Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is offering free supercharging if I take a delivery in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered basic RWD. Referral is not working in this case. But, apparently, other guys are getting it too.
However, the question is - should I take it or should I wait for a better one next 3 month

Better what exactly? Better build quality?

I’d be possibly more worried about one being built during an end of year scramble as one built in June or July.

Free supercharging for one year is not a big deal, lifetime could be for an apartment dweller.

It’s worth perhaps $1,000 tops if you decide to supercharge more or less exclusively.

Better what exactly? Better build quality?

I’d be possibly more worried about one being built during an end of year scramble as one built in June or July.

Free supercharging for one year is not a big deal, lifetime could be for an apartment dweller.

It’s worth perhaps $1,000 tops if you decide to supercharge more or less exclusively.
I meant a better offer.
At this moment Tesla has a minor problem selling RWDs judging by the current incentive.

I meant a better offer.
At this moment Tesla has a minor problem selling RWDs judging by the current incentive.

I don’t know that the offer you’ve received indicates they are having a problem moving those cars. Many manufacturers build cars and don’t sell them for many months.

Tesla might be giving small incentives to improve quarterly numbers.

There are people who have been waiting on DM cars since end of June so Tesla can put RWD on hold for most of the rest of this year if they have to and just try to catch up on dual motor cars.

I don’t know that the offer you’ve received indicates they are having a problem moving those cars. Many manufacturers build cars and don’t sell them for many months.

Tesla might be giving small incentives to improve quarterly numbers.

There are people who have been waiting on DM cars since end of June so Tesla can put RWD on hold for most of the rest of this year if they have to and just try to catch up on dual motor cars.
Maybe you are right about people been waiting. However, I’ve got VIN assigned in about 24 hours after I click submit button. Had to defer it. My co-workers got their VIN assigned in approximately 6 hours after completing order in September. All RWD though.
So, I have my doubts about an infinite demand for M3s.

Maybe you are right about people been waiting. However, I’ve got VIN assigned in about 24 hours after I click submit button. Had to defer it. My co-workers got their VIN assigned in approximately 6 hours after completing order in September. All RWD though.
So, I have my doubts about an infinite demand for M3s.
Wonder if it's a Bay Area thing... no VIN here yet and delivery scheduled in 10 days

I would wait unless you need one right away.. Tesla is desperate right now to make money as they are jacking up the prices like crazy. Too many RWD's are in stock and they have to sell them. If "free supercharging" offer is for a year then it could be worth $150- $250 max as you can't really super charge daily unless you want to wreak the battery and that too only if you have chargers near by. At this current inventory level, they should offer $2500 discount (min 5% on MSRP) or so even with the $7500 federal credit. so they might offer better discount in Q4 is my guess.. others might disagree. If they offer you free supercharing for life then it is at least worth considering.

Supercharging is worth $3K/year to me. 3.7% battery degradation after 2.4 years and 63K miles for the first S. Nobody except livery charges on a daily basis. And livery will charge 3-4x/day and they still don't have appreciably worse degradation. When I bought the first S, I was told to expect 10% loss at 100K miles. I don't know anybody who's had 10% loss at 100K miles. These battery packs don't suck.

I get maybe 60% of rated range while in town due to short urban trips. So that just about doubles charging cost for the in-town portion if you have no garaging option. The 3 will do better but not by all that much unless you never leave town, in which case might as well buy a Dolt. Teslas were built for the road (well, and lately, setting records at the track, too :))

Just trying to dispel the FUD.

Point taken about having SCs nearby. A friend just found his dream home with 200 acres, and it's... 40 miles from one SC and about 75 miles from another.

It's sad that they're using SCing as a demand lever - they did this in early 2017 (only to reverse course 4 weeks after the delivery deadline passed) and it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

The topic is not about the assembly quality of M3. The question is about incentives Tesla offers now and may offer in future.

Oh, I assumed by "better one", you were talking about a better built car.

They are offering you an incentive now so that your payment can help boost their Q3 earnings. By end of next quarter, they won't have made the same error of overproducing RWDs, so they have no reason to offer you a better deal unless demand for their vehicles drops. If that happens, they might lower the price of their vehicles to increase demand and so you'll be able to buy it for a few thousand dollars less than now. So if you wait, you're basically trading the certainty of 1 year free supercharging for the possibility of being able to buy the car for a few thousand dollars less later.

I personally don't anticipate Tesla will lower their vehicle price by more than $1000 even if demand goes down since decreasing the price by more than that will scare investors. They will probably just raise more capital to survive until they can produce the base-model (and there is crazy high demand for the base model). I also don't think the chances of demand going down is more than 50%. Accepting those assumptions, if you wait, you'd basically be trading (insert value of 1 year supercharging for you) for a 50% of buying the car for $1000 less. Don't also forget to factor in the cost of not being able to enjoy the car for another 3 months.