Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is not publishing service bulletins, keeping them "secret" (per NHSTA complaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my coolant pumps replaced as part of a proactive service bulletin about 18 months ago. I didn't see that in the CR list. There is also a service bulletin for installing improved windshield defroster vents, didn't see that in the CR list either. CR's list is hardly complete.

Well, the reason I asked for the service invoice snap shots is to make sure that we are not playing loose with the facts, all the while engaging in what is becoming a favorite pass-time of bashing Tesla without a justifiable reason.

I am not sure based on what you labeled installing improved windshield defroster vents as a "service bulletin". I happened to have the same done to my car, and my service invoice does not refer to this as a service bulletin - it is called a "Defrost Mesh Grille Update" - see snap shot included below. I would be interested to see how is this presented on your Service Invoice.

There is also a problem with the declaration "Tesla is not publishing service bulletins". The process of "publishing" TSBs includes their dissemination among the dealers that service manufacturer's cars. TSBs also are reported to NHTSA. Other than the above there is no procedure to "publish" TSBs. Since there are no independent dealers in the Tesla service model, their TSBs are disseminated among the Tesla Service Centers and reported to NHTSA. As can be seen from the above saying that Tesla is not publishing service bulletins, keeping them secret is a misnomer.

I would hold off with the sweeping declarations until evidence supporting it actually shows up.

It might be useful to read the following article explaining the process associated with TSBs and the difference between TSBs and service campaigns: Recall, TSB or customer service campaign: Whats the difference? - Chicago Tribune

Attachments

• Snap116.png
    Snap116.png
    57 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
It might be useful to read the following article explaining the process associated with TSBs and the difference between TSBs and service campaigns: Recall, TSB or customer service campaign: Whats the difference? - Chicago Tribune

That's an interesting distinction I didn't know about. Looking through my service invoice, I see that items from the NHTSB list in an earlier post are referenced as "bulletins" specifically. For example: "Sound is coming from steering rack. Performed available bulletin. Checked. Verified noise is no longer present.."

Well, the reason I asked for the service invoice snap shots is to make sure that we are not playing loose with the facts, all the while engaging in what is becoming a favorite pass-time of bashing Tesla without a justifiable reason.

I am not sure based on what you labeled installing improved windshield defroster vents as a "service bulletin". I happened to have the same done to my car, and my service invoice does not refer to this as a service bulletin - it is called a "Defrost Mesh Grille Update" - see snap shot included below. I would be interested to see how is this presented on your Service Invoice.

There is also a problem with the declaration "Tesla is not publishing service bulletins". The process of "publishing" TSBs includes their dissemination among the dealers that service manufacturer's cars. TSBs also are reported to NHTSA. Other than the above there is no procedure to "publish" TSBs. Since there are no independent dealers in the Tesla service model, their TSBs are disseminated among the Tesla Service Centers and reported to NHTSA. As can be seen from the above saying that Tesla is not publishing service bulletins, keeping them secret is a misnomer.

I would hold off with the sweeping declarations until evidence supporting it actually shows up.

I also wasn't aware of the distinction between an "update" and a "TSB". Thank you for bringing that to everyone's attention.

I called the defroster vent a "service bulletin" because that's the term the service center used to describe what was done to my car while it was being prepped for delivery. Per my service advisor, "all current service bulletins are applied to your vehicle when it is prepped for delivery".

When has this ever happened with any other EV ever made for which service manuals are available?

There has never been another pure EV manufacturer in the modern era. Can't count Nissan as they have many other models and could easily survive the Leaf if it were to tank. Tesla obviously couldn't survive the Model S sales ranking.

Last edited: