and EverCharge so far has had several different parties to blame. The net is that I do not have charging. I am now looking at my alternatives. I will post whatever happens next.

Condominium perils sometimes do not stop when the initial installation happens.

I am working on getting an evercharge installation going at my condo. How has your experience been since this debacle?

Thanks!

I am working on getting an evercharge installation going at my condo. How has your experience been since this debacle?

Thanks!
For the last several month s EverCharge has operated as designed without incident. I have now put them on autopsy and nothing has give wrong. It is possible that most of my issues were because I may hav e been a beta test for them in my area. I caution about their charges, which absolutely demand prior clarification. Apart from that it is working as designed. Keep in mind thAt you wil probably get 208/30 which itself may be shared, but for me that is not a problem.

Hi,

I am really thinking of getting a Tesla for the end of the year but I live in a condo and there are nothing in place to charge the car nor at my office.

Are there any of you that live in a condo and have a Tesla ?

I know some people had installed a 240V at their parking space but I wanted to get some feedback from some other people.

Thanks!

Having a little trouble posting (new) with my android. I will likely go to mediation with my condo board and I hope to establish some good arbitration case law. I've had an EVSE for a year and a half, and I'm not even allowed to plug into a 120v outlet with a kilowatt/hour meter to reimburse the association.