Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Pasadena Accident: Driver Fled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner of the Tesla is a friend of mine. The car was stolen from in front of his house about an hour before the crash. The thief totaled the Tesla and three other cars as well as killing a motorcycle driver. The car was going 100 mph at the time of the accident. The thief jumped out of the car and ran and is still on the loose. Very sad.
How did the thief steal it?

I've accidentally left my key in the car several times, which would be a likely scenario.
I did this for the first time this past weekend. I had been wearing a jacket because it was chilly in the morning, but eventually took it off & laid it across the back seat. I had put my key fob in a jacket pocket rather than a pants pocket. I discovered this when I came back from the grocery store & the handles didn't present as I walked up. I then reached for my fob in my pocket & it wasn't there. I've now learned to try to be more careful when walking away from my car to make sure the fob is with me.

Sometimes when I go into a store I hand my fob to my wife who wants to stay in the car. She puts it in the tray and when I come back out I just forget about it because the car drives just like it does when the fob is in my pocket.

Generally the next day when I get ready to use the car I cannot find the fob and sure enough, it's in the tray. But in my case my car is safely locked in my garage, and not parked in the open.

They do that every time they park? That doesn't prevent it from being driven if the fob is left inside, though. I think @timk225 is suggesting additional validation of entering a PIN on the touchscreen before the car will drive even when the fob is present.

I just recall some people had posted that they do that. All it does is limit the power on the car (max speed I think is around 80, with slow acceleration... so not so fun to drive). Different from @timk225's idea, but what is available now.

I used to (unintentionally) leave a fob in the car frequently when I first got the car. I had one fob on my keyring (always in my pocket), and my wife had the other fob on her keyring (always in her purse). We would go out together in the Tesla, and she would leave her purse in the trunk out of view when we got out of the car at our destination. Then I had that "hey... wait a minute" moment a month or so into ownership. My wife no longer has the Tesla fob on her keyring :eek:

I did this for the first time this past weekend. I had been wearing a jacket because it was chilly in the morning, but eventually took it off & laid it across the back seat. I had put my key fob in a jacket pocket rather than a pants pocket. I discovered this when I came back from the grocery store & the handles didn't present as I walked up. I then reached for my fob in my pocket & it wasn't there. I've now learned to try to be more careful when walking away from my car to make sure the fob is with me.

This is why I always put my keys in my pants pocket. I'm fairly conservative (at least in these sorts of things) and *highly* unlikely to get out of the car without my pants.