Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla installing ChargePoint at new Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited a yet to open Supercharger in Sanford, FL. The Supercharger will be approximately 12 stalls. The odd thing is that in between the Supercharger stalls and the giant white electrical boxes are two ChargePoint stalls. The ChargePoint are not yet active as they appear to be waiting on Tesla to activate the entire site. The ChargePoint stalls even have the exact same bollards (grey with red stripes) protecting them as do the Supercharger stalls. Is this common to have ChargePoint incorporated into a Supercharger location? I’ve never seen it before.

Visited a yet to open Supercharger in Sanford, FL. The Supercharger will be approximately 12 stalls. The odd thing is that in between the Supercharger stalls and the giant white electrical boxes are two ChargePoint stalls. The ChargePoint are not yet active as they appear to be waiting on Tesla to activate the entire site. The ChargePoint stalls even have the exact same bollards (grey with red stripes) protecting them as do the Supercharger stalls. Is this common to have ChargePoint incorporated into a Supercharger location? I’ve never seen it before.
Happening all over. Titusville (FL) location has ChargePoint incorporated at the site that's been there several years. I've seen (but don't remember) other locations as well. Perhaps part of the deal to allow Tesla to lease the space?

Reactions: ShareLofty
I've never seen it, but I've heard of similar things at some (but certainly not all) sites in New York State. As I understand it, Tesla did this there as a way of getting state incentive money. The relevant laws or regulations were written in such a way that Tesla could get incentive money by including a couple of CCS stalls at a much larger Supercharger site, so they contracted with ChargePoint to provide the CCS hardware at the relevant Supercharger sites. It could be that something similar is happening in Florida, but I'm not familiar with whatever incentive programs Florida (or counties, cities, etc.) might have, so I'm just speculating at this point.

There has been reporting that Tesla will soon be bringing out Supercharger stalls that can provide both Tesla's own NACS plugs and CCS plugs; but the reporting is rather thinly sourced right now. If it's correct, though, then what you're seeing go in may be among the last of their kind, since Tesla would be able to install some of its own CCS-capable Supercharger stalls in the near future.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
MN has a few Superchargers located in Target parking lots, and as far as I know, they all have level 2 Chargepoints included with the installation (Minnetonka, St Louis Park, Bloomington, Minneapolis/The Quarry all have Chargepoints). I wonder if it's a stipulation that Target requires for them to build a Supercharger?

A new Tesla Supercharger location near me has a Chargepoint charger with 4 plugs at the end of the row. Although the Superchargers have been in service for some time, the Chargepoint charger is not activated yet.

There is also a Chargepoint charger a few miles away at a RR station that was installed months ago that also is not activated. Does anyone have an idea what's going on with Chargepoint? I reported the RR charger problem to Chargepoint.

There's a relatively new Supercharger at a rest stop near the junction of I95 and I90 in Massachusetts. Was in there a month or so ago. Right next to the regular Supercharger stalls, there were a couple of fellows with a van, a mini-backhoe, and a hole they were digging in the ground. They informed me they were putting in some CCS charger stalls.

After mentioning this on the TSMC, "We got a new SC! thread! for the location, it was mentioned that a similar rest stop in Lexington was getting the same treatment. Which makes sense: If there's getting to be a significant number of non-Tesla vehicles running around, putting in CCS charging stalls makes all sorts of sense.

On the one hand, these new charging spots were on the same concrete island that the Tesla stalls were. On the other, no indication that Tesla was involved in the decision to put them there or not; it could easily have under the mandate of whatever State agency runs the rest stops.

Reactions: dusty22
MN has a few Superchargers located in Target parking lots, and as far as I know, they all have level 2 Chargepoints included with the installation (Minnetonka, St Louis Park, Bloomington, Minneapolis/The Quarry all have Chargepoints). I wonder if it's a stipulation that Target requires for them to build a Supercharger?
Supercharger location in Titusville, FL, located at a Target, has the same configuration .

Chargepoint location in a public parking garage near my daughters apartement
A new Tesla Supercharger location near me has a Chargepoint charger with 4 plugs at the end of the row. Although the Superchargers have been in service for some time, the Chargepoint charger is not activated yet.

There is also a Chargepoint charger a few miles away at a RR station that was installed months ago that also is not activated. Does anyone have an idea what's going on with Chargepoint? I reported the RR charger problem to Chargepoint.

Chargepoint in a public garage near my daughter's apartment is notoriously out of service.
Reporting to chargepoint - they claim the parking management is at fault.
Reporting to Parking management - they blame ChargePoint.

Childish game... only tesla has the true reliable consumer experience.

On my road trip Chicago - FL Keys - Chicago, not once i had a problem with SC.
I did however see many non-tesla public chargers out of service.