Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in CT round 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The president of the auto dealers association said allowing direct sales would open up CT to a flood of vehicles from China and India. What kind of crap is that?
Unlike the products sold in Walmart and many other stores in the state? Why should the auto dealers have special protection from imports from those countries if people want to buy them? Let the market decide.

Reactions: chjch
This article highlights just how ridiculous the Tesla sales ban in CT has become.
Dan Haar: Barring Tesla stores in Connecticut hurts the state
I've got a couple of relatives who've signed the petition above. One is a Democratic official in Durham, also a friend of Ted Kennedy Jr. who couldn't persuade him from voting "Nay" on last year's amendment. Just a sign of how big money drives CARA's ability to influence state politicians. Another uphill battle in 2018, but keep at it CT.

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
As more people get their Model 3's I think it will just be a matter of time before Tesla will be allowed to sell in the state. Just wish it was sooner rather than later.
Not sure why you think that. If anything, the sucesss of the Model 3 will show the auto dealers that Tesla is serious competition for them and they’ll fight harder (meaning pay the politicians more) to protect their cartel.

Reactions: SureValla
I think Tesla has already won the larger battle in the Northeast by allowing direct sales in NY and MA. It's only a very minor inconvenience for southern CT professionals to pick up in Mt. Kisco and not too bad for other parts of CT, although Tesla could certainly add another location in central Mass.

The biggest inhibitor for more sales in CT is the lack of awareness (and obviously price tag for model S/X). Most people don't know too much about electric cars in general in CT, very few know about autopilot or charging. But once the more affordable Model 3 is seen on the streets and shown off by friends, I can see more vocal efforts to get politicians to change their minds.

The biggest inhibitor for more sales in CT is the lack of awareness (and obviously price tag for model S/X). Most people don't know too much about electric cars in general in CT, very few know about autopilot or charging. But once the more affordable Model 3 is seen on the streets and shown off by friends, I can see more vocal efforts to get politicians to change their minds.
Thats exactly why I think eventually direct sales will happen.

Anyone have the 2018 bill #?
Not proposed yet

If anyone wants to submit public testimony send, in WORD or PDF format, an email in favor of the bill to [email protected]. Testimony should clearly state testifier name and related bills. H.B. No. 5310 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE LICENSING OF NEW AND USED CAR DEALERS.

Alternatively you can go in person on Monday 3/5 to the legislature at 10:30 AM.

Note your testimony will be linked to the bill page
Connecticut General Assembly

the bill passed the transportation committee 25-11

Transportation Committee - Vote Tally Sheet

Here's a link to a recent article from The New London Day.
Tesla, dealers remain at odds as lawmakers urge compromise
The Transportation Committee would like Tesla and CARA to reach a compromise. Otherwise there's probably no shot of getting a bill passed again this year. Unfortunately a couple of sources have told me that such a discussion is not likely happen. Tesla is more than willing to talk and would offer concessions. CARA probably has enough legislators in their pocket where they don't see any incentive to sit down and deal. Hope I'm wrong, but CARA is likely just waiting again to simply run out the clock.