Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is now asking for payment in full before seeing the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i spoke with my delivery person and said i can bring a check or do ach at delivery. they would like you to pay first but its not required.
Yes.

Of course they want to walk off with your money early. There are people who have paid in advance, after getting given fake delivery dates which were cancelled. and then waited months with no car, who still don't have a car. Tesla appreciates the loan of your money, in exchange for which they have given you nothing. Don't fall for it.

Do not pay before seeing the car unless you're stuck in Texas or something similar.

Agree with neroden - do not prepay unless you are forced to, as in Texas. I signed all the paperwork a delivery and handed over two checks - one from the credit union for the loan, and a second personal check. After that I asked them about applying my referral code since it was a Model 3 Performance and I was a previous owner. It took another 40 minutes of haggling and me threatening to refuse the car before they found someone at HQ to apply the referral. At the time I refused, they brought back the credit union check but not my personal check. Because my check had already been deposited electronically. After the referral problem was worked out and we took the car, I went home to find out that my check had already cleared my bank. Yes, they use a service that clears it the same day.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Agree with neroden - do not prepay unless you are forced to, as in Texas. I signed all the paperwork a delivery and handed over two checks - one from the credit union for the loan, and a second personal check. After that I asked them about applying my referral code since it was a Model 3 Performance and I was a previous owner. It took another 40 minutes of haggling and me threatening to refuse the car before they found someone at HQ to apply the referral. At the time I refused, they brought back the credit union check but not my personal check. Because my check had already been deposited electronically. After the referral problem was worked out and we took the car, I went home to find out that my check had already cleared my bank. Yes, they use a service that clears it the same day.
I won't have enough time to have the CU mail me the check for tesla so it will have to be sent directly to tesla, which even then, will either not have enough time to get there or the delivery will just get canceled once it does?

No need to pre-pay. Cashiers Check, ACH, wire after inspection is fine.

told me recently on the phone that cashiers or even personal checks should be fine at delivery, but not wire or electronic check(what??? ok, wire maybe, it takes 3-5 bds).

I think nobody knows nothing in that company. But the "next steps" do say that the payment is "due at delivery" FWIW. I am not paying anything before i see the car (and they verbally are not insisting that i do). In fact, the tesla direct guy emailed that can even do financing during the delivery with something about lowest rate guarantee... more bs, nobody knows anything there.

• Informative
I suspect what they are doing when you give a check is basically doing a wire transfer/ach. Everything they need is right on every check.

I just finally spoke with my delivery center and they said ach (which is a form of a wire transfer) can be done after inspection.

I think any means that they can confirm funds before you leave is ok. It will be in their bank before you get home.

• Informative
My webpage updated to this today.

upload_2018-10-12_21-39-46.png

But it still says estimated delivery by end of September. So I guess I have about a year to make the payment. I'm certainly not paying until I see the car! I hope that does not mean I am not getting a model 3.

I think maybe this means the check from my CU went through even though I no longer have that vin? I believe my first payment is due next month. As much as I hate to make payments for a car I don't own, it will suck even more to pay an extra $1000 over the life of the loan due to interest rate hikes?

Last edited:

View attachment 343373

But it still says estimated delivery by end of September. I'm certainly not paying until I see the car. I hope that does not mean I am not getting a model 3

You're fine. I had a similar thought when I saw that note, but you haven't "taken delivery" until you sign the paperwork which you don't have to do until after inspection. Congrats on the next step!

View attachment 343373

But it still says estimated delivery by end of September. So I guess I have about a year to make the payment. I'm certainly not paying until I see the car! I hope that does not mean I am not getting a model 3.

I think maybe this means the check from my CU went through even though I no longer have that vin? I believe my first payment is due next month. As much as I hate to make payments for a car I don't own, it will suck even more to pay an extra $1000 over the life of the loan due to interest rate hikes?

All your troubles will be worth it once you have the car. You can reject at any time so you haven't give up any rights.

Refund in total is going to be a hassle but obviously you are not going to do that. :p

Reactions: Sg911

View attachment 343373

I’ve had that for two week last, and my delivery is in another 12 days...

Last edited:
You don't need to pay the final balance until you see and take the car at the delivery center. You can bring your financing's check with you (or have ur bank send that in advance). Any remaining balance you can pay in person using the ACH feature on your My Tesla account (it just ask for your bank routing and account number).

All your troubles will be worth it once you have the car. You can reject at any time so you haven't give up any rights.

Refund in total is going to be a hassle but obviously you are not going to do that. :p
Yea Ill get the car, someday. I mean at least by the end of September as the site reflects. No delivery date yet...

I hope I don't start having seat issues after 5k miles like these other guys are reporting. Maybe there is some kind of upholstery shop in SoCal that can fix the issue with the seat foams wearing out so quickly?

I elected to obtain 3rd party financing on my own and went with Suncoast CU as they were local and offered a favorable rate. I obtained a loan in the amount of $50k and will be paying any additional amount due in cash. The CU provided me with a loan packet which included a Loanliner Documentary Draft which I was instructed to give to the "dealership" at the time of purchase. At the top of the second page is what appears to be a check image that the dealer completes and then either faxes or mails back to the CU along with the Purchase Agreement, Invoice, and Lien Receipt reflecting the CU as the lienholder.

I assume this along with a cashier's check for the difference will be sufficient in order to complete the purchase of my Model 3 at the time of pickup, but wanted to confirm with anyone who may be familiar with this process. I would hate to arrive on my delivery date only to find out that I have to wait until Tesla confirms payment has been received before I can drive off.

Same here, only a different credit union and a slightly different amount. Kind of excited--just got the MVPA via email for electronic signature today. Pick up scheduled for 30 October. Was planning on doing an ACH ahead of time, but sounds like it can be done at the time of delivery which seems sensible. I have an almost 3 hour drive to get to the delivery center so I need to have a bit of leverage. Poop is getting real here!

I elected to obtain 3rd party financing on my own and went with Suncoast CU as they were local and offered a favorable rate. I obtained a loan in the amount of $50k and will be paying any additional amount due in cash. The CU provided me with a loan packet which included a Loanliner Documentary Draft which I was instructed to give to the "dealership" at the time of purchase. At the top of the second page is what appears to be a check image that the dealer completes and then either faxes or mails back to the CU along with the Purchase Agreement, Invoice, and Lien Receipt reflecting the CU as the lienholder.

I assume this along with a cashier's check for the difference will be sufficient in order to complete the purchase of my Model 3 at the time of pickup, but wanted to confirm with anyone who may be familiar with this process. I would hate to arrive on my delivery date only to find out that I have to wait until Tesla confirms payment has been received before I can drive off.
Hi Spy021, I'm in the same situation as you with Suncoast Credit Union. I hope the process worked for you. I wasn't sure if Tesla will accept that dealership packet and deliver the car. Don't want any surprises on D day :)

I'm in the same situation...working with Suncoast and I'm used to just getting a cert check from the bank upon loan approval. I got to this thread for the same reason...looking for answers before I show up and they won't let me take the car lol