Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla IPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the divorce proceedings are going to have any significant effect on TM. It is quite hard to overturn a post-nuptial agreement, even in California, which since the 70's recognizes their legality. Although it might be in some way possible to invalidate it, it is an uphill battle.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/03/tesla-ipo-could-go-decent-or-worse-depending-on-ceos-divorce/

This article is based off a post on Darryl Siry's blog.

I thought this was interesting:

...Tesla's upcoming IPO will go out for somewhere between $1 and $1.5 billion. This will mean that the opening price could be around $10-$12 a share...and follows a 1-for-3 reverse stock split that the board recently approved.

Also, according to the legal document, it looks like Elon was the one that filed for divorce as he's listed as the "partitioner". I'm not sure how much that matters during the who-gets-what portion of the trial, if/when it gets there, but thought I would point that fact out.

On the topic of the actual IPO, if the opening-day price ends up being $10-$12/share that doesn't seem too bad to me. I might invest in a few shares if the stock price doesn't jump too high before I can get in.

EQUITIES: Tesla hits the road

Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and Deutsche Bank this morning commenced marketing the US$177.6m IPO of electric car manufacturer Tesla Motors. The deal consists of 11.1m shares and pricing is expected on June 28 within a US$17-$19 range. Upon pricing, Toyota Motor will purchase an additional US$50m at the offer price in a concurrent private placement.

Tesla Motors plans $167-million stock offering
Current owners — primarily venture capitalists and Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk — will sell about 2.2 million of the shares. Musk looks to make about $21 million from the deal, assuming the shares sell at the midpoint of the offering target, or for $15 each.
In its SEC filing, Tesla said it was reserving the purchase of about 900,000 shares in the offering for customers who had received delivery of a Tesla Roadster from the automaker, as well as business associates, employees and friends and family members of the employees...

The way I read it, the number of shares hasn't been decided yet. I filled out the first two screens of the MSDW site .... and I guess we wait for another email before finding out how many shares we're allocated. I'm a bit skittish on Tesla as a long-term investment, but if the Leaf & Volt do well in the marketplace then I think Tesla stock will do well as a pure-EV play. Longer term, they'll need to execute on the Model-S to remain viable (obviously). Owning their own distribution network should be a major asset if they can make it out of the gate w/ the model-s and .... dare I say ... bluestar.

From the prospectus:
The underwriters have reserved for sale, at the initial public offering price, up to 888,000 shares of our common stock being offered for sale to business associates, directors, employees and friends and family members of our employees and Tesla customers who have received delivery of a Tesla Roadster from Tesla.

Looks like they are offering up to 500 shares to "Tesla customers who have received delivery of a Tesla Roadster from Tesla", at least that is the maximum the web site will offer me. At an estimated price of $14-$16/share.

Last edited:
I didn't see this one posted, sorry if I missed it:

Tesla Motors: IPO Fueled By Glamour

The article isn't too bad but the writer didn't do through enough research before writing his article.
At the $15 mid-point,Tesla would be valued at $1.4 billion. That's quite a price for a company that has only existed for a few years and has never turned a penny of profit.

Some might consider it a minor detail but since it's a WSJ article I'd think they would have notice Tesla has posted a profit, once, for $1 million back in July of 2009. :tongue: