Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/20/us-china-economy-idUSKBN0KT04920150120

Mixed bag of news today, I daren't make any predictions how the market will react to the sum of it.

The market started off well this morning, but oil is getting hammered and things went south across the board. The IMF cut growth forecast for 2015, despite their slashing of .5% on the global economy, the U.S. is still looking towards high growth for 2015-2016. I think this Thursday will be an important day for the EU, right now the U.S. is carrying the rest of the world..

The market started off well this morning, but oil is getting hammered and things went south across the board. The IMF cut growth forecast for 2015, despite their slashing of .5% on the global economy, the U.S. is still looking towards high growth for 2015-2016. I think this Thursday will be an important day for the EU, right now the U.S. is carrying the rest of the world..

Indeed, rough seas in the global macroeconomic environment are having a pronounced effect on us equities, including our favorite. I feel like I don't have a good read on things right now, but I suspect that we are in for prolonged period of semi-stagnation in US equities prices while oil is cheap, followed by a massive and irrationally exuberant rally when oil is allowed to appreciate again by the Saudis later in 2015. When that may come to pass is anyone's guess.

All the active trades I am seeing are in foreign currency exchanges (ForEx), where these global macroeconomic tides are sending currencies on massive swings against each other. JPY/USD was the story a few weeks ago, now traders are salivating looking at Eurozone pegs. Interesting times.

I could do with less deflation and more fiscal stimulus, personally.

Indeed, rough seas in the global macroeconomic environment are having a pronounced effect on us equities, including our favorite. I feel like I don't have a good read on things right now, but I suspect that we are in for prolonged period of semi-stagnation in US equities prices while oil is cheap, followed by a massive and irrationally exuberant rally when oil is allowed to appreciate again by the Saudis later in 2015. When that may come to pass is anyone's guess.

All the active trades I am seeing are in foreign currency exchanges (ForEx), where these global macroeconomic tides are sending currencies on massive swings against each other. JPY/USD was the story a few weeks ago, now traders are salivating looking at Eurozone pegs. Interesting times.

I could do with less deflation and more fiscal stimulus, personally.

I agree. Data is all over the place right now but my gut feeling is that QE will help the EU tremendously, although it will arrive much later than the US's QE. The combined effect of Japan's & EU's QE can only help spur growth for the global economy and fight deflation. I also agree that inflation is the where we should be headed, just not in home prices, that area should deflate a little more.

IMO the recent development in the stock market tracking oil prices is a cautious play by large institutions and retail investors who are fearful of what this one data, in oil, might represent. For the average investor like myself, I am more optimistic of the future now than I was a few years back, mainly because the U.S. remains healthy and on track for higher growth for 2015-2016 as forcasted by the IMF.

I believe the Chinese GDP drop of 0.1% is overblown, and was expected. Due to China's growth in the standards of living, companies are naturally going to take manufacturing to other regions of the world such as India, Vietnam or Africa. Africa's GDP continues to grow at a very healthy pace as China has pumped a lot of money into that economy, and it's proving to be a great growth story for that battered continent. Samsung has recently announced a new multi-billion factory in Vietnam, a sign that China may not be the recipient of future manufacturing, which will undoubtedly benefit other nations in Asia.

I think foreign exchange currencies will be highly volatile during this time, there are so many things tide to foreign currencies I don't think I can ever stomach that kind of trade. Japan may need to lower the value of its Yen, like the Euro to the dollar of late to spur growth in their economy. With the U.S. Rolling ahead full speed, our currency should remain strong, just how much stronger than the Euro or Yen remains to be a discussion per QE has yet to show its effect on Japn and yet to start in the EU. Because of QE, I remain optimistic, it's worked for us under Obama, and should work for other countries, this should be good for fighting deflation, but only if home prices stably fall 2-3% per year as appose to a free fall. My next question is how much QE will Europe bring? My guesstimate is $500-$800 billion.

