Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla increases size of Standard Range Plus (SR+) Model 3 battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5kwh extra wouldn’t change my life, but it’ll look a darn sight more attractive to prospective customers. I think lead times are going to increase as people become keener on EVs, which should have a positive effect on residuals.

Having a 60kwh LFP vs current LR battery, now that’s an interesting discussion.

I wonder if the Q4 cars in transit will have 55 or 60s??

After reading the article on the link, where would you find the variant code for the new battery? The “E6LR”?

As it’s not in his VIN code?
Assuming it's the same as it was for me back in December last year. The only way to find it out is when picking up the car; in the Glovebox there's a 'Conformity' sheet, almost an assembly sheet from the factory and it's listed on there.

I know German owners get theirs electronically before delivery, I don't think we get that chance thou.

Reactions: Simonix
From elsewhere on the forum, someone noted that if the 8th figure in the vin is a “J”, then this may also denote the larger battery on the SR+ LFP.

This matches the vin on the link posted above too…..
Hopefully this is true. My SR+ is currently on its way from China and the VIN in the page source code does indeed have a J as the 8th figure.

History maybe relevant here.. Tesla have shipped cars with different size batteries before (early 2021 LR) and software locked the larger one down - so all had the same WLTP range as advertised.

Until the advertised range increases, a higher capacity battery may not yield more miles.

Reactions: Adopado
MIC SR+ heading to Australia had a different LFP battery code but just because it went to Australia doesn’t mean at the moment it’s going everywhere. Same with the LR pack where there’s some signs of an 82kwh LR pack from China but none of the cars on their way here seem to have it.

It’s almost certainly coming, what we don’t know is when, might be a 2022 model year revision.

MIC SR+ heading to Australia had a different LFP battery code but just because it went to Australia doesn’t mean at the moment it’s going everywhere. Same with the LR pack where there’s some signs of an 82kwh LR pack from China but none of the cars on their way here seem to have it.

It’s almost certainly coming, what we don’t know is when, might be a 2022 model year revision.
It seems that the 8th digit of the VIN indicates battery type.

On the SR+: A is the 55kWh, and J indicates the 60kWh

On the LR: B is the LG, and K the newer Panasonic 82kWh

Just what I have read in various places.

It seems that the 8th digit of the VIN indicates battery type.

On the SR+: A is the 55kWh, and J indicates the 60kWh

On the LR: B is the LG, and K the newer Panasonic 82kWh

Just what I have read in various places.
I read
7 is battery type
8 is motor type

1=Single motor
2=Twin motor
3=Single Performance motor
4=Twin Performance motor
B=Twin motor
C=Base Motor, Tier 2 Battery
D=single motor, std winding
E=dual motor, std winding
F=performance, std winding
G=Base Motor, Tier 4 Battery
J=single motor, hairpin winding
K=dual motor, hairpin winding
L=performance, hairpin winding
N=Base Motor, Tier 7 battery
P=Performance Motor, Tier 7 battery

Reactions: init6 and HenryT
I read
7 is battery type
8 is motor type

1=Single motor
2=Twin motor
4=Twin Performance motor
B=Twin motor

I read
7 is battery type
8 is motor type

1=Single motor
2=Twin motor
4=Twin Performance motor
B=Twin motor
You are correct, I think the battery size is connected to the motor type, so the new hairpin wound motors go with the new packs.

Hope so anyway!

As seen on some other threads, the SR+ is no more!

Now it is just the "Model 3", with the quoted 305 mile range and slightly slower 0-60.

Question is, despite the talk about VINs stating what pack will be fitted to the Q4 2021 SR+ people have ordered, surely they have to be careful to not sell cars to people with completely different specs from what they paid for?

I would imagine that even if the new battery/motor is fitted to the SR+ Q4, they will probably be software locked to match the specs (Range & speed) at the point of order. This would also coincide with the jump to a February delivery a few weeks back on the site. In order to try and separate the last of the "SR+" models, from the new "Model 3"

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
At this rate its starting to make the long range Model Y a bit of a joke. Im not fussed where it comes from but all I can say for now is that at least it was only £100 deposit and I hope it goes a long way to the Elon's Christmas party fund.