Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Government Shutdown/Debt Limit - Issues and Timelines for Investors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow , can this really be the end of it ?

I fear that it isn't the end, but is the beginning of another 3 months of uncertainty and more brinkmanship early next year. It may be that U.S. markets will ignore the whole thing but sooner or later international investors are going to get fed up with U.S. political shenanigans and start looking elsewhere for investment opportunities.

I fear that it isn't the end, but is the beginning of another 3 months of uncertainty and more brinkmanship early next year. It may be that U.S. markets will ignore the whole thing but sooner or later international investors are going to get fed up with U.S. political shenanigans and start looking elsewhere for investment opportunities.

Can't invest in Tesla elsewhere :)

I am pleased by Boehner's apparent acceptance of his fate, that he will not go down as executioner of the market and global economy regardless of how his speakership is viewed, at this moment in history. The market, and I, have been trading on this assumption for the last two weeks.

I will be more pleased when the bills are on the floor and the votes are cast. If Senator Cruz tries another filibuster stunt, which he could (at his own peril and ours, but the possibility exists), then he could effectively force a preliminary default situation.

Either way, hats off to CapOp for excellent updates in this thread. I have been following @RobertCostaNRO on Twitter as you suggested and along with the more extensive updates at the Washington Post, and together they have been the best source of inside news in this debacle. I believe I will stay tuned to Mr. Costa after this is all over.

Keep praying, hoping, sending good vibes, whatever your thing is guys. We are not out of the woods yet but we are getting close.

Last edited:
Flux, did you mean @robertcostaNRO. Robert Costa from the National Review.

I tried looking for RobertJCosta, and there are a is a Robert J Costa, that only posts on Twitter about once a month, and his profile text description says he "is a financial supporter of the Sarah Palin PAC and Life and Endowed member of NRA"

Flux, did you mean @robertcostaNRO. Robert Costa from the National Review.

I tried looking for RobertJCosta, and there are a is a Robert J Costa, that only posts on Twitter about once a month, and his profile text description says he "is a financial supporter of the Sarah Palin PAC and Life and Endowed member of NRA"

I'm so sorry -- you are correct and I don't know why I wrote the wrong one in there.

Here is the correct link, I hope. All credit to CapOp for suggesting it.

Apologies for the typo.

This sets up a new deadline for January 15th.
On that day another set of sequester cuts begin automatically. It is already baked into the budget from 2011.
The Republicans win by doing nothing, Jan 15, 2014 cuts already signed into law by Obama in 2011.

Watching those negotiations should be fun in December / January.

Thank goodness:

Untitled2.jpg

So, does this now officially mean that we're out of the rain? That the deal is now as close to secure as it can possibly come and the market hasn't jumped up because they're awaiting the actual vote?

The deal is made just in the senate. The house needs to vote on it. Couple crazy but very possible scenarios include a Ted Cruz filibuster... If things go smoothly, that will be the end of it. If not, watch out!

The deal is made just in the senate. The house needs to vote on it. Couple crazy but very possible scenarios include a Ted Cruz filibuster... If things go smoothly, that will be the end of it. If not, watch out!

Well from what I understood from the live stream that Cruz is capitulating that he won't block it in senate. This should mean that it's basically over? But in reality we can only be sure once the voting is done and it worked.

I'm wondering wether the government shutdown has a serious impact on Q4 sales? How much of Teslas operations depends on government operating? There might be issues with registrations and other bureaucracy to make cars and to ship them outside of the factory. For example customs paperworks to get the EU cars out of the country. If Tesla is indeed producing EU cars early on in a quarter to then ship them out for deliveries before the end of quarter. I'm not sure if there's anything or not, but somehow hadn't thought of this before now...