Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Kept Their Words On 1-3 Month Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd pay a deposit up to $50k today for a Model Y. I can't fathom why Elon has not opened up reservations for Model Y in order to fund its development and ramp (no need for Wall Streeters...the customers are willing to provide the capital to build the product). I am hopeful that when Tesla reveals Model Y next Spring that they open up the reservation book in a similar way as Roadster (prepay for the vehicle in order to obtain first delivery).

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do $50k, but I'd drop another $1k reservation for 2 years for the Y.

I'd pay a deposit up to $50k today for a Model Y. I can't fathom why Elon has not opened up reservations for Model Y in order to fund its development and ramp (no need for Wall Streeters...the customers are willing to provide the capital to build the product). I am hopeful that when Tesla reveals Model Y next Spring that they open up the reservation book in a similar way as Roadster (prepay for the vehicle in order to obtain first delivery).

Talk is cheap ... let's see you actually produce proof of having paid $50k in advance :rolleyes:

They said that, and I changed to awd, haven't heard anything. Both my friends got their model 3's. Changing to performance is a $15,000 in addition to the LR RWD, not even sure why that would count. For $15,000 sure jump ahead all you want.
I see, and agree!. Well, you’re in Cali I am sure you’ll get priority over us Eastcoasters..Btw-Great user name. I lived in Rancho Palos Verdes an used to ride out to Glamis and go crazy with my Yamaha yfz450- lots of fond memories !

Reactions: Glamisduner
Talk is cheap ... let's see you actually produce proof of having paid $50k in advance :rolleyes:
My ideal world involves a Model Y reservation book where people who make the largest deposits move higher on the config/order priority list, and the dynamic deposit list being posted in real-time at tesla.com so that in essence there is an active auction market for delivery priority. I doubt Tesla will do that for lots of obvious reasons; it's just my ideal world.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet

My guess is this is the problem. You have 14 months worth of people that reserved before you, and it's likely that many of them want AWD as well. Those who ordered/reserved after you, and getting their cars before you are either getting just RWD, or P-AWD. There's quite a few RWDs staged around the country, and the P-AWD are the money makers. Either way, the wait is definitely painful, but I'd trust the timeline that they gave you.

Oh it's childish to have people cut in front of you in line and get mad? Good way to start a fight in many situations.
That's not true, they are only asking $2500 for non reservation holders who want to order. At least while I am writing this. So not only do they have 0 time invested, but also less money.
I didn't say everyone should have to wait, but those who have waited should get first dibs.
Its not really cutting because the product provided is different.
A better analogy would be if you were standing in line and Tesla opens a new line with a car config different than yours because they have overproduced that variant. The guy behind you in line ordered that config so he gets to step out of your line and go to the head of the line that matches his config. That's not really cutting. It would not be fair if that guy behind you waited for you to get your car that has not yet been built while his is ready just to make you feel better. That's what's happening. They overproduced a lot of RWD cars and held them back to gain another quarter of tax breaks. So now RWD configurations are abundant so they go ahead of the line but that is not stopping the production of the other variants.

Reactions: webdbbt and Bokonon
This is so frustrating watching everyone get their cars without waiting even a year.

Can't really be upset these members getting their vehicles are getting RWD, you had the choice to place an order for a RWD model and would have had it by now if you had. Can't be upset about that. There is essentially no one left in the reservation list still waiting for RWD to be delivered to them. It's the model that Tesla has been making the longest so probably most efficient in producing it and have probably quite a few available around the US to deliver. They need to continue to ship these models to continue to ramp production on all other models and on the long awaited 35K version.

Reactions: webdbbt

They aren't ready to disclose the prototype. It's not right to take a deposit without disclosing the prototype.

Sure doesn't feel like the P orders are being filled particularly quickly haha

Well I think it's based on what P you ordered - I feel badly for folks waiting for configurations that have a lower priority than others - for us, the Model 3P was available exactly when they said, August 1st. We delayed a couple days for our own reasons.

Our car is one I see everywhere around here - red w/black interior, RWD, AWD or ? BUT not P+ (you'd see the red brakes). So because what we wanted also seems to be whatever one else wanted, it arrived quickly. Threads on this forum for folks waiting on other colors back it up..

Everyone understands why the higher profit margin cars arrive first and while I'm sympathetic (really!) I can say that it's a ton of fun and hopefully everyone will appreciate their cars when they arrive.

I hope they do keep their word. I ordered Obsidian Black on 6/28 with a 4/1/2016 reservation and none of the Obsidian Blacks have been delivered yet.
My window is Aug - Oct.
i'm in the same boat as you. I ordered a red LR with a reservation on March 31/16. My delivery window is Aug-Oct and i'm still waiting. I was told last week that the delivery window is kind of a "worst case scenario" and they are closer to 4-6 weeks for delivery from configuration so I should be hearing from them in the next week or two. We will see.