Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is offering free supercharging if I take a delivery in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, many people commute 100 miles a day here and that's actually 25K miles and far more than the $3000 savings for many. Are you saying Tesla should not sell to those people? That may be your opinion and one that is not shared by Tesla and their sales team on the P3 and previous cars. They have sold thousands of cars to people that do just that. I am glad SC is now more pay per use and this is being done to reduce crowding primarily. However this does not negate the fact that it is significant benefit and savings which was my original point not if they should or should not do it.

Tesla is a for profit company. Wile E Coyote might catch the road runner before Tesla catches a profit. In an economically optimized scenario, everyone pays charging. Charging should be its own business unit that covers the cost of electricity delivered as well as maintenance and expansion of the network. I understand this is not the case as Tesla has played with numbers to create the buffet business model. Make money off women and kids, and lose money on the men.

Gross Margin on a $49,000 Model 3 is only 7,350. I hope you are not suggesting that after 1 year, Tesla gives up half their margin on "free" power delivery alone to sell a car?

My main point is nothing is free. Someone is paying for "free". Whether it be Tesla, or other owners, "someone" is paying for it.

nobody escapes the market forces. now they are negotiating. Trying to offload as much as they can in Bay Area to boost their numbers. Remember they still charge $1 to $1.2k worth of delivery charges even if it is just a 15 minute drive from the factory.

But eventually they will still have to deal with the long distance delivery and not getting free money for it. Kicking problems down the road was never a good strategy.

nobody escapes the market forces. now they are negotiating. Trying to offload as much as they can in Bay Area to boost their numbers. Remember they still charge $1 to $1.2k worth of delivery charges even if it is just a 15 minute drive from the factory.

But eventually they will still have to deal with the long distance delivery and not getting free money for it. Kicking problems down the road was never a good strategy.

Not that Tesla is one, but thats how every single ponzi scheme works and the basis for Greater fool theory when kicking problems down the road.

Their delivery charge was always flat. They didn't lose "less" delivering to NY for their planning - they just make "more" delivering to SF Bay Area.

Not that Tesla is one, but thats how every single ponzi scheme works and the basis for Greater fool theory when kicking problems down the road.

Their delivery charge was always flat. They didn't lose "less" delivering to NY for their planning - they just make "more" delivering to SF Bay Area.
wasn't half an hour since i posted and i see this Musk: Tesla Enters Car Carrier Building Biz To Speed Model 3 Deliveries. My point exactly -- they do have long distance delivery problems.

I am not sure why no other car maker has problems delivering to bay area by rail or othereise (my last two cars were assembled in no less than Japan and Canada), but Tesla has one in the opposite direction? Shortage indeed, or they simply cannot afford paying for it? And if there is indeed shortage in means of transporting cars across the country, why are they discovering it just now? or perhaps another great conspiracy against Tesla by trucking companies?

Standard route to continental US is trucking to Benicia rail yard, load there and go anywhere in the country. that's where most of local dealers get their cars. It is possible that Tesla manufactures more cars than is sold in BA. Didn't compare numbers. However, it wasn't that much of a problem for NUMMI which -- for a second -- was shoveling at ~ 450k a year rate. So. that leaves us with either inexperience, conspiracy, or affordability theories -- but least likely the availability one

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Tesla is a for profit company. Wile E Coyote might catch the road runner before Tesla catches a profit. In an economically optimized scenario, everyone pays charging. Charging should be its own business unit that covers the cost of electricity delivered as well as maintenance and expansion of the network. I understand this is not the case as Tesla has played with numbers to create the buffet business model. Make money off women and kids, and lose money on the men.

Gross Margin on a $49,000 Model 3 is only 7,350. I hope you are not suggesting that after 1 year, Tesla gives up half their margin on "free" power delivery alone to sell a car?

My main point is nothing is free. Someone is paying for "free". Whether it be Tesla, or other owners, "someone" is paying for it.

None of any of that relates to my main points. That free supercharging is not high value to many people, that not everyone lives in an area with dirt cheap utility rates and that Tesla is going to start discounting cars before the end of the year, etc, etc. Debating if Tesla should charge for SC and the structure of their profit models is a separate discussion.

Can anyone actually confirm they got this deal? I have heard it but no one at Tesla will confirm for me , in fact my sc said it was not true

I got it confirmed today, but it was a lot of hassling and pressure from me. It’s NOT an automatic thing, and I could tell my IDA didn’t want to give it to me and he was delaying confirming or denying until he was sure I was getting my Modle 3 delivered by the end of September. He just confirmed today, and I take delivery tomorrow. I cited one canceled delivery, costs incurred from moving travel I had planned, and the crappy trade offer they gave me :). Ultimately it worked! And honestly I feel it’s fair with all the subpar service leading up to delivery. It makes me happy big picture. Let’s hope tomorrow goes well! I set out for a 5000 mile road trip after pick up...

I got it confirmed today, but it was a lot of hassling and pressure from me. It’s NOT an automatic thing, and I could tell my IDA didn’t want to give it to me and he was delaying confirming or denying until he was sure I was getting my Modle 3 delivered by the end of September. He just confirmed today, and I take delivery tomorrow. I cited one canceled delivery, costs incurred from moving travel I had planned, and the crappy trade offer they gave me :). Ultimately it worked! And honestly I feel it’s fair with all the subpar service leading up to delivery. It makes me happy big picture. Let’s hope tomorrow goes well! I set out for a 5000 mile road trip after pick up...

How did this work out for you? I was promised the same thing via Text message, but it definitely looks like it did not work because I am being charged and my account says pay per use.

I confirmed multiple times and yet my account (which finally shows my car as delivered, more than 48 hours after delivery), currently shows pay-per-use. I’m not sure if it’s just a delay in it switching over or if I need to pester people.

Reactions: neroden
How did this work out for you? I was promised the same thing via Text message, but it definitely looks like it did not work because I am being charged and my account says pay per use.

My IDA said to give them 2 weeks. They are working on the “setting” for free super charging for one year vs for life, and that all fees would be refunded. I am definitely racking up the charges now on my road trip, so I will check in at the end of the week on it.