Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is dumping Mobileye???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the same line of BS I was told about my MS. "All the hardware is already in the car."

Now we know the AP 1.0 HARDWARE in the Model S/X will NEVER be capable of full autonomous use. More false advertising...

When did Tesla promise full autonomy with the current car hardware? Before and as AP came out, Elon specifically talked about freeway on ramp to off ramp autonomy. No more. Tesla, AFAIK, has never promised urban driving with the currently shipping cars.

When did Tesla promise full autonomy with the current car hardware? Before and as AP came out, Elon specifically talked about freeway on ramp to off ramp autonomy. No more. Tesla, AFAIK, has never promised urban driving with the currently shipping cars.
That's what I remember too. On ramp to off ramp was the best case scenario for the current hardware. Full autonomy would take a lot more hardware.

Reactions: msnow and Petra
c) Although since 2014, Apple has made efforts to follow Tesla's footstep in avoiding using Conflict Minerals but Amnesty International still names Apple as one of violators.
I work in Conflict Minerals, and you can't claim that Tesla is more of a leader in Conflict Minerals than Apple is. In fact, Tesla included South Sudan as one of their countries of origin. South Sudan has no sources of conflict free 3TG minerals. The choice to list all listed countries as countries of origin shows a lack of understanding of the regulations on the part of Tesla.

I work in Conflict Minerals, and you can't claim that Tesla is more of a leader in Conflict Minerals than Apple is. In fact, Tesla included South Sudan as one of their countries of origin. South Sudan has no sources of conflict free 3TG minerals. The choice to list all listed countries as countries of origin shows a lack of understanding of the regulations on the part of Tesla.
I'm not clear what this means. Is everything from South Sudan off limits? Could, say the headliner, material be from a country that has conflict minerals, but not be a conflict material? What is 3TG minerals?
Not trying to be argumentative - please just educate me a tad on this important issue..

I'm not clear what this means. Is everything from South Sudan off limits? Could, say the headliner, material be from a country that has conflict minerals, but not be a conflict material? What is 3TG minerals?
Not trying to be argumentative - please just educate me a tad on this important issue..
I was wondering the same thing, so i looked around and found this

Conflict resource - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand corrected, it was a Bose unit. One of the door speakers failed, then a few months later the head unit failed. I replaced it with a Sony and the door speakers with some coaxial aftermarket speakers and couldn't believe how much better the sound was.

I thought maybe cars in some other countries had different hardware. For its day I loved that car. Both of mine were very reliable and a blast to drive.

What is 3TG minerals?

Conflict Minerals: The Truth Underlying the Systemic Looting of Congo

The 3 Ts are minerals called:

1) Tin. It's used as solder.
2) Tungsten. Tungsten alloy vibrator helps your phone vibrate.
3) Tantalum. It's great as capacitors.

G: is for Gold. It's a great non-corrosive conductor.

Democratic Republic of the Congo has very rich ores with these.

The problem is the revenue from these mines only enriches the cruelty of war in the region, so they are called "conflict minerals."

If so, why don't we call oil as conflict resource that sustains perpetual wars such as ISIS?

Well, someone already set up an organization for anti-cruelty for Democratic Republic of the Congo with "conflict minerals" awareness so we'll need someone to do the same for oil too.

Last edited:
You know, random irrational Apple hatred sounds awfully similar to random irrational Tesla hatred.

There's no perfect company but I am just trying to point out the differences between Apple and Tesla.

Whether those differences are irrational or not, they are still differences.

I would not classify Tesla critics as irrational. They do have valid reasons such as:

All their lives have been comfortable with oil and all this Tesla talks would just threaten to disrupt their way of life...

Some would say that fear is irrational but I would say their concern is legitimate and is worthy of being addressed.

When I bought my car. Granted, I guess I should have known better than to trust what a Tesla employee at a store was telling me at the time.....he also said my car would do the 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds....

...I should have known better than to trust what a Tesla employee at a store was telling me at the time.....

It was understood that this would be a first version or beta and you can see very clearly that the camera is mono-lens. You need at least two separate cameras or a dual-lens stereoscopic canera for depth perception. That's a good indication that it won't stop with a mono-lens system.

Last year, an article explained its suitability for freeway driving.

Tesla’s Cars Now Drive Themselves, Kinda

"So will this sensor suite be enough to enable autonomous driving eventually? In a word, no. “This is not the full autonomy sensor suite,” says Musk...This software update won’t work everywhere you go. It’s really for highway and freeway driving..."

I assume that Tesla is just like a smart phone that you might want to reserve a budget to trade up every few years.

It was understood that this would be a first version or beta and you can see very clearly that the camera is mono-lens. You need at least two separate cameras or a dual-lens stereoscopic canera for depth perception. That's a good indication that it won't stop with a mono-lens system.

While stereo vision makes it easier, depth of a perceivable object also be calculated using a mono lens.

Try wearing an eye patch and walking towards a brick wall. You won't hit the wall unintentially, because your brain has worked out how close it is using mono sight and relative velocity.

That's what I remember too. On ramp to off ramp was the best case scenario for the current hardware. Full autonomy would take a lot more hardware.
Yes, when it was introduced I recall that Elon said the goal of autopilot was thar the car would drive itself on the highway without intervention from on ramp to off ramp, which at the time seemed like an amazing thing. And that goal seemed to be almost immediately achieved. Then 7.1 introduced nags, which for me was a step back from the goal.

Last year, an article explained its suitability for freeway driving.

Tesla’s Cars Now Drive Themselves, Kinda

"So will this sensor suite be enough to enable autonomous driving eventually? In a word, no. “This is not the full autonomy sensor suite,” says Musk...This software update won’t work everywhere you go. It’s really for highway and freeway driving..."

I assume that Tesla is just like a smart phone that you might want to reserve a budget to trade up every few years.
I can afford to toss away a $500 phone every three years for the newest and greatest. Not expecting much salvage value from an obsolete phone. But a $80,000 car better have some significant salvage value at the "end of its 5-year life". There should be folks who want a used car with lots of capability, just not the newest feature.

While stereo vision makes it easier, depth of a perceivable object also be calculated using a mono lens.

Try wearing an eye patch and walking towards a brick wall. You won't hit the wall unintentially, because your brain has worked out how close it is using mono sight and relative velocity.
As it happens I have only one functioning eye. Anybody thinking monocular vision can simulate multi sensor vision does not understand too well. I also possess an Airline Transport Pilot certificate. The examination to grant a SODA (statement of demonstrated ability) proved, to me anyway, that a large amount of ancillary information is required to compensate for the limitations implicit in monocular vision. I am confident that multiple sources will be cheaper and more reliable than will be monocular workarounds. Of course I am betting on my analogy...