Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla IPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes companies do a deal based on the timing in the market as opposed to when they need the money. You get the money when you can do it.

The timing might get lousy again for IPOs. If the market is looking good and the pricing is right, they might do the IPO just so they can.

Not sure how I feel...

I love Tesla and hope to get a Model S when/if they make the AWD version. However, I am not sure an IPO is really the best thing for the company (although it may be the best thing for the early investors). Instead of focusing on their master plan, I am worried that they are going to make decisions to make short-term decisions to make the IPO look better and then a bunch of people are simply going to cash out. I have more faith in a private company fulfilling their plan with a laser-like focus then a public company where everyone is obsessing about the stock price. Since they are supposedly profitable now and given that they got that DOE loan, I'd rather see them IPO in a few years once their 3rd model is out. But either way, I hope Tesla makes it!

I think now is likely the best time possible to do an IPO.
If you think about it, their most recent quarter was Q3 2009. July / August / September. During that time frame they were delivering 100+ cars per month and announced that they were profitable.

A Tesla Roadster is a recognized sale on delivery.

Their Q4 numbers won't be complete until December 31, 2009.
You can bet that their monthly sales have declined now that they have caught up with the backlog. Many of the Roadsters they are producing now are on spec. There are two Roadster Sport models in the Seattle store for sale.

So for the purposes of an IPO, Tesle Motors will look great on paper only until the end of 2009. Then the reality of the backlog being finished will put a dent in their numbers.

Although I heard that Colorado sold a lot of Tesla Roadster in the past few months with their $40,000 tax credit. Maybe it is not so bad.

Regardless, I think it makes perfect sense for Tesla Motors to go public now while their sales numbers are at their best. They will have a weaker sales picture for a few years until the Model S starts arriving in volume.

Just my opinion.

I love Tesla and hope to get a Model S when/if they make the AWD version. However, I am not sure an IPO is really the best thing for the company (although it may be the best thing for the early investors). Instead of focusing on their master plan, I am worried that they are going to make decisions to make short-term decisions to make the IPO look better and then a bunch of people are simply going to cash out. I have more faith in a private company fulfilling their plan with a laser-like focus then a public company where everyone is obsessing about the stock price.

This is actually the reason (along with James' point about the lack of backlog in 2010) why it is best to do the IPO now. The early investors have been waiting patiently, but won't/don't see any return on their investment until/unless Tesla sells some shares publicly and they can sell some of their shares. In other words, those private, early investors are most likely putting tremendous pressure on Tesla to help them cash out. By going public with some shares, Tesla can take some of the pressure off from their early investors, and reward them for their patience, and give them the breathing room they need to get to the Model S and Bluestar.

Also, it's most likely that this won't be a complete IPO where Tesla dumps a majority of shares (voting or otherwise) onto the public market, but rather is a limited sale of shares to the public to allow current shareholders to cash out some of their shares and members of the general public to buy shares. But control of the company will almost definitely still rest with those who currently have it, and it therefore shouldn't have much, if any, impact on the short or long-term business plans of Tesla.

Tesla Motors IPO

Tesla Motors to launch initial public offering - MarketWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tesla Motors, a maker of high-performance electric cars, will launch an initial public offering, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission Friday. The filing said the company seeks to raise as much as $100 million. Tesla said that it has sold 937 of its Tesla Roadster models to customers in 18 countries. Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan and Deutsche Bank were listed as underwriters.

More reports here:

http://247wallst.com/2010/01/29/its-here-tesla-motors-files-for-ipo/

Last edited:
Tesla Motors Files for an IPO, By the Numbers - MarketBeat - WSJ

Tesla Motors, maker of the zero-emission Tesla Roadster, filed for a $100 million initial public offering on Friday evening. Coming on the heels of Ford’s rebound and Toyota’s mishaps, could now be the time?

Read the full filing here or browse our numbers:

937: Tesla Roadsters sold in 18 countries in 2009

181: Employees as of 12/31/09

38: Age of CEO Elon Musk

2,000: Customers who have put $5,000 for the forthcoming Model S four-door

$49,900: Expected price for the Model S, after $7,500 tax credit

$108,000,000: Revenue through 9/30/09.

$236,400,000: Accumulated deficit over 6 years.

$106,547,000: Cash and equivalents on 9/30/09.

$465,000,000:Loan facility from the United States Federal Financing Bank and the Department of Energy.

Tesla Files for IPO--It Wants $100 Million : Greentech Media

It’s sold 937 cars and lost $236.4 million

Tesla Motors has filed for its IPO, and in the process become the latest money losing green tech company to try to go public.

The registration statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission states that the company has accumulated $108.2 million in revenue since its inception in 2006 and piled up an accumulated deficit of $236.4 million. That breaks down into a $30 million loss in 2006, a $78.2 million loss in 2007, an $82.8 million loss in 2008 and $31.5 million loss in 2009. It didn't start selling cars commercially, however, until the middle of 2008 after a series of delays the year before.

Tesla is seeking up to $100 million in the IPO.

Although Tesla is in the red, so were A123 Systems and EnerNoc when they went public.

It sold 937 cars through December 2009.

We'll get more in a bit. It's one long document.

Tesla To Kill Electric Roadster In 2011 - Tesla Roadster - Jalopnik

According to the IPO:

"We do not plan to sell our current generation Tesla Roadster after 2011 due to planned tooling changes at a supplier for the Tesla Roadster." Tesla plans to replace the Roadster, but not "until at least one year after the launch of the Model S, which is not expected to be in production until 2012."

It could be because of the changes Lotus is doing to get ready for the next Elise/Exige.

I wonder if the next Roadster will be based on the Model S platform (maybe shortened) or if it will be based on the next Elise/Exige platform.

The Model S skateboard is a little big to make a proper sports car (the 911, for that matter, is slightly too big to be a proper sports car ;-). Kinda makes me very, very glad to have the Roadster I have. There's not a whole lot you could take 'away' from the current car without losing the magic.

I hope the replacement is only slightly larger. I do want to have a replacement car to look forward too (even if I can see myself driving my current one for at least 10 years)!

From page 122 of the filings:

Mr. Musk holds a B.A. in physics at the University of Pennsylvania, and a B.S. in business from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

How silly! They forgot to mention his Stanford degree, which is clearly mention on Tesla Motors - board:

At Stanford, he finished his bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering in 2-and-a-half years and graduated No. 1 in his class.

Or perhaps someone realized you shouldn't bend the truth in SEC filings?

-Raymond.

Right Hand Drive Roadster Delivered

"We delivered our first right-hand drive version of the Tesla Roadster in January 2010, which we believe further demonstrates our ability to rapidly launch new products."

"As of December 31, 2009 we had 514 employees worldwide."

Quite a bit different that the WSJ number in the above post.

Also, a Telsa recruitment employee has stated they might hire up to 2000 more engineers(see TMC Video Forum "Engineering TV" video thread).

From page 122 of the filings:

Mr. Musk holds a B.A. in physics at the University of Pennsylvania, and a B.S. in business from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

How silly! They forgot to mention his Stanford degree, which is clearly mention on Tesla Motors - board:

At Stanford, he finished his bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering in 2-and-a-half years and graduated No. 1 in his class.

Or perhaps someone realized you shouldn't bend the truth in SEC filings?

-Raymond.

Raymond: The way I read the Tesla Motors website link you posted ... that info is about Steve Jurvetson ...

Any guesses what price it'll open at...or when this will actually occur?
I think the SEC has to comment on the filing and then, typically, ask for more details.
This circle can go round a few times, and could take a several of months. Then Tesla
has to go out to the big guys likely to buy the shares and convince them that they should
do so. Total 3 - 6 months ?
From random observations seems like companies like to start at around $10 a share.
They can split or reverse split to get the valuation they are after based on this.
I suppose your question is then the valuation, should be more than the that of the
Daimler round (think i read somewhere 1Billion - could be wrong - actually could
be wrong on all this -)

I think the SEC has to comment on the filing and then, typically, ask for more details.
This circle can go round a few times, and could take a several of months. Then Tesla
has to go out to the big guys likely to buy the shares and convince them that they should
do so. Total 3 - 6 months ?
From random observations seems like companies like to start at around $10 a share.
They can split or reverse split to get the valuation they are after based on this.
I suppose your question is then the valuation, should be more than the that of the
Daimler round (think i read somewhere 1Billion - could be wrong - actually could
be wrong on all this -)

Thank you, that actually helps. I'd like to buy a few shares (drop in the bucket really) just to have my foot in the door.