With talks of Grexit hitting this forum, the Nekkei and shanghai appears to be doing fine as I type this. Based on what I've been reading, the exit is expected. Germany is prepared and EU is positioned differently than it was a couple years ago when Spain, Italy and Portugal looked weak.

It would appear that today, the market wants to punish the Fed viciously for not being aggressive enough with its language. The market wants QE-infinity and is attempting to bully the Fed into submission. Macro traders I follow think there is more carnage to come tomorrow. We shall see.

The overall market took a beating today due to GDP data coming in at around 2.5% for full year 2014. After previous 5% GDP growth, the street was anticipating ridiculously similar numbers to end the year. Well, despite not repeating those absurd numbers, we are anticipating continual growth in GDP for 2015 to reach 3% and about 3.3% for 2016. At this rate, it is extremely difficult to interpret macro economic conditions as data continues to show mixed results.

We did, however, receive a bit of a boast from oil, which recovered about $3 or approx. 7% towards the end of the day. If these types of recovery continues for oil, it would be in line with what OPEC secretary general expected as we exit January and enter February. Usually after 4th Q, the economy slows down a bit, then picks up with more tail wind around March, which is most likely why OPEC expected oil prices to bottom out sometimes during January....

Consumer sentiment also continues to be strong, with many projecting that the U.S economy will continue to grow for the next 3-5 years...

In regards to Tesla's low volume, we are hovering around 3.5 million shares traded the past 10 days, which to me indicates that there is much support at the $200 level. I would be worried if the volume was higher than 5 million and we continue to go negative or flat. At this rate, I think we are forming a new base of stronger support at $200 since we've been here for awhile. Perception of Tesla in the media has recently changed from negative to positive as more reviews of the "D" hits the street. Despite, the negative macro data we received today, TESLA held up well, imagine if we receive something a bit more positive, I have a feeling the stock is ripe for an uptrend, especially with recent videos of the X. The street is usually a bit behind in terms of news flowing through this forum. Once the media gets a firm grip on more videos and pictures of X prototypes, investors will follow. If you are trying to time X, now would be a good time IMO. I can't see Tesla reporting guidance without including at least 5-7k X produced for the year...Just a guess here, good luck to everyone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/06/us-usa-economy-idUSKBN0LA02P20150206

257k jobs added, unemployment up to 5.7% due to labour market growing, along with substantial rise in wages.
Will the market react negatively to this because of the increased probability of ending ultra low IR? On the other hand, will consumer cyclicals react well to increasing purchasing power?
This gain is particularly impressive because there was a lot of talk about the number of jobs destroyed in the oil & gas sector by low oil prices. It seems pretty clear that low energy prices create more jobs than they destroy.

Japan looks to be doing well. The Nekkei is at an 8 year high. GDP looking to stabilize.

Nikkei is doing well because Yen is going down, due to Bank of Japan Quantitative Easing program. I doubt that the Japanese economy is out of the woods. There are problems with deflation.

On October 31st the Bank of Japan (BoJ) stunned the financial markets by unexpectedly expanding its programme of quantitative easing. The bank’s existing measures, a “different dimension” of easing from past efforts, were already daringly bold. Now it will swell Japan’s monetary base at an even faster pace, by around ¥80 trillion ($712 billion) each year, up from ¥60 trillion-70 trillion currently. To do so, it will hoover up still larger quantities of Japanese government bonds (JGBs). This additional step, said Haruhiko Kuroda, the governor of the BoJ, “shows our unwavering determination to end deflation”.

Here are graphs of exchange Yen/USD and Nikkei over the same time period.

Nikkei.PNG
YenUsd.PNG

There is similar effect in Australia. ASX300 jumped up with falling AUD.

ASX300.PNG
AUDUSD.PNG

Nikkei is doing well because Yen is going down, due to Bank of Japan Quantitative Easing program. I doubt that the Japanese economy is out of the woods. There are problems with deflation.

It will likely take a lot more to get Japan back to normal. But it's a bit soothing to my investment knowing their economy is slowly improving. The strong dollar may slow down certain sectors of the US economy, but it will be beneficial to other areas of the world. As long as the US continues to be strong, it'll buy time for other economies to recover and grow. With Japan and EU both infusing money, I remain bullish in the stock market, so long as the US remains the strong and China is steady.

It will likely take a lot more to get Japan back to normal. But it's a bit soothing to my investment knowing their economy is slowly improving. The strong dollar may slow down certain sectors of the US economy, but it will be beneficial to other areas of the world. As long as the US continues to be strong, it'll buy time for other economies to recover and grow. With Japan and EU both infusing money, I remain bullish in the stock market, so long as the US remains the strong and China is steady.

Economy is improving indeed. US economy has technically been out of recession for the last 6 years.

At 5.7%, US has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the OECD.

The Economist calls US "the star of the catwalk".:cool:

America is thriving for a few reasons. It is a relatively self-contained economy: foreign trade is only equivalent to 30% of GDP. So America feels other countries’ pain only faintly. While many governments are tightening belts, America’s is not: for the first time in five years, public spending as a proportion of GDP rose in 2014. American shoppers are flush with cheap credit. Lower oil prices also help, since America is still a net importer of the stuff.

If wages do not take off, Janet Yellen, the chair of the Federal Reserve, will not rush to increase interest rates from their current rock-bottom levels. There is no other reason to do so. Americans would struggle to repay some of their record-beating credit-card debt. The dollar would get even stronger. That would lead to big problems in an economy where inflation will remain close to zero in 2015 and GDP growth is not wild. Ms Yellen should enjoy the recovery while it lasts.

I hope that rates stay put for a while.

We may have a bull market for next few years at least, providing there are no wars or other catastrophes.

Economy is improving indeed. US economy has technically been out of recession for the last 6 years.

At 5.7%, US has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the OECD.

The Economist calls US "the star of the catwalk".:cool:

I hope that rates stay put for a while.

We may have a bull market for next few years at least, providing there are no wars or other catastrophes.

As we were discussing about Japan the other day, their export jumped to a whopping 19% up from 11% expected... the Nekkei is at a 15 year high! Hopefully Europe can get out of its funk the next few months.

As we were discussing about Japan the other day, their export jumped to a whopping 19% up from 11% expected... the Nekkei is at a 15 year high! Hopefully Europe can get out of its funk the next few months.

We can expect similar jump in Euro exports. Euro dropped close to 30% against USD since May 2014. Currencies are likely to reach parity in 2015.

EuroUSD.JPG

That is a double edge sword. Strengthened Japanese and European economy are the positive forces on a macroeconomic scene, but a strong dollar is weakening US economy.

All German and Japanese cars imported to US now compete with Tesla at 30% lower price point. The reverse also holds for Teslas exported to Europe and Japan.

All German and Japanese cars imported to US now compete with Tesla at 30% lower price point. The reverse also holds for Teslas exported to Europe and Japan.
I haven't looked at the Japanese pricing, but the German großen Drei (Audi, BMW, MB) weren't pricing their cars at parity last summer, with US prices appearing to result in lower gross margins than domestic sales. I would be surprised, therefore, to see them lower their sticker prices, but instead for them to pocket more margin. What we might see, though, are stable prices for the 2016 models and, potentially, more aggressive purchase incentives from the OEM.

I haven't looked at the Japanese pricing, but the German großen Drei (Audi, BMW, MB) weren't pricing their cars at parity last summer, with US prices appearing to result in lower gross margins than domestic sales. I would be surprised, therefore, to see them lower their sticker prices, but instead for them to pocket more margin. What we might see, though, are stable prices for the 2016 models and, potentially, more aggressive purchase incentives from the OEM.

It is correct what you say. My statement was too loose. Prices adjustments lag considerably behind exchange rate moves and often never catch up. Many factors may play a role in price (non) adjustment.

However if the trend of the exchange rate continues, prices adjustment will follow and may catch up.