Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investors Fossil Fuel Divestment News & Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neroden

Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan
Apr 25, 2011
Ithaca, NY, USA
I think this is a major topic, and I wasn't sure whether it fit in market politics or macroeonomics... so I'm making it its own topic.

I don't have a direct link to the FT citation here, but according to Nick Cunningham:

on December 20 a group of 93 institutional investors with $11.5 trillion under management published a letter in the Financial Times. The letter stated strongly that “we require power companies… to plan their future in a net zero carbon economy…. We expect specific timelines and commitments…”
Investors Are Turning Their Back On Coal | OilPrice.com

I think this is a major topic, and I wasn't sure whether it fit in market politics or macroeonomics... so I'm making it its own topic.

I don't have a direct link to the FT citation here, but according to Nick Cunningham:

Investors Are Turning Their Back On Coal | OilPrice.com

Thanks for posting. Given industry and politicans’ footdragging on climate change I think divestment has become an increasingly important piece of the puzzle.

There are signs that divestment efforts are picking up on some leading college campuses — hopefully this spreads.

YPD arrests 48 people at divestment sit-in

It is everyone’s responsibility, but if I were in my teens or twenties I would be especially pissed off at how poorly the over-thirties are managing this.

• Informative
Reactions: jbih and neroden
Out of curiosity I looked it up; total major institutional divestment commitments amount to just short of $8 trillion in assets under management.

Landmark fossil fuel divestment reached!

It was at only $6.24 trillion as recently as September, which means it's moving fast -- 1.75 trillion in three months, which would be 7 trillion per year annualized. Many of these are only partial divestments, but it shows a trend which should make it harder and harder for fossil fuels to get funding.

Global Fossil Fuel Divestment Movement Reaches $6.24 Trillion in Assets Under Management, 120x Increase From Four Years Ago, Report Says

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and jbih
I've followed with great interest the ebb and wane of divestment efforts ever since the South African apartheid focus, now more years ago than is polite to remind me.
So it's fun to have a new thought every now and then. Just had one -

Heretofore, it may have been seemingly smart for Koch Enterprises, and the two brothers, most especially Charles Koch, to view themselves as out of the fray, in that Koch is a private, supremely closely-held corporation, thus unaffected in the first derivative, from any divestment calls.

However, look at their positioning today, and compare them with, for example, Royal Dutch Shell. Koch Enterprises is unabashedly remaining full-bore the exemplar of a traditional refiner, pipeline operator, and downstream chemicals manufacturer (they've little to no exposure in oil or gas production). They have demonstrated zero interest in moving away from these sectors. RDS, for all its many faults, has sensed the change in the wind, as testfied by inter alia their recent pegging CEO's compensation to certain CO2 reduction targets.

My germ of an idea is that it might be possible that a publicly-held company may, in its need to take into account at least some of public attitudes towards societal desiderata, be earlier and more effective in adapting itself to a new paradigm than a privately-held one. Koch may be winning battles but losing the war.

Strange as it may seem, but there might be posters here who are unaware of the prodigious amount of material about Chas. & David Koch, their company and their political machinations, laid out in Jane Mayer's Dark Money. That work has been referenced any number of times in TMC posts, but if you've not yet read it, there are many minutes remaining until Christmas: go buy it for yourself. And read it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just a quick reminder that divestment is not "just activism" but financially prudent: Compare how the S&P with and without fossils (SPYX) has done over the past 2 years. That in itself should be enough reason to divest...
To all you index folks out there: there are fossil free index options - go for them!

• Love
Reactions: neroden