Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launches Model 3 Highland refresh in North America - No Performance model listed as of 01.10.2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHAT new batteries?

Because there aren't any that exist

Nor are they any factories to build them right now.

Tesla will not standby and not try to get it qualified. It will qualify one day. They will also try to get it in their $25k Tesla. There are battery manufacturers out there that will make these in the US. Tesla will source them. Tesla may even allocate some batteries from Ys to the 3 to drive sale there.

It's not logical to think Tesla will not try to get that $7,500 point of sale discount/credit for the 3 and the $25k model.

Tesla will not standby and not try to get it qualified. It will qualify one day.

"one day"?

One day years from now sure.

They will also try to get it in their $25k Tesla. There are battery manufacturers out there that will make these in the US. Tesla will source them. Tesla may even allocate some batteries from Ys to the 3 to drive sale there.

Again If you're talking in FUTURE YEARS- sure.

Eventually such batteries will exist once people build new battery plants that can supply Tesla. But nobody has even broken ground on such a plant and they take years to build and ramp up.

Today however there are no batteries for them to buy that qualify-- from anyone.

They only way they can get the Model 3 to qualify for tax credits again is to improve 4680 density and production capacity to both meet Cybertruck demand and move a significant chunk of Model Y back to 4680 structural battery.

That will free up more 2170 from Giga Nevada to put back into Model 3.

Or wait for a third party to produce more 2170 in the US for them.

None of this is likely to happen anytime soon.

Reactions: Falcon73 and ucmndd
I scheduled my test drive for tomorrow. My biggest issue with our most recent Teslas were the lack of ventilated seats. This will be a game charger I expect for me.

I rented a MS recently, 2017 and my back was a sweat box even with the AC cranked. Lots of leaning forward to try and alleviate it was silly, lol.

I still have a camera from our MY for the front though I'm baffled it appears we still need to rely on the missing front bumper camera for parking sensors, a year later.

And still no 360 it seems... someday? Lol

Also, the RWD still has LFP like the M3 I rented last summer, right? I really want that chemistry.

I scheduled my test drive for tomorrow. My biggest issue with our most recent Teslas were the lack of ventilated seats. This will be a game charger I expect for me.

I rented a MS recently, 2017 and my back was a sweat box even with the AC cranked. Lots of leaning forward to try and alleviate it was silly, lol.

I still have a camera from our MY for the front though I'm baffled it appears we still need to rely on the missing front bumper camera for parking sensors, a year later.

And still no 360 it seems... someday? Lol

Also, the RWD still has LFP like the M3 I rented last summer, right? I really want that chemistry.
The M3 Buyer's Guide shows that the M3 RWD Highland in Europe and Asia uses LFP.

It doesn't mention US, maybe because no one has had one delivered yet.

MT351 Rear Wheel Drive (Highland)​

• Produced: China
  • Battery BTF1 from VIN TBC and continues (Oct 2023 and continues) for Europe and APAC

Sept 2023 saw the announcement of the Highland refresh Model 3 although the availability in different countries varies with production expected in China initially from late Sept and deliveries occuring from late 2023.

The Highland update includes many notable changes, the most controversial of which is the removal of the stalk controls for indicators, headlights, windscreen wiping and autopilot, replacing these with buttons on the steering wheel.

The batteries are unchanged from previous models but improvements to efficiency have resulted in changes to the performance. WLTP range is 513km, up from 491km. It can still do 0-100km/h 6.1s but the top speed is now 201km/h, down from 225km/h.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
The M3H (RWD) Mission Viejo Mall test drive yesterday was a good success. This was a daytime drive. My biggest takeaways:

Pros:
  1. As expected, the ventilated seats are awesome. My biggest feature in a car, even in Winter here in SoCal.
  2. The seats felt more comfortable than our old MY.
  3. The Photon wheels look way better than the old Aero wheels.
  4. The new gear shifting experience was much better than I was expecting.
  5. We liked the Stealth Gray color and it's the free one new per the ordering system (we made a reservation already).
  6. We liked the new center console/cup holder arrangement.
  7. Plenty of power in the RWD version. More than enough for us.
  8. I liked the new ACC/Autopilot controls, using the right (press) wheel.
  9. The trunk seemed quite spacious and (apparently), the rear seats can be folded down? (If so, probably not a new feature - I never tried the one time I rented the M3 last Spring).
  10. Better looking car overall.
Cons:
  1. Not having a left stalk drove me nuts. This will be very hard to get use to, having driven with a left stalk for 30+ years. I certainly couldn't get use to it during the test drive.
  2. NO front bumper cam. And, of course, no USS.
  3. The center screen still doesn't pan towards the driver.
  4. The distances were missing from the "T.V. parking sensors." The advisor advised this is a bug and will be fixed.
  5. No digital rear-view mirror. We really like this in our other car, especially since I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'0" (no rear-view mirror adjustments needed w/digital).
Other comments:
  1. It's still a sedan and not a hatchback.
  2. Still no HUD, driver screen, grab handles, or roof shade (no surprises here)
  3. We couldn't find a USB port in the forward center console, but 12V only. There's 1 USB-C in the area under the armrest, however.
  4. The rear (passenger) screen doesn't do anything for us (no kids).
  5. The HVAC went panel has been re-designed. This may limit our options for a screen-add for now.
  6. Ambient light is fine, but I should check it at night.
  7. The rear seats are perforated as well (though not ventilated)
  8. I forgot to try the wipers. With no left stalk there's no button to push. Hmmm.
  9. It didn't seem too low for me.
  10. I forgot to check the charge screen to see it shows the LFP "limits" like my LFP M3 rental had last Spring. The advisor thinks it's LFP, but I want to confirm.
Also noted above, we made a reservation, but we are in no rush. We would like to get it around June.

Attachments

• 20240126_124114.jpg
    20240126_124114.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240126_124120.jpg
    20240126_124120.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240126_124133.jpg
    20240126_124133.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240126_124230.jpg
    20240126_124230.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 56
The M3H (RWD) Mission Viejo Mall test drive yesterday was a good success. This was a daytime drive. My biggest takeaways:

Pros:
  1. As expected, the ventilated seats are awesome. My biggest feature in a car, even in Winter here in SoCal.
  5. We liked the Stealth Gray color and it's the free one new per the ordering system (we made a reservation already).
  9. The trunk seemed quite spacious and (apparently), the rear seats can be folded down? (If so, probably not a new feature - I never tried the one time I rented the M3 last Spring).
Cons:
  1. Not having a left stalk drove me nuts. This will be very hard to get use to, having driven with a left stalk for 30+ years. I certainly couldn't get use to it during the test drive.
  4. The distances were missing from the "T.V. parking sensors." The advisor advised this is a bug and will be fixed.
  5. No digital rear-view mirror. We really like this in our other car, especially since I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'0" (no rear-view mirror adjustments needed w/digital).
Other comments:
  3. We couldn't find a USB port in the forward center console, but 12V only. There's 1 USB-C in the area under the armrest, however.
  5. The HVAC went panel has been re-designed. This may limit our options for a screen-add for now.
  8. I forgot to try the wipers. With no left stalk there's no button to push. Hmmm.
  10. I forgot to check the charge screen to see it shows the LFP "limits" like my LFP M3 rental had last Spring. The advisor thinks it's LFP, but I want to confirm.
Also noted above, we made a reservation, but we are in no rush. We would like to get it around June.
Why make a reservation now if you don’t want the car until June? They are showing deliveries starting next month.

Reactions: E90alex

Pros:
Cons:
Other comments:
There is a wiper button on the wheel now, in place of the stalk button.

Has anyone found empirical spec for turning radius improvements ?
The old version seemed large compared to similar wheelbase cars, curious if they resolved that discrepancy with the new version?

Highland has a turning circle of 11.7 m (38.4 ft)
Old version has a turning circle of 11.6 m (38 ft)

Reactions: rotarypower101

Highland has a turning circle of 11.7 m (38.4 ft)
Old version has a turning circle of 11.6 m (38 ft)

Is there a reference for the 11.7m figure, or even independent testing yet anyone has found?

Thank you for the reply, have not seen a figure stated on that yet.

So based on the video referenced "notably tighter steering radius", is actually a Larger radius VS outgoing Model 3?

Disappointing!

That was one of the personal details I didn't care for test driving Model 3/Y , was excited to hear maybe they had identified that detail and rectified it.