Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla IPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I'm the only one who missed it, but I saw this on the GM-Volt report on the IPO:
The filing also contains an easter-egg of sorts for current Tesla owners. They will be considered “friends and family” of Tesla which means they will be permitted the option of purchasing shares of the company at its inital price prior to entering the secondary public market. This is a way for Tesla to extend their appreciation to their loyal early customers.

That's an interesting tidbit...hopefully that'll extend to those of us who've got deposits down as well. That would be a very inviting option.

Perhaps I'm the only one who missed it, but I saw this on the GM-Volt report on the IPO:
The filing also contains an easter-egg of sorts for current Tesla owners. They will be considered “friends and family” of Tesla which means they will be permitted the option of purchasing shares of the company at its inital price prior to entering the secondary public market. This is a way for Tesla to extend their appreciation to their loyal early customers.
That's an interesting tidbit...hopefully that'll extend to those of us who've got deposits down as well. That would be a very inviting option.

If it is a hot IPO that is fully subscribed, that is a good deal. If it is a lemmon and falls below the IPO price ... :mad:

Every time I have been offered IPO shares unexpectedly, it has been a lousy IPO offering. If it is a hot IPO, that is oversubscribed causing it to open at the top of the range and go up the first day, it is almost impossible to get shares.

Google owns Tesla? :rolleyes:

Google Might Be Investing in Electric Cars - Google - Gawker
Tesla registered with the SEC on Friday. Buried in the copious paperwork is the name of a very interesting "Series C" and "Series E" stockholder: Amphitheatre LLC. We first flagged this entity as a possible Google front when it invested in a zeppelin company started by Google advisor Esther Dyson. The same zeppelin company was later hired by 23AndMe, the Google-funded and -housed genetic testing firm co-founded by the wife of Google co-founder Sergey Brin.

Last edited:
It is easier to focus with an extra $100 million in the bank.
I have always found that to be the case. :biggrin:

That's after the money is in the bank. If any employees who've been granted shares can hope to cash in I imagine they're very distracted. Those who haven't been granted shares may be even more so.

Perhaps I take a dim view of human nature.

I only remember Elon Musk saying the company would be "cash flow positive" for a particular month.

There has been a scramble to bring down manufacturing costs per car.

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention, but has Tesla Motors ever claimed to turn a profit?

Greetings, brand new member here, registered specifically for these questions.

I read the S-1 cover to cover. I found it interesting but not surprising that the IPO was going to be preferentially opened to current owners, waitlisters, employees and friends of employees. Has anyone that falls into those groups gotten any further info about this than what's in the SEC filing?

I will invest in Tesla. But when I consider how much money I'm going to invest, I keep going around in circles. I don't actually own a Roadster, in fact, I have a deposit on a Karma which was supposed to be delivered about now but is no where to be seen (of course, this is something I totally expected). I generally don't invest in companies that sell consumer goods that I don't buy. The Santa Monica store is only about a mile from my house so it's not like I haven't been tempted. In other words, investing in Tesla runs counter to how I normally do things.

So, in trying to figure out whether this IPO will be oversubscribed/undersubscribed in order to know whether it might be worth putting money on a Model S in order to get in on the ground floor or wait to see if the stock drops like a rock from the IPO price as some are predicting, I've got some questions I'm wondering if anyone here is keeping track of:

1) What's the avg. resale price? It seems like a lot of Teslas on Ebay never meet the reserve.
2) Why are people selling Roadsters? What mix of speculators and people who just don't like them is there?
3) Anyone know who's got the most miles on their Roadster?
4) How many accidents have their been? (Poor Martin.)
5) Will YOU be investing in Tesla?

Any input appreciated.

1) What's the avg. resale price? It seems like a lot of Teslas on Ebay never meet the reserve.
2) Why are people selling Roadsters? What mix of speculators and people who just don't like them is there?
3) Anyone know who's got the most miles on their Roadster?
4) How many accidents have their been? (Poor Martin.)
5) Will YOU be investing in Tesla?

1) I have not seen many succeessful sales. Of the ones I do know about, a used Roadster has gone for about $10,000 less than a brand new one.

2) Many possible reasons. Cannot put everyone in the same box.

3) I know one person that just did a 12,000 mile checkup on Tesla #181 delivered about a year ago. I am sure there are other Tesla Roadsters above that mark.

4) Unknowable.

5) No.

I own a 2010 Tesla Roadster and I am on the waiting list for a Model S. But I will not be investing in Tesla Motors. I love their cars, but I also think the period of time between now and the release of the Model S is very risky.

I think they will survive long term based on the $465 million government loan.
But that does not mean the stock will go up.

Last edited: