Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Increases Prices for Existing 2008 Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it is too late to fix this. Perhaps Tesla Motors could reconsider and backup a bit. It is never too late to say, "oops, sorry we weren't thinking this through logically because of the rush going on at the Detroit Auto Show. Here is the fix."

I certainly wish this would be the case, but I have very little hope of it short of TM being forced into it by legal action. I have followed every public detail of this company since the beginning. I have heard Elon speak a number of times. I can not recall ever hearing or reading of Elon admitting that he made a mistake. The blame has always been placed on someone else. This action was initiated by Elon in the form of two emails from him. It would be very hard for him to not accept responsibility for this fiasco

Discussion about cars often show that the manufactures gamble at losses for the first (and more) year's model to get the ball rolling. The million selling Prius comes to mind.

If this business practice is as common as we have heard then Elon's insistence that he must show profitability on his first year's model is false. Especially if he can show that the cars are now making a profit.

A couple more articles:

Tesla Snubs Customers for A Couple Million Dollars on Delayed Roadsters Earth2Tech

"Tesla Admits Huge Losses on First Cars, Boosts "Option" Prices to Recoup" Green Car Advisor

Tesla spokeswoman Rachel Konrad said the company isn't afraid of a slew of breach of contract lawsuits because "we were very careful" from the beginning to say in all contracts "that prices can change."
It's kinda sad they have to make a statement like that.

(By the way, in the comments there is a Parker Lee or BettyLee that's taking the opportunity to spread FUD. A Kent sock puppet?)

Last edited:
"Tesla Admits Huge Losses on First Cars, Boosts "Option" Prices to Recoup" Green Car Advisor
Tesla spokeswoman Rachel Konrad said the company isn't afraid of a slew of breach of contract lawsuits because "we were very careful" from the beginning to say in all contracts "that prices can change."
It's kinda sad they have to make a statement like that.

You're not kidding... That's wonderful PR for you, "let our customers sue us, we're prepared with our mighty contracts to withstand a whole slew of them." I'd still rather represent an owner on this one. And with the numbers Tesla is talking (more than 25 affected), Tesla is actually ripe for a class action lawsuit. Just a heads-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The buy page on the Tesla website for 2009 models STILL says, as it has for at least a year:
$5000 refundable reservation fee starts the process and locks in price
What exactly is that supposed to mean if NOT that you lock in the price you will pay? I STILL don't get how they can change the price for people who have already given that deposit.

why ...didn't he ... raise the lock-in prices in September 2008? Why did he wait until THIS WEEK to finally jack them up?
Guesses:

#1: The reality of the DOE loan situation didn't hit home until more recently.
#2: The $7,500 federal credit takes effect now to soften the blow.
#3: Customers past a certain date could have a different contract than the older ones.

Last edited:
Moderators Note: This thread has been fairly civil so far. I'd like to keep it that way.
The conversation is about a real issue that has many people legitimately upset. It is ok to vent, but please do so in a rational manner. Please don't resort to name calling or pulling in random off topic information. Thanks.

In my experience it worked for 30% solar :smile:
But not for the old hybrid vehicle credit :mad:

It was alot of boring reading and it was back when it was first published but I am fairly certain that the new plugin credit referenced the same not subject to AMT verbiage as the solar or else it was an identical section.

This of course was before it got to the IRS and tax accountants.

Today's email from Tesla:

In response to our customers many questions with regards to the options price increase, new options, and new announcements, Tesla will host two town hall style meetings at its Los Angeles and Menlo Park Stores. The meeting will be hosted by Elon Musk and other staff members. If you can, please join us at one of the meetings either in person or by telephone.

Monday, January 26 Tesla L.A. Store
Tuesday, January 27 Tesla Menlo Park Store

Looks like the story will be in tomorrow's SF Chronicle.

In unusual move, Tesla charging extra for pre-ordered cars - SFGate.com

Almost 400 people are still on the waiting list for Tesla's 2008 roadster. The company notified them of the pricing changes last Friday, and Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk will meet with some customers in Northern and Southern California next week.

"None of them has canceled yet, and we certainly hope they don't," said Tesla spokeswoman Rachel Konrad. But we can understand if they're upset."
I'd guess most people will wait for the town hall meetings before they make up their minds.

Last edited:
Town hall meetings are good for a time of PR crisis.

They are!

But it is a bit annoying that they only happen when Tesla is in the middle of a PR crisis. They had 2 around a year ago when dealing with the Martin firing thing... but as soon as that crisis passed, they dropped having them. They talked about having more at different times, but it never happened. It seems only useful for them when there is a crisis to defuse - not for really for communication.