Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Government Shutdown/Debt Limit - Issues and Timelines for Investors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, it's hilarious to watch them citing letters from their voters and other stuff, basically talking to an empty room. What's the point? Why do they keep doing that one by one?

They're a bunch of self centered a$$hats thats why. I seriously hate our lawmakers. And voting in different ones usually doesn't help because 90% of them are not in it for the best interest of their voters.

Seriously, it's hilarious to watch them citing letters from their voters and other stuff, basically talking to an empty room. What's the point? Why do they keep doing that one by one?

They do it for their home state news.
Senators or House members will get the video clip of their own comments, then their PR person will send it to the various TV news outlets in the markets they are trying to reach.

Btw looking at the reuters feed of senate floor, is that yabbering how great and good they are and the huge effort it took and congratulating everyone. Is that the norm? No wonder they can get no work done...

haha I was wondering the same, I turned it off after 20 minutes though when I realized "nothing" was happening. I was expecting some debate or a live vote or something. I don't regret spending this past week following the american political debacle, I've learned a lot about American politics these past days, and as a Tesla fanboy, it can't hurt :biggrin:

I don't regret spending this past week following the american political debacle, I've learned a lot about American politics these past days....

Expect the whole shenanigans to be repeated in ~14 weeks time. The Republicans came off looking so bad that the Democrats will be delighted to provoke them into doing the whole skit again; the Tea Party feels that this was a victory and they're acting on principle so they'll welcome the chance of another round center stage.

[/cynicism]

The good news is that the more this sort of political instability occurs, the less the financial markets will take notice.

So, does this now officially mean that we're out of the rain? That the deal is now as close to secure as it can possibly come and the market hasn't jumped up because they're awaiting the actual vote?

Yes, its basically done.

Cruz and Lee have both waved the white flag in the Senate, which mooted the need for the House to vote first to speed things up. And everyone has accepted that the Senate bill will get a vote in the House, which will pass it.

Given the unwillingness of any Senators to deny unanimous consent, the bill will move quickly, and we should see it signed by the President by tonight (tomorrow at the latest).

In fact, things are moving so quickly that we might even see budget conferees appointed by tonight, despite the fact that the requirement for that was removed from the bill to reduce the amount of time needed to pass it (the budget conference language would have triggered special rules of debate that would have slowed the bill at a minimum, and could have caused real problems if an insurgent group of Senators had decided they wanted to kill the bill).

lol at the panda cam. Thanks again cap op for this great thread and all your input.

and thank you mods for helping to keep it all civil :)

edit: I saw that futures had turned red and looked at the new news... all I saw was that the house just passed the bill the senate had passed ... lol ... crazy